Home

Sports Games on Demand?

This is a discussion on Sports Games on Demand? within the Console/Portable Talk forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Other > Console/Portable Talk
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-24-2010, 04:19 PM   #9
Go Wings!

OVR: 41
Re: Sports Games on Demand?

Quote:
Originally Posted by spit_bubble
Yeah there's that too, because most of the games you see are greatest hits type of games, for no more than $30.

At this point publishers have only dabbled with this, like the NCAA Basketball tourney edition, or even the NBA 2K combine title. I wonder if the market will expand with the bigger HDDs that are coming out as standard with each console.

One thing they could possibly do is release a "light" version of a game, and strip it of franchise mode. This probably wouldn't take much in terms of developing costs, and might just bring in more sales.

I know for myself I don't always get into the dynasty aspect of a game, so a cheaper stripped down version of a game would have more appeal to me, as a "pick up and play" type of game. I'd probably buy more sports games if they were available like this.
We just have the HD size issue now...games are big enough and consoles aren't like PC's where we can just add new HD's, so people who like to have tons of games are kinda screwed. I think the next gen systems will be more adaptable (more USB memory support, something) to allow for bigger HD's and adding on space.
Old 09-24-2010, 06:09 PM   #10
MVP

spit_bubble's Arena

OVR: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgoblue
We just have the HD size issue now...games are big enough and consoles aren't like PC's where we can just add new HD's, so people who like to have tons of games are kinda screwed. I think the next gen systems will be more adaptable (more USB memory support, something) to allow for bigger HD's and adding on space.
Huh?

Consoles are like PCs now, where you can remove and upgrade the hard disc drive. Even the standard HDDs that come packaged with a console are big enough to hold a decent amount of content.

Then if you consider potential "light" versions of a sports game at a reduced price, which you could re-download at any time... Seems to me like there's a market.

I know with Madden and NBA 2K this year, I'm not getting either... But if there were a pick-up-and-play version for download at $20-30, it might be a different story.

And Onlive... I mean, eh... Already got my set up, and who knows if Onlive will stay afloat at this point... Though I do like what they are doing.

Last edited by spit_bubble; 09-24-2010 at 06:13 PM. Reason: typo
Old 09-30-2010, 08:40 PM   #11
MVP

spit_bubble's Arena

Assassin's Creed 2 just released on the Xbox Marketplace for $40. That's the highest price game I've seen on there. Who knows, maybe the industry is just now slowly shifting.

Seems to me that a big name sports game release could easily do well as a download. If they just disabled the franchise mode, then priced it at $30, and dealt with whatever licensing red tape that was out there...

From a consumer standpoint I think there would be great appeal in this.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-05-2010, 08:10 AM   #12
MVP

spit_bubble's Arena

Sorry to harp on this... But if you look at all the other junk they have up for sale in the Games on Demand section in the Xbox Marketplace... You're telling me Madden or NBA 2k couldn't sell???

Come on... Rework that license, do what ya have to do, and get your game up for sale!

Old 10-05-2010, 10:35 AM   #13
MVP

spit_bubble's Arena

Ha!

Right on cue... I happen to check the new releases this morning... And NHL 2K9 is there for $19.99.

Good job 2Ksports.

Though NHL 2K9 seems like kind of an odd choice.

Well, whatever... Good to see.

Old 10-05-2010, 11:31 AM   #14
Banned

OVR: 62

Quote:
Ha!

Right on cue... I happen to check the new releases this morning... And NHL 2K9 is there for $19.99.

Good job 2Ksports.

Though NHL 2K9 seems like kind of an odd choice.

Well, whatever... Good to see.

Now that is interesting......
Old 10-06-2010, 06:04 AM   #15
MVP

spit_bubble's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by MassNole
Now that is interesting......
It would be really interesting to have the most recent games... With perhaps a small price drop at midseason... Like say Madden 11 in November for $49.99.

Though I kind of get the sense that NHL 2K9 is acting more as a sacrificial lamb here, to test the waters a bit and see how a sports game would do as a download.

In other words I'm not expecting a flood of sports games to hit the Games on Demand market, though it would be nice.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-16-2010, 06:56 AM   #16
MVP

spit_bubble's Arena

Quote:
...Like say Madden 11 in November for $49.99...
Or NBA 2K11, now... At full price. They'd have at least one sale, from me.

The strategy of releasing old sports games on demand probably won't work too well anyways... Because sports games become obsolete a lot quicker than other genres.

« Operation Sports Forums > Other > Console/Portable Talk »