Home

Blu-Ray to 360?

This is a discussion on Blu-Ray to 360? within the Console/Portable Talk forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Other > Console/Portable Talk
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-22-2009, 05:55 PM   #1
MVP

OVR: 31
Blu-Ray to 360?

Interesting... http://gizmodo.com/5387238
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-22-2009, 05:58 PM   #2
All Star

rockchisler's Arena

OVR: 40
Re: Blu-Ray to 360?

Ahh yes the on again off blu ray on 360 talk.

Follow me on www.Twitter.com/Rockchisler

Just type [ SPOILER ] and [ / SPOILER ], without any spaces.

ROOKIE KILLER
Old 10-22-2009, 06:23 PM   #3
All Star

bkfount's Arena

OVR: 21

well MS only opposed it because they didn't want DVD to look worse for game development. Now, it's been cemented for this generation that bluray doesn't matter for multiplatform games, which are often better on the 360. MS never cared about the movie advantages, they're even fine with it on the pc.

I don't really see the point for an optional bluray addon at this point though. At best, they'd get it down to $99, which still makes the ps3 look more appealing if you're interested in bluray movies. They missed the window to when it would make sense to take that marketable feature away from the ps3, but again, they were overly sensitive to making bluray look good.

However, they said digital distribution was the future of their platform, and that won't be a realistic option for gaming for at least a decade. It's almost certain that the next xbox will have bluray as the primary media format.
Old 10-23-2009, 06:07 PM   #4
DickDalewood

OVR:

I don't know if I totally agree with that BK.

Yes, in the past, most 360 games looked better than their PS3 counterparts, but that difference has all but been erased. Also, of course the Blu-Ray isn't factoring in, the games are being made on 360 first, and therefor haven't been created to utilize the extra space of the disc. Developers aren't going to make two seperate games, they are simply going to port, like they already have.

But to say there isn't a difference or benefit isn't entirely true... just look at first party games like Uncharted 2.

And I'm not saying one system is better than the other either, both are great at certain things, but the only reason Blu-Ray hasn't mattered for multi-plats is because developers haven't made it matter.

Old 10-23-2009, 09:57 PM   #5
RIP Brodie!!!

CaptainZombie's Arena

OVR: 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by DickDalewood
I don't know if I totally agree with that BK.

Yes, in the past, most 360 games looked better than their PS3 counterparts, but that difference has all but been erased. Also, of course the Blu-Ray isn't factoring in, the games are being made on 360 first, and therefor haven't been created to utilize the extra space of the disc. Developers aren't going to make two seperate games, they are simply going to port, like they already have.

But to say there isn't a difference or benefit isn't entirely true... just look at first party games like Uncharted 2.

And I'm not saying one system is better than the other either, both are great at certain things, but the only reason Blu-Ray hasn't mattered for multi-plats is because developers haven't made it matter.
This still holds true to today with a good portion cross platform games. Due to the anti aliasing issue with the PS3, games like NBA2K10 and SDvR10 are a jaggy mess on the PS3 while they aren't on the 360.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-23-2009, 10:26 PM   #6
DickDalewood

OVR:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GearsX8
This still holds true to today with a good portion cross platform games. Due to the anti aliasing issue with the PS3, games like NBA2K10 and SDvR10 are a jaggy mess on the PS3 while they aren't on the 360.
I dunno George. Maybe it's just because I haven't played both versions, but I think NBA 2k10 looks fantastic, along with others like Batman, and Brutal Legend.

Maybe my TV is just super awesome

Old 10-23-2009, 11:00 PM   #7
Chelsea, Assemble!

Altimus's Arena

OVR: 58

To this day I don't understand why Sony didn't pick a GPU with eDRAM for AA like the Xenos in the 360.
Old 10-24-2009, 11:27 AM   #8
Extra Life 11/3/18

ExtremeGamer's Arena

OVR: 70

It's not happening.

Now that I've seen instant on 1080P in action on the 360, I'm reconsidering future Blu-ray for myself. Why pay $20-25 a movie when I can rent it for 5 whenever I want, in the same 1080P video signal.

Watched a movie last night, it started within 8 seconds of hitting play. Truly awesome.

Mixer Stream

XBox - ExtremeGamer
PSN - ExtremeGamer
Switch - 4640-8613-7710

« Operation Sports Forums > Other > Console/Portable Talk »