Home

OS Steam and Computer Gaming Thread

This is a discussion on OS Steam and Computer Gaming Thread within the Console/Portable Talk forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Other > Console/Portable Talk
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-27-2013, 05:06 PM   #713
Pro

OVR: 5
Re: OS Steam and Computer Gaming Thread

I bring it up because before the PS4 reveal most of the rumors about it were correct, if the rumors about the nextbox are correct then they will both be very similar in architecture to current PCs, I'm the farthest thing from a developer but how much work would need to be done to get the same games ported over to PC ?
with the amount of PC gamers at record highs I have to think its gotta be worth it.
Old 02-27-2013, 05:08 PM   #714
MVP

mestevo's Arena

OVR: 33

Plenty of console games on PC this past gen, console architecture isn't why games weren't making their way there. No reason to really expect that to change IMO.
Old 02-27-2013, 05:14 PM   #715
New Ork Giants

Goffs's Arena

OVR: 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phobia
I wish NOW! Currently we only have NBA2k13 and FIFA. I mean they had MLB2k, Tennis, and Tiger Woods now they don't even have those any more.
Yeah I hate Origin if EA released any of there sports line up I would snatch them up! Fight Night on the PC would be lovely!!

man....
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-27-2013, 06:13 PM   #716
goh
Banned

OVR: 37

I'm sure MVP 14 will be and they announced their UFC game for PC.
Old 02-27-2013, 10:38 PM   #717
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 38

It's a sales issue -- not an architecture issue -- that has put PC sports gaming on life support.

Making a proper PC version of most sports games simply costs more for developers to make than they could recoup in sales.

More PC sports games would be made if they were profitable. They aren't profitable, so they aren't made.
Old 02-27-2013, 11:31 PM   #718
goh
Banned

OVR: 37

Of course if they made them right they might've been more profitable. I believe the last Madden,NBA and NHL games were extremely shoddy PS2 ports instead of 360,they blamed the failure on piracy as opposed to the games being crap and didn't make another. 2K seems to be doing well enough,get decent enough ports at half the price with mod support. EA is still charging $60 for most PC versions of things...plus tax.

They don't really seem to understand how things work on PC these days. In fact earlier today a friend was playing The Sims 3 and she asked me if I played it and I said I wanted to with the Showtime and Supernatural stuff but it's too expensive compared to other games so I can't justify buying it. They're still charging a base $30 for a game from 2009 and releasing $40 expansions. I just bought X-Com for $6 the other week. Even then I nabbed BF3 for $10 the other day then found out there's no mod support. The one mod there is it was said by a EA rep “I wouldn’t use those hacks if you don’t want a perm ban on your account.” for a graphics mod. Activision is a bit on the clueless side as well but at least they put their stuff on Steam.
Old 02-28-2013, 03:45 AM   #719
Cod
MVP

Cod's Arena

OVR: 10

I'd be okay with crappy ports for PC sports games IF EA allowed/encouraged modding. Look at the NBA 2k series. It is pretty much garbage straight out of the gate. Throw a couple of mods in your 2k folder and you've got one of the best basketball games across any platform.

Also, I'd feel comfortable paying up to $30 for a port of any sports game that allowed modding. For example, I believe Tiger Woods would be a HUGE seller if it was released for $30 with modding tools that include a course builder and club creator. Just imagine the possibilities for any series!

EA is starting to learn the err of their ways I think. The past two iterations of FIFA on the PC were quickly priced in the $30 range and available for $20 during sales only a month after released. The game also supports mods (some great ones out there, which is why it sells pretty well on the PC. I'd play FIFA on PC over the PS3 in a split-second if they'd dump Origin or make it less intrusive.
Old 02-28-2013, 09:43 AM   #720
MVP

mestevo's Arena

OVR: 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cod
I'd be okay with crappy ports for PC sports games IF EA allowed/encouraged modding. Look at the NBA 2k series. It is pretty much garbage straight out of the gate. Throw a couple of mods in your 2k folder and you've got one of the best basketball games across any platform.

Also, I'd feel comfortable paying up to $30 for a port of any sports game that allowed modding. For example, I believe Tiger Woods would be a HUGE seller if it was released for $30 with modding tools that include a course builder and club creator. Just imagine the possibilities for any series!

EA is starting to learn the err of their ways I think. The past two iterations of FIFA on the PC were quickly priced in the $30 range and available for $20 during sales only a month after released. The game also supports mods (some great ones out there, which is why it sells pretty well on the PC. I'd play FIFA on PC over the PS3 in a split-second if they'd dump Origin or make it less intrusive.
These expectations I'd guess play a large part in why they're not happening.

« Operation Sports Forums > Other > Console/Portable Talk »