Home

Kotaku: Microsoft And Sony Targeting 2014 For New Consoles

This is a discussion on Kotaku: Microsoft And Sony Targeting 2014 For New Consoles within the Console/Portable Talk forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Other > Console/Portable Talk
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-09-2011, 01:59 AM   #73
Donny Baseball!

Skyboxer's Arena

OVR: 55
Re: Kotaku: Microsoft And Sony Targeting 2014 For New Consoles

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmood88
It has nothing to do with not having good ideas, they need original games to sell, which is something that doesn't happen. The CEO of Ubisoft was talking about how he wanted the new consoles to come out because at this point in the console lifecycle, it's hard for new IP's to come out and do well. Blame the market for the lack of innovation, not the developers.
Can't say I agree......
Plus "original games" = "good ideas"
It's all too easy to just do what's been working (Cookie cutter) and not chance a bomb. So while it may not be the developer, it's the bean counters.
In any case I just don't see how any new console automatically means great increase in advancing the games. (ie...Madden anyone??)
So while it may not always be the developer, sometimes it is.
I hope we do get some though. and will always be excited for new systems.

Skyboxer OS TWITCH
STEAM
PSN: Skyboxeros
SWITCH 8211-0709-4612
XBOX Skyboxer OS
Old 05-09-2011, 10:54 AM   #74
Sean Payton: Retribution

jmood88's Arena

OVR: 40

You said you don't agree but made my point in your response. With the amount of money it takes to make games these days, they aren't going to take chances with something new but with a new console there is the opportunity for new IP's to have a chance. Right now the established brands are entrenched in people's minds and newer games don't have a great chance of succeeding. I do agree with you though that we have too many pretty versions of things that could've been done on the xbox and ps3.

If I went any bigger, it would not have properly fit with my equipment, so I had to optimize. I'm okay with it, but I also know what I'm missing with those five inches. :)
Old 05-09-2011, 11:43 AM   #75
Donny Baseball!

Skyboxer's Arena

Quote:
You said you don't agree but made my point in your response. With the amount of money it takes to make games these days, they aren't going to take chances with something new but with a new console there is the opportunity for new IP's to have a chance. Right now the established brands are entrenched in people's minds and newer games don't have a great chance of succeeding. I do agree with you though that we have too many pretty versions of things that could've been done on the xbox and ps3.
Guess what I mean/meant is I didn't agree that it's not the developers decisions at times. Also I'm saying just because a new system comes out doesn't mean games will advance. ie.. my Madden reference.

Having a new system gives the opportunity but isn't a given with some developers, IMO. In any case I'll be first in line to grab one. I just get excited with new equipment and the possibilities...

Skyboxer OS TWITCH
STEAM
SWITCH 8211-0709-4612
XBOX Skyboxer OS
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-09-2011, 11:58 AM   #76
Rookie

OVR: 5

Quote:
It has nothing to do with not having good ideas, they need original games to sell, which is something that doesn't happen. The CEO of Ubisoft was talking about how he wanted the new consoles to come out because at this point in the console lifecycle, it's hard for new IP's to come out and do well. Blame the market for the lack of innovation, not the developers.
I wonder if he's heard of LA Noire. Or even Red Dead Redemption? (previous generation title updated for current consoles)

Even Batman Arkum Asylum is a fairly recent game and a new IP (although admittedly building of a successful comic/movie brand)

Consumers are smart enough now and have enough access to media information to know when a decent game is coming out. Sure, it's harder to hit big with a small title at this point, but that's probably because the consumer is more educated at this point of the console life cycle.

It's harder to make bank when there are a lot of options out there (there's still a number of great games I have never played/purchased). When you are one game out of 30 available at launch, you're pretty much guaranteed easy money from gullible consumers who need some games to play on their $400 investment.

So yeah, I still blame the developers for being lazy. It's just easier to make money on lazy developing earlier in a console's lifecycle, I'll give him that.
Old 05-09-2011, 01:09 PM   #77
Sean Payton: Retribution

jmood88's Arena

OVR: 40

I love how on the internet everyone who doesn't do what someone wants is lazy.

If I went any bigger, it would not have properly fit with my equipment, so I had to optimize. I'm okay with it, but I also know what I'm missing with those five inches. :)
Old 05-09-2011, 02:40 PM   #78
Donny Baseball!

Skyboxer's Arena

Quote:
Yeah... It's not laziness. I would think it's a combination of bean counters watching the bottom line and expecting yearly releases. I'm sure some area lack in talent but what business doesn't have that.

Skyboxer OS TWITCH
STEAM
SWITCH 8211-0709-4612
XBOX Skyboxer OS
Old 05-09-2011, 03:51 PM   #79
Rookie

OVR: 5

Quote:
I understand what you are saying, as that term gets thrown around a lot, but that really is the situation here. They do not want to invest the time and resources it takes to make a quality game, which is what it would take at this point to sell enough units to turn a sizable profit. So whether they are financially lazy (not wanting to put up the initial cost) or work lazy (not wanting to invest the time to turn a profit when it has been easier in the past), it's still being lazy. Or cheap.

As I mentioned before, it's easier to turn a profit on a game earlier in the lifecycle because you can get away with shorter development time and less competition. Now, with the quality of the library that both consoles have, you really need people to want to buy your game, not need to as they do with a new console. That can only be done if you have something great to offer.

That is why they want a new console, because it makes their life easier. Hence lazy. That may sound a bit harsh, but it doesn't make it any less true. It's the same reason I may hire someone to cut my grass. I'm being lazy. The only difference is my grass can't post on the interwebs
Old 05-09-2011, 05:10 PM   #80
Donny Baseball!

Skyboxer's Arena

Red face Re: Kotaku: Microsoft And Sony Targeting 2014 For New Consoles

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardswin2006
I understand what you are saying, as that term gets thrown around a lot, but that really is the situation here. They do not want to invest the time and resources it takes to make a quality game, which is what it would take at this point to sell enough units to turn a sizable profit. So whether they are financially lazy (not wanting to put up the initial cost) or work lazy (not wanting to invest the time to turn a profit when it has been easier in the past), it's still being lazy. Or cheap.

As I mentioned before, it's easier to turn a profit on a game earlier in the lifecycle because you can get away with shorter development time and less competition. Now, with the quality of the library that both consoles have, you really need people to want to buy your game, not need to as they do with a new console. That can only be done if you have something great to offer.

That is why they want a new console, because it makes their life easier. Hence lazy. That may sound a bit harsh, but it doesn't make it any less true. It's the same reason I may hire someone to cut my grass. I'm being lazy. The only difference is my grass can't post on the interwebs
The developers will do what they they are allowed to do. I'd venture to bet if they were told to take all the time they needed to release a game THEY wanted, it would get done.
They don't decide what gets spent, they just make sure they are under the budget and time allotted to them.
My problem with devs is the lack of advancing over the 'long haul'

Skyboxer OS TWITCH
STEAM
SWITCH 8211-0709-4612
XBOX Skyboxer OS

Last edited by Skyboxer; 05-10-2011 at 11:02 AM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Other > Console/Portable Talk »