Home

What Are You Working On? - MLB The Show 23 Edition

This is a discussion on What Are You Working On? - MLB The Show 23 Edition within the Diamond Dynasty forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > Diamond Dynasty
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-30-2024, 08:43 PM   #1161
MVP

papadell's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: What Are You Working On? - MLB The Show 23 Edition

Vlad Jr. is a solid pick for cover.

Couple interesting things from the initial announcement.

1. According to Thuney, it's already been confirmed that there are NOT separate versions between Last and Current. Which implies no serious upgrades for current gen.

2. No tech test. There was no tech test before 21, I believe. Maybe it was 20. Ultimately, gameplay was at a solid point so as long as they didn't break it and changed up content - 24 will be amazing.

3. March 19 is the earliest release date since 20. Early Access will most likely be announced alongside the Collector's Edition next week and should be March 15.

That last one is strangely huge for me. I have a really busy stretch at work between March and April where I can't really take time off. The stretch from March 15-25 is pretty much the only free time I'd have to take vacation. I was anticipating not really being able to take time off to take advantage of Early Access and basically not being able to enjoy the initial launch. So should be able to continue the yearly ritual of lots of coffee, pizza and no sleep for a week.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-31-2024, 09:45 AM   #1162
All Star

JoshC1977's Arena

OVR: 5

Last year at this time, I was ensconced in a franchise I loved and had no intention of buying '23. But what they were doing with DD excited me so I got the game. The hitting felt so much better on '23 that I could no longer enjoy my franchise on '22 so I started a new one on '23 (which I am going to finish Year 5 of here soon).

Here we are today...some boat. It's really going to come down to them doing something new and exciting with DD. I want to see a fundamental shift in HOW you acquire the cards (not the "use card X to get card Y to get card Z" approach); I want to get away from modes that don't use your team, I want to see a 9 inning offering for offline that matters, I want them to stop using in-game XP for progress, I want to see massive agendas.

I applaud them for trying to do something new last year with how they rolled-out rewards (obviously the execution was lacking) but I think they need to finally take a step back and make a major paradigm shift in how players go about acquiring the cards themselves.

If I don't see that happening, I may very well just pass on this year's game altogether. We shall see....
Old 01-31-2024, 04:12 PM   #1163
Rookie

i like the Vladdy cover and i cant wait to find out next Tuesday for the collection cover and to find out about early access so i can request to take that day off for the 4th straight year and enjoy the game opening night. I am hoping we go back to the power creep in DD but i hope they do captains again just do it better if that makes sense. What else is everyone hoping for?
Old 01-31-2024, 04:26 PM   #1164
#ITFDB

sbmnky's Arena

OVR: 14

I posted this in the Year in Review Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbmnky
This is about the time I head back to OS for a DD recap - it's like catching up with old friends.

Cory - thanks for your article. I'd be curious on a follow up to your competitive mode article now that's it been 2 game cycles since you wrote it.

