Home

XBOX 360 Help (Hope this is the right forum)

This is a discussion on XBOX 360 Help (Hope this is the right forum) within the Console/Portable Talk forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Other > Console/Portable Talk
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 11-11-2012, 07:12 AM   #1
MVP

Jrocc23's Arena

OVR: 6
XBOX 360 Help (Hope this is the right forum)

What's up OS? I needed some help regarding my 360. I had my Xbox 360 for awhile and never had any serious problems. I don't know how long I have had it, but probably since 2008. I just recently got The Red Ring of Death. I had some rings before, but it wasn't that serious. I heard the 3 red rings is the worst. My house just started having electricity problems and will be updated soon. I was laying in bed and I hear some crazy noise from my Xbox or AC Adapter (power supply). When I looked at my Xbox, it was shut off. When I tried turning it on and everything, it would not turn on at all. I then noticed that the power supply light wasn't on. So, I just figured it had burned out from a power surge because some other things around the house had messed up.

I went on Amazon and bought a new power supply, but I believe it was a knock-off and not the Microsoft power supply. It was identical, but looking at the writing, it had a marker covering where it should have said "Microsoft." So, I was suspicious about that as soon as I unpacked it. Anyways, when I hooked it up, my Xbox and everything was working perfect. So, I was relieved it wasn't my Xbox that burned out. Then like 30 mins later, it just turned off and whenever I tried to turn it back on, my Xbox would have 3 red rings and the power supply light would turn red for a quick second and then orange. I was thinking its because the power supply was cheap, but it might just be my Xbox. I just turned it off planning on sending it back to get my money back and purchasing a official Microsoft one. The next day though, I decided to try it and it worked again, but a couple of mins later, it shut off again. My Xbox started showing the 3 red rings again and the power supply would light up red and then orange.

I am not sure if I need a new Xbox or just an official power supply. I was looking on the internet and they was saying the 3 red rings was something with the power supply. So, do you guys believe I just need the official power supply or do I have to buy a whole new Xbox? Hopefully, someone that knows about this stuff and can help me. Would really appreciate it.

The information on my original power supply:

INPUT
100V-127V~5A, 47-63 Hz

OUTPUT
203W 12-16.5A (16,5A), 5Vsb-1A

Hopefully, this is enough info.

NBA 2K11
XtremeXplicit Crew
Ranked

Check us out: http://www.youtube.com/jroccdagameboy
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-14-2012, 01:48 PM   #2
All Star

Valdarez's Arena

OVR: 51
Re: XBOX 360 Help (Hope this is the right forum)

According to M$ site it's still a power supply problem if you have a solid red light.

http://support.xbox.com/en-US/xbox-3...k-power-supply

Some of those knock offs may not support all 360 versions.
Old 11-15-2012, 10:04 AM   #3
All Star

Valdarez's Arena

OVR: 51

Did a little more research as I was remembering when I had bought a power supply years back. It worked on one of my 360's, but not on the other one. Seems there are different versions and according to this post --

Quote:
That's why I said power supplies are forward compatible. The original 203w supply will plug into a 150w Jasper.
Note that they are not backwards compatible. A 175w Falcon supply will not physically plug into a 203w Xenon console.

Microsoft seems to have done away with this for the 360 S as Trinity and Corona plugs appear to be identical. A 120w Corona brick plugs into a Trinity console.
A 2006 203w power supply wont plug into a 2009 Xbox 360 for safety reasons and to protect the consoles from insufficent power
An original 2005 power brick will plug into any original 360 model. Again, forward compatible.
I found there is a 203w, a 175w, 150w, and 135w model (at least, may be more). You clearly have the 203, which means you need an official model that supports the older / very first models. This item on Amazon claims to do just that and it's pretty reasonably priced as well -- http://www.amazon.com/AC-Power-Suppl...=operasport-20

Hope that helps!
Old 11-15-2012, 03:22 PM   #4
MVP

Jrocc23's Arena

OVR: 6

Thanks a lot! I truly appreciate it. Never thought I would of received help from a Cowboys fan lol. Thanks again.

NBA 2K11
XtremeXplicit Crew
Ranked

Check us out: http://www.youtube.com/jroccdagameboy

Last edited by Jrocc23; 11-16-2012 at 04:18 AM.
Old 06-25-2014, 05:36 PM   #5
Hall Of Fame

VDusen04's Arena

OVR: 18

I recently left town for two weeks, so my XBox 360 had zero use while I was away for around 12 days. When I returned home, turning on the XBox gave me three red lights (only the upper right corner was blank). The power brick maintained an orange light. I thought maybe it was struggling with the humidity (low 80's, no AC). I unplugged the console for a day.

Today, I plugged back in and still faced the three red rings. I tried to turn it on, then off, then on, then off. Changed outlets. Came back to the original outlet. Lifted my XBox up a little. No luck.

Finally, at one point pressing power yielded a sound of the motor trying to start up a moment before the red lights hit. Then I turned the machine off and back on, leading more juice flowing through and eventually starting my system. It's now at the home screen running fine, seemingly.

The question: Is this all cause for concern? Has anyone faced issues similar? Should I let it run a while? And did this have anything to do with letting the machine sit dormant for multiple weeks?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-26-2014, 03:49 PM   #6
MVP

KMRblue1027's Arena

OVR: 1

3 lights is GPU failure IIRC. You're gonna have to turn it into Microsoft for a replacement if it comes on again.

PS4 Games:
Battlefield 4
MLB: The Show (Duh)
Destiny
Old 06-29-2014, 04:10 PM   #7
Hall Of Fame

VDusen04's Arena

OVR: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMRblue1027
3 lights is GPU failure IIRC. You're gonna have to turn it into Microsoft for a replacement if it comes on again.
Thank you for the response. It has been running without issue these last four days but I wonder if it's a sign of things to come. I'm thinking maybe it's best to unplug the system when I leave for such a long period of time.
Old 07-06-2014, 02:15 PM   #8
DJ
Hall Of Fame

DJ's Arena

OVR: 47

I believe that's the E-74 error. I had that and a few years back and had to get the console replaced.
EA Sports PGA Tour (PS5)
PGA Tour 2K23 (PS5)
Super Mario Bros. Wonder (Switch)

« Operation Sports Forums > Other > Console/Portable Talk »