Home

Remember When Sports Games Were Just "Fun"?

This is a discussion on Remember When Sports Games Were Just "Fun"? within the Console/Portable Talk forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Other > Console/Portable Talk
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-05-2010, 05:08 PM   #49

OVR: 34
Re: Remember When Sports Games Were Just "Fun"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pared
Damn it Dave. Don't you realize you could've put the game back in and just replayed the SB since you didn't save?

But you bent the disc so
Wouldn't that be unsim?

When I look back at when that happened, there was probably some displaced anger in that, and the issue with the game was probably the straw that broke the camel's back.
Old 02-05-2010, 05:55 PM   #50
yellow

23's Arena

OVR: 65

Bent the game, lol

At that point they had your money and it didnt matter, you just screwed yourself out of a game man.

I am not for all of the tiny nitpicks because guys here on this site alone can be pretty petty about alot of things that mean nothing.

On the other hand I was just trying to add the balance that alot of things people deal with now didnt happen like that, save the blowing in the nintendo cartridges because they wouldn't cut on.

I'd love to see peoples reactions to that today, but then again a console that conks out every 2 months to a year is worse
Old 02-05-2010, 05:56 PM   #51
Hall Of Fame

Heelfan71's Arena

OVR: 44

I went through a period where I found something wrong with every game and ended up not playing it. It was one of the All Star Baseball games that it hit me. I found some "game killing bug" and didn't play it anymore. Meanwhile I was playing Little League World Series (NES) instead having a blast. I then changed my whole outlook on games and now play them for fun. Probably why I enjoy almost every game now.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-05-2010, 05:59 PM   #52

Marino's Arena

OVR: 55

Playing CH 2k8 now has really helped me turn my perspective back towards trying to have more fun.

The competitive thing for me still does not prevent me from having fun, when I lose, I try to get right back at the game to get better.

Now when I play Madden, I try to just have fun, not point out negative things.

And with the Show, I guess since baseball is my favorite sport, I give it benefit of the doubt, like I do all baseball games, and just play it because its fun and I love the sport.
Old 02-06-2010, 09:37 AM   #53

OVR: 34

Maybe we tend to chase after what will never be. There's always going to be something to fix. Bhurst and his dynasties on here shows you can enjoy something and have fun. He ran an NHL franchise with a dated game. Someone like that can overlook what another might claim unplayable.

I think the bitter/sweet of such forums like these is that you sometimes have the negative posts overly accentuating a game's quality. Some gush over the "greatness" of a game and some bleed over how one glitch is a "game-killer."
Old 02-06-2010, 06:06 PM   #54
Donny Baseball!

Skyboxer's Arena

OVR: 55

Other than to see when Knight has rosters ready (I always use my own baseball sliders.)..once MLB 10 The Show hits... I wont be visiting the MLB forum. Have no desire to see all the miserable people in th world post how the game has this or that game killer...

One more way I'm staying with the fun

Skyboxer OS TWITCH
STEAM
PSN: Skyboxeros
SWITCH 8211-0709-4612
XBOX Skyboxer OS
Old 02-06-2010, 06:45 PM   #55
MVP

OVR: 12

All depends on what problems people are finding.

Of course if its issues like socks are not correct, or no hand towels etc...then yes , that is certinaly nitpicking.

However, when you have issues like games freezing up and being unplayable.., recievers always running out of bounds when they have 10 yards before they get to the sidelines..recievers that drop 80% of all the passes thrown to them..substituions that pull your players out of the game and will not let you re-sub them back in...then there are serious problems.

These are problems that, prior to this recent generation of sports titles, we have never seen before.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-06-2010, 06:54 PM   #56
Banned

OVR: 6

I agree with you. I read an interesting article the other day how companies have forgotten how to make games. They are trying to make things as realistic as possible. Most of these developers aren't even developers anymore. They are graphic artists and try to simulate reality. That's part of the problem.

Somewhere a long the line something was lost. I just play games for funa nd don't really care and have never been someone who nitpicks the little details. The people who do this don't get it imo and kind of annoy me. They try to sound smart but they really are missing something upstairs imo. Not an insult, it's just true.

I've been playing computer games for a long time. Back in the day computer games were different. I don't know if it was the audience these companies were trying to appeal to or what. Most people who gamed back in the day know what I mean. It was different. The people who played games were intelligent in themselves and a different breed, and ahead of the curve in a way. These days everyone and their sister and every joe idiot plays video games and has their two cents and these companies being who they are and trying to market these games end up trying to appeal to too many different people and you end up with games that have a whole lot of crap but don't do anything that great. Mainstream watered down effect. You end up with people who tout these games and carry them around like a trophy like mine is bigger than yours and you end up with just a lot of absurdity and nothing gets done.

IMO EA is a perfect example of this. They've lost what made them a successful company in the first place which was just making fun good games. 2k was born because it was a bunch of people who wanted something more detailed and realistic and got tired of playing the same madden games every year with the same issues. That's a positive spint o put on it, but I do wish some of these companies would stand up sometimes and show a backbone a bit and grow up a bit and stop being so arrogant, and just get back to making the best game they can instead of listening to so many people and trying to sell the most games. EA and 2k have become the lord of the flies.

It's like the popular girl in school. YOu can be popular but those kind of people are usually lacking substance. I'd applaud these companies. Not just sports games, but if they just got back to making intelligent original games that are fun. That's what built their empire in the first place. I've noticed sort of shift a bit. Maybe with the economy the way it is, companies are starting to realize people who have some money and are adults and intelligent people are the ones who really push these games.

I'm so sick of twitch fests and graphic pushing and first person shooters and trying to make these games as realistic as possible. I enjoy them for what they are, but still. HEavy Rain is coming. I used to love just point and click adventure games. I'm excited about that game and it seems somewhat grown up. ME2 was pretty good. Uncharted 2.. Alan Wake coming. These are pretty good games that look just fun to me. I hope they go even farther in that direction, as far as creating intelligent, fun games, and it isn't just a mirage. EA rereleasing NBA Jam. Monkey Island being rerereleased hopefully signifies some sort of shift. I had fun playing jumpman as a kid on my commodore 64. The reason tecmo bowl is fun is because its a "video game" and it's meant to be fun. It's not trying to be anything other than that.

Last edited by kgisbeast; 02-06-2010 at 11:21 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Other > Console/Portable Talk »