Home

Maximum Football 18 Impressions/Feedback/ Game Details

This is a discussion on Maximum Football 18 Impressions/Feedback/ Game Details within the Maximum Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games > Maximum Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 11-21-2018, 08:08 AM   #361
Banned

OVR: 21
Re: Maximum Football 18 Impressions/Feedback/ Game Details

I will pile on a bit here and say the same thing...like it or not, animations and graphics are going to sell your game. Not super tight gameplay.

That being said, gameplay is critical...I know it sounds like a contradiction, but the first thing folks notice is how a game looks. They will walk away if they think it looks like something from 5, 10, 20 years ago. Most people won't give it a chance.

I don't pretend to understand or know how important incorporating Canadian rules into the game is, but since Flutie is now on board, I don't see that changing. I assume there are enough potential buyers in Canada to make the effort worthwhile.

Madden is deficient in many areas...some on the field and many off the field. However, the look and feel of the game will always draw new buyers in, and previous buyers back.

I am in the camp that says do whatever you can to make the animations and graphics more up to date and dynamic first. You have already said you make gameplay tweaks on an ongoing basis...perhaps the slice of the $$ pie going to look and feel of the game needs to be a bit bigger going forward.

C
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-21-2018, 09:26 PM   #362
Pro

OVR: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetroDee4Three
I'm going to make a comparison that I havn't seen much on here. I'm going to compare this game to Axis Football 18. Similarities include a small dev team, and a small budget (AF18 had a budget of $15,000.00.... unreal what they were able to acheive)

This game has better player movement, and overall more realistic animations. The catching animations look better (but still need work), the side to side movement looks better, overall the pace also looks better. The body types are more appealing and look more realistic moving around or at a stand still, and overall the players move around on the field more like real life, they react better to surroundings. The lack of commentary is actual a good thing in comparison to AF18, as the AF18 commentary is super corny, very basic, and most people just want to turn it off. Your game also has cutscenes, which obviously add to the immersion.

Sound effects need work in both games, whether it be the crowd noise, the sound of a tackle, etc. The clipping in this game stands out like a sore thumb sometimes, as you see players walking through eachother, or arms legs going completely though another player. However, this is also a problem on big budget sports games like NBA 2K, where clipping is happening constantly. I know its tough to control. Graphics wise, making the textures look less washed out (More defined), and give the crowd some TLC, and it will improve the visual appeal dramatically.

AXIS Football is on its 4th or 5th year in development, you are on year 2. I'm really impressed with your progress. I have not played this game yet, just read a lot about it and watched videos, and looked at feedback. The "this is trash" crowd while annoying, should not be ignored. They are completely wrong about it being trash, but it's whats behind that comment (Which they wont divulge) that matters. Most of the time when someone says a game is trash, it revolves #1 around animations, and #2 around graphics, which was the case with NBA Live between Live 14 and Live 18. So your biggest challenge is turning those people around, the people who give quick negative soundbites but seldom give more information.

If you release this game on PC (Which I would recommend), more than likely modders would have at it.

Also, if you implement commentary, please don't make it cheesy or cringeworthy.

Congrats on the Doug Flutie signing, as well as the early success with the game. I am pulling for you guys.
I agree with everything RetroDees4Three said as long as you improve graphically every year then there will be less noise from the trash group and you will draw more curious people to your game..Look at 2k football from it's first game to 2k5 there was always an inprovement graphically every year some in small increments others a large jump. We don't expect Madden level graphics they had decades to work on it and a millions of dollars behind them but even they had to improve their graphics as well.

Sent from my Lenovo TAB 2 A10-70F using Operation Sports mobile app
Old 11-24-2018, 07:26 AM   #363
Rookie

BoSox59's Arena

OVR: 0

How feasible is it to include a player movement function in a future update? Not anything complicated like elaborate trades but maybe something in the “edit player” window that lets us set the player’s current team?
Old 11-24-2018, 10:47 AM   #364
MVP

boxboy99's Arena

OVR: 23

I really want to see a play editor and coach mode with head to head play. Throw back to Front Page Sports Football.

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
2017: 93-69 - Swept by Red Sox in World Series
2018: 100-62 - Swept by Dodgers in NLCS
2019: 14-11
Old 11-24-2018, 02:35 PM   #365
MVP

When's the November update

Sent from my SPH-L720T using Tapatalk
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-24-2018, 04:17 PM   #366
Video Game Dev

Spear's Arena

OVR: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by baconbits11
When's the November update

We are submitting for certification on Monday. Should be live on PS4 same day or next day. Usually hits the Xbox a few days after.

Join our Discord to learn more - https://discord.gg/v8aFWkmYMT!

http://www.varsityvideogame.com
https://www.spearinteractive.com
Old 11-24-2018, 04:39 PM   #367
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spear
We are submitting for certification on Monday. Should be live on PS4 same day or next day. Usually hits the Xbox a few days after.
Awesome I appreciate how responsive you are!

Old 11-24-2018, 04:45 PM   #368
Video Game Dev

Spear's Arena

OVR: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by baconbits11
Awesome I appreciate how responsive you are!

No worries! I think everybody will enjoy the update, it's loaded with content. 50 save slots for logos, night games, night games with weather, The Spring League rebranded Practice Mode, helmet logos, number of gameplay updates too!

I've been testing it the past couple days on a dev kit but I'm looking forward to playing it on my actual retail PS4 next week.

Join our Discord to learn more - https://discord.gg/v8aFWkmYMT!

http://www.varsityvideogame.com
https://www.spearinteractive.com

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games > Maximum Football »