Home

Just bought a New PS3 slim 120GB , need help

This is a discussion on Just bought a New PS3 slim 120GB , need help within the Console/Portable Talk forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Other > Console/Portable Talk
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-08-2010, 02:10 PM   #1
Banned

OVR: 38
Question Just bought a New PS3 slim 120GB , need help

Hi Guys ,
couldnt find my questions in the search thread so maybe some of you guys can answer my questions ?

1. Can I use a usb stick to transfer my info from my old fat 40gb ps3 to my New ps3 slim , if so everything rosters , music and my old account ?

2. I take excellent care of all my items but is there anything special like a fan needed for my ps3 as I keep it out in the open , dusted and out of sunlight ?

3. I'll take any tips on matienace like should I turn the system off every few hours ? I also heard its bad to watch blurays or pause screens but I want to watch movies too .

4. Toys R Us had a 3 year warranty plan for $69.99 should I take it , I know I had 2 others die within a year and a half but I gotta ask as I had sony replace one free .

Thanks for any advice in advance Anth
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-08-2010, 02:20 PM   #2
RIP Brodie!!!

CaptainZombie's Arena

OVR: 49
Re: Just bought a New PS3 slim 120GB , need help

My thoughts in black below.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dorismary
Hi Guys ,
couldnt find my questions in the search thread so maybe some of you guys can answer my questions ?

1. Can I use a usb stick to transfer my info from my old fat 40gb ps3 to my New ps3 slim , if so everything rosters , music and my old account ?

Yes, you can use a USB stick.....but I would advise using the transfer tool which should keep licensed saves. You have to hook up both systems to each other.

2. I take excellent care of all my items but is there anything special like a fan needed for my ps3 as I keep it out in the open , dusted and out of sunlight ?

No, you should be good.

3. I'll take any tips on matienace like should I turn the system off every few hours ? I also heard its bad to watch blurays or pause screens but I want to watch movies too .

You should be good with the newer slim vs. the older fatty consoles.

4. Toys R Us had a 3 year warranty plan for $69.99 should I take it , I know I had 2 others die within a year and a half but I gotta ask as I had sony replace one free .

If it gives you a piece of mind, go for it.......but I stopped by warranties on my systems.

Thanks for any advice in advance Anth
Old 10-08-2010, 03:17 PM   #3
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainZombie
My thoughts in black below.
Thanks CaptainZombie but I would like your opinion on more thing
(Whats your feeling on playtime per session do you really think it matters as I used to do edits for 8 hours straight once and while and never had a issue till a year and half later ? )
Is it Mileage or just luck ?
Thanks again A

Last edited by dorismary; 10-08-2010 at 03:19 PM.
Old 10-08-2010, 03:22 PM   #4
RIP Brodie!!!

CaptainZombie's Arena

OVR: 49

Quote:
Thanks CaptainZombie but I would like your opinion on more thing
(Whats your feeling on playtime per session do you really think it matters as I used to do edits for 8 hours straight once and while and never had a issue till a year and half later ? ) Mileage must be a real issue overtime correct .
Thanks again A
I wouldn't worry about how many hours you put in at a time. These new slims to seem to be very durable. If you feel worried, give the system a 30 minute break if it will give you a peace of mind. Then resume playing......but the most I have gone straight was about 3-4 hours, I think I did that once or twice since owning the slim. It is very rare that I ever get more than 2 hours of gaming in one sitting......most of the time its an hour here and there. If the system is going to die or overheat, it will and there isn't too much else you can do to prevent it if you are keeping it in an open area with ventilation and using a good power supply.
Old 10-08-2010, 03:35 PM   #5
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainZombie
I wouldn't worry about how many hours you put in at a time. These new slims to seem to be very durable. If you feel worried, give the system a 30 minute break if it will give you a peace of mind. Then resume playing......but the most I have gone straight was about 3-4 hours, I think I did that once or twice since owning the slim. It is very rare that I ever get more than 2 hours of gaming in one sitting......most of the time its an hour here and there. If the system is going to die or overheat, it will and there isn't too much else you can do to prevent it if you are keeping it in an open area with ventilation and using a good power supply.

Good Power supply ?
I have mine hooked up to a power surge control heavy duty and I unplug the ps3 in storms , good enough ?

Also if you dont mind when I get the fat PS3 fixed monday how can I merge that info to the new ps3 slim ?
Thanks for putting me at ease man
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-08-2010, 03:50 PM   #6
MVP

ElroyJetson's Arena

OVR: 20

One thing the slims will do is you'll hear a crack kinda noise and thats completely normal, when the slims heat up when they are on the plastic casing makes a cracking noise which isnt nothing to worry about its just expanding a little bit.
Minnesota Vikings
JetLife
Old 10-08-2010, 03:52 PM   #7
MVP

ElroyJetson's Arena

OVR: 20

Quote:
Good Power supply ?
I have mine hooked up to a power surge control heavy duty and I unplug the ps3 in storms , good enough ?

Also if you dont mind when I get the fat PS3 fixed monday how can I merge that info to the new ps3 slim ?
Thanks for putting me at ease man
When you say merge do you mean your online info and what not? If so just go on your fat ps3 and deactivate your account, then sign out, then on the slim sign in and activate it.
Minnesota Vikings
JetLife
Old 10-08-2010, 03:58 PM   #8
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by shorty199127
When you say merge do you mean your online info and what not? If so just go on your fat ps3 and deactivate your account, then sign out, then on the slim sign in and activate it.
I meant more like my music and video game saves but I will do the account like you said , Thanks

« Operation Sports Forums > Other > Console/Portable Talk »