Home

Should classic stadiums be allowed in ranked multiplayer matches?

This is a discussion on Should classic stadiums be allowed in ranked multiplayer matches? within the Diamond Dynasty forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > Diamond Dynasty
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?
View Poll Results: ?
They shouldn't be allowed 7 17.95%
They should be allowed 32 82.05%
Voters: 39. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-07-2016, 11:56 PM   #9
Rookie

IcyVegeta's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Should classic stadiums be allowed in ranked multiplayer matches?

Upon watching this video and reading this thread I went out and bought Polo Grounds.
Old 05-08-2016, 12:12 AM   #10
Banned

OVR: 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by IcyVegeta
Upon watching this video and reading this thread I went out and bought Polo Grounds.
Yeah, the home run he gave up to Miggy would have been out of pretty much any ballpark. He hung that pitch really badly so I don't know what the fuss was about. The other one (opposite field shot by *I think* Posey) was the only one anybody could realistically complain about. That was an automatic out anywhere else, but still...

And the inside-the-park HR he gave up was user error as well. Was a routine fly out that he misplayed. It happens to me all the time in multiple ballparks, but I suck at defense!
Old 05-08-2016, 12:41 AM   #11
Rookie

IcyVegeta's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by 55
Yeah, the home run he gave up to Miggy would have been out of pretty much any ballpark. He hung that pitch really badly so I don't know what the fuss was about. The other one (opposite field shot by *I think* Posey) was the only one anybody could realistically complain about. That was an automatic out anywhere else, but still...

And the inside-the-park HR he gave up was user error as well. Was a routine fly out that he misplayed. It happens to me all the time in multiple ballparks, but I suck at defense!
Hey, we've all been there. I just think the TS got frustrated over a loss. I think the classic stadiums are a great addition, I hope we get more!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-08-2016, 05:33 AM   #12
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by IcyVegeta
Hey, we've all been there. I just think the TS got frustrated over a loss. I think the classic stadiums are a great addition, I hope we get more!
He actually still won the game and pouted about it even though he cheese-stole home (I love you jyoung, but you did) so I really don't get it...
Old 05-08-2016, 02:37 PM   #13
ZB9
Hall Of Fame

ZB9's Arena

OVR: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by jyoung

Just because both teams can hit 260-foot home runs and 480-foot fly outs doesn't make it any more realistic. This is supposed to be an MLB simulation game. The shortest home runs in MLB are in the low-300s and the deepest fly outs are in the low-430s. That's a huge difference between what happens to balls in Polo Grounds compared to what happens in every other modern MLB stadium.
How is it not "realistic" when the Polo Grounds was an actual real life stadium that the Giants, Yankees, and Mets played in? Those dimensions are a part of baseball history.

Do you want them to remove historical players too?
Old 05-08-2016, 11:44 PM   #14
Rookie

mamader9's Arena

Build a team that can play at any ball park? I have a team that have very fast out fielders and a few guys that hit for power. I have griffith stadium as my home park and i love to play at other diamond stadiums. Theyre Iconic, its not like theyre made up places. theyre real stadiums that used to be played in. The home team should have an advantage. thats part of being the home team.
Old 05-09-2016, 05:00 AM   #15
Banned

I'm not a very good hitter, but I can pitch with the best of them so I use Red Rocks Stadium as my home park for most games. It's the minor league stadium that's out in the desert with an absolutely gorgeous backdrop that looks even more amazing while the sun is setting. It's 450 feet to center and 340 down the lines with a 30 foot high wall. Total pitchers park that suits my playstyle/abilities.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-09-2016, 10:40 PM   #16
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 38

Quote:
How is it not "realistic" when the Polo Grounds was an actual real life stadium that the Giants, Yankees, and Mets played in? Those dimensions are a part of baseball history.

Do you want them to remove historical players too?
Parks like Polo Grounds change the gameplay significantly with a field design that would no longer fly in today's MLB.

Historic players are pretty much the same as current players just with better ratings and facial hair. They don't affect the gameplay in any meaningful way.

Football games that have had classic stadiums didn't let you play online matches with the goalposts scooted in 10 yards.

Basketball games that have had classic arenas don't let you play online with the lane narrowed, the restricted circle erased, and the three point line removed.

The gameplay in online matches should resemble how the sport is currently being played. The game is called MLB The Show 2016, after all, not MLB The Show 1916.

Quote:
Build a team that can play at any ball park?
That's not how baseball works. It's a game with lots of daily lineup adjustments, based on that day's park and opposing pitcher. The Mets benched two of their best hitters, Neil Walker and Michael Conforto, the other night against the Padres because they were facing a left-handed pitcher in a pitchers' ballpark.

The Show, for some reason, still doesn't allow us to save different online lineups depending on pitcher handedness and park location. Because of that, the home team in this game has a huge lineup setting advantage that doesn't exist in real life. That unrealistic lineup advantage is multiplied even further by crazy gimmick stadiums like Polo Grounds.

Quote:
If we couldnt use them in online matches, then there would really be no use for them to be in the game and it would be a shame if they took them out of the game.
A large portion of The Show's userbase only plays offline -- even in Diamond Dynasty. The stadiums work fine there, so there's no reason to remove them altogether. Just keep them out of online play where they cause too many competitive problems.

Last edited by jyoung; 05-09-2016 at 10:46 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > Diamond Dynasty »