Below are my notes - keep in mind, I mostly play DD online in competitive modes

Content
  • Too many repeated cards with similar rating - I'm looking at you Schwarber, Harper, and Ohtani!
  • Rating progression throughout the year is fun - let's go back to ratings creep
  • Keep 99s to the collections and end of the year cards. Let the rewards ratings creep up and leverage captains to make them relevant throughout the year (see Captain notes below)
Gameplay
  • Gameplay was balanced this year, but online gameplay can change from game to game based on connection; I hope this is addressed
  • Great addition making tasks online or offline
  • I would like pitcher confidence to be removed from online game mode or adjusted - it shouldn't impact the batter's EV or probability of a hit
  • Moments and Showdowns feel like chores where I'm only completing them to make progress within a program
Sets & Seasons
  • I was hopeful for seasons because I thought they would be team building themed. But themes were just card types which was dull and repetitive
  • Sets was a cool idea, but it caused too many repeat cards (my biggest gripe of the year) yet we only got one 99 Lou Gehrig (did they lose his rights? Hope not, especially with the MLB 4ALS campaign)
Online Mode
  • I echo the need to have multiple competitive 9 inning game modes. One where the player can choose any card to use (typical ranked) and the other that has roster restrictions (a Live Series only league would be fun). Maybe ranked is open for two week and themed for the other two week - rinse and repeat throughout the year. Or maybe DD needs to start a weekend league (I don't have a deep understanding of how they work), but qualifying for better rewards sounds challenging
  • Stricter card restrictions for Events. Not just team overall, but limits on card overall or specific attributes - bring back silver card theme, Live Series, and Low Power (Dead-Ball) events
  • BR is fine - still my least favorite competitive mode
Captains
  • Cool idea, too bad it wasn't adjusted throughout the year to be used as a testing ground for '24
  • Too many OP and overpriced captains (Cal & Rollins)
  • Remove Captain glitch so that Captain has to be used in the line up to take advantage of its boost. Also let the Captain get its own boost
  • Best time to use Captains IS NOW when every card is available. For example, I've starting to copy a streamer I watch by using themed hitting and pitching captains (Twins Captain hitter and Angels Captain pitcher). This has been fun and allows all sets to be used - in the Twins theme I used, I used 3 different sets for a competitive team. That wouldn't have worked with the 2 concurrent sets limitation
  • In a discord I'm in, there was a proposal to make all sets available if using a Captain. I like this idea in its current format, although it will contradict my throught below (just wanted to shout out the idea if Captains don't receive a major overhaul)
  • Maybe another way to make Captains more useable is make the boost higher to earlier captains. For example, Set 1 captains give a huge boost to cards because Set 1 cards have lower ratings, but Set 1 captains can only be used for Sets 1 & 2 throughout the game cycle. Set 2 captains give a slightly lower boost for Set 1, Set 2, and Set 3 cards because Sets 2 & 3 have better ratings than Set 1 cards - Set 2 Captains can only be used for Sets 1 -3. Repeat this process until the final set Captain has the lowest boost, because the final set cards will have the best ratings. Live Series captains have the biggest boost because most LS cards are too low to be used in competitive games (what happened to the Live series events?)

Last edited by sbmnky; 01-31-2024 at 04:36 PM. Reason: I'm an idiot
Old 02-06-2024, 12:57 PM   #1165
Rookie

I am loving the collection edition cover and what they are doing for the Negro leagues .. I am glad we are getting early access again so i will definitely be taking off that weekend. I also want to get to 162 games played of ranked i think right now i am at 78-53 ( so only 31 games left to go) i have been having alot of fun just playing and am excited for the new game .
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-08-2024, 10:04 PM   #1166
MVP

I'm basically only playing Mondays now but I went 6-0 ranked on Monday and my objective the whole time was to just sit on pitches inside the whole at bat and completely lay off outside stuff until two strikes and the approach worked super good, i was way more patient and I didn't swing at everything as if they're all hittable pitches.

I realize when I was on HOF I can't really just react all over the zone like I can on all star. I think all my games Monday were on all star so we'll see how this works on HOF but my approach is generally just look 4 seamer so now it's still kind've look fastball but in a certain spot. I was much more easily laying off the slow dirt pitches and since I was eliminating outside pitches I took most all the away slider/cutters....I'm sure super good players will eventually pick it up but it worked on Monday.

I'll miss pre-launch cause I'm going out of town for a hockey game but Friday afternoon and the weekend I'll get caught up.

I don't know how I feel about sets/seasons like everyone else but I do know I don't like having 10 of the same guy....I like there to be a period of time where I can use a steve finley or a ryne sandberg and they still be relevant. I Think I miss having ****ty 88's to start the year and you platoon more and whatever.

I would also definetly 100% like a non-competitive online "ranked" 9 inning mode where you still get XP and program progress....aka casual play but that actually counts.
Old 02-12-2024, 11:58 AM   #1167
MVP

78-15
https://mlb23.theshow.com/universal_.../psn/ref479ode

Still can't hit with acuna or trout when I start them
Old 02-14-2024, 03:34 PM   #1168
Rookie

OVR: 1

I have been awful with every Acuna variant this season. Trout has been fine, but nothing amazing either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > Diamond Dynasty »