Home

PS3 Audio Setting

This is a discussion on PS3 Audio Setting within the Console/Portable Talk forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Other > Console/Portable Talk
Replicating the Playoffs Experience in NBA 2K24
TopSpin 2K25 Review - A Winning Return for the Series
Out Of The Park Baseball 25 Review: An Impressively Deep Managerial Experience

Old 05-10-2010, 09:11 AM   #1
Hall Of Fame

mjb2124's Arena

OVR: 32
PS3 Audio Setting

I rented 2 movie's off of the PS Store this past weekend (one was the SD version and the other was the HD version). I noticed while playing both movies, my receiver (HK AVR) only displayed the center channel, front 2 speakers and subwoofer as being utilized. I verified this when I didn't hear anything from the 2 rear speakers.

Is there a setting that I'm missing which will utilize my full 5.1 setup? I tried messing with a few settings last night, but my wife wanted to watch the movie so I left it alone.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-10-2010, 09:49 AM   #2
RIP Brodie!!!

CaptainZombie's Arena

OVR: 49
Re: PS3 Audio Setting

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjb2124
I rented 2 movie's off of the PS Store this past weekend (one was the SD version and the other was the HD version). I noticed while playing both movies, my receiver (HK AVR) only displayed the center channel, front 2 speakers and subwoofer as being utilized. I verified this when I didn't hear anything from the 2 rear speakers.

Is there a setting that I'm missing which will utilize my full 5.1 setup? I tried messing with a few settings last night, but my wife wanted to watch the movie so I left it alone.
Did you not hear anything at all from the rears? I rented Survival of the Dead over the weekend off the PS Store myself, and even though it said 2 CH audio in the description it used everything. I can double check tonight since we get these for 14 days.
Old 05-10-2010, 10:00 AM   #3
Hall Of Fame

bigfnjoe96's Arena

OVR: 28

mjb, you might need to change the Surround Settings on your receiver. I don't rent from the PS3, but stream netflix via my 360 & most movies are in 2 channel Surround, but what I do is set my receiver to a Surround setting that allows for 2 channel audio to be distributed to all my speakers including my sub.

What kind of receiver do you have?
Old 05-10-2010, 10:30 AM   #4
Hall Of Fame

mjb2124's Arena

Gears - I didn't hear anything from the 2 rears, but I also didn't jump up every second to check it out. X-men-The Last Stand was what we watched last night. I didn't even look at the description, only at the little image on my receiver which showed 3.1, but not the rears lit up. Did I miss something? I only got my rentals until the 16th and if I started it, it expired in the first 24 hours. So by tonight, it should be expired. These were the first movies I've rented off of the PS3 so my understanding of the whole thing might be off.

BFJ - I have a Harman Kardon AVR 340. Blu-Rays play fine through the PS3, it's only content I rented through the PS Store. On the right hand side of my receiver it shows all speakers and will show a letter inside of the speaker when it's being used. I saw that on the center, fronts and sub, but not on the rears. The mode was "Logic 7 7CH MU". I let the receiver choose the mode.
Old 05-10-2010, 10:37 AM   #5
Resident film pundit

Blzer's Arena

OVR: 55

This is exactly why I was afraid to ever rent/buy anything from the store, because if I ever downloaded trailers this is how they would play.

But check and make sure that it's available in 5.1, and if it is you can change it to that when you're watching the movie. I did a blind rent with The Hurt Locker some time ago and noticed this. While watching the movie itself (I guess when you start it up), just press Triangle and find the Audio Options icon (I think that's what it's called). Press it once so that it will go from "English 1" to "English 2". The second choice should be a hot 5.1 mix. Sounded pretty good after that.

I was definitely fearing this when I was first hearing some trailers that I downloaded, though. Again, before renting, just make sure that it is available in 5.1 as well.
Samsung PN60F8500 PDP / Anthem MRX 720 / Klipsch RC-62 II / Klipsch RF-82 II (x2) / Insignia NS-B2111 (x2) / SVS PC13-Ultra / SVS SB-2000 / Sony MDR-7506 Professional / Audio-Technica ATH-R70x / Sony PS3 & PS4 / DirecTV HR44-500 / DarbeeVision DVP-5000 / Panamax M5400-PM / Elgato HD60
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-10-2010, 07:18 PM   #6
Hall Of Fame

bigfnjoe96's Arena

Quote:
BFJ - I have a Harman Kardon AVR 340. Blu-Rays play fine through the PS3, it's only content I rented through the PS Store. On the right hand side of my receiver it shows all speakers and will show a letter inside of the speaker when it's being used. I saw that on the center, fronts and sub, but not on the rears. The mode was "Logic 7 7CH MU". I let the receiver choose the mode.
Looking @ your manual you may want to set your receiver to any 1 of these options. Test these options & see which 1's give you sound in all of your speakers, including your SUB:

Analog (2-channel), Dolby Pro Logic II (Movie, Music or Game)
Dolby Pro Logic
Dolby 3 Stereo
Dolby Virtual Speaker Reference (2 or 3 Speaker)
Dolby Virtual Speaker
Wide (2, 3, 4 or 5 Speaker)
Dolby Pro Logic IIx* (Movie, Music or Game)
DTS Neo:6 (3-channel Cinema, 5-channel Cinema or Music or 6-channel or 48kHz Cinema or Music*)
Logic 7 (5-channel Cinema, Music or Enhance; 7-channel Cinema, Music or Enhance*)
Hall 1 (5- or 6-channel*)
Hall 2 (5- or 6-channel*)
Theater (5- or 6-channel*)
VMAx (N or F), Surround Off**
5-Channel Stereo 7-Channel Stereo*
DSP Surround Off
Old 05-11-2010, 11:44 AM   #7
Hall Of Fame

mjb2124's Arena

Thanks BFJ and Blzer.

I'll have to take a look at all those settings.
Old 05-11-2010, 12:09 PM   #8
Hall Of Fame

bigfnjoe96's Arena

Quote:
Thanks BFJ and Blzer.

I'll have to take a look at all those settings.
BTW, are you running your audio via HDMI or OPTICAL?

« Operation Sports Forums > Other > Console/Portable Talk »