Home

Price drop and some more fixes for me.

This is a discussion on Price drop and some more fixes for me. within the Maximum Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games > Maximum Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-05-2019, 08:00 PM   #41
Pro

cherman24's Arena

OVR: 4
Re: Price drop and some more fixes for me.

I just purchased this morning. I’ve been messing around all day. With all due respect, I applaud the effort with the size of the team and understand the price point. With that being said, I do regret my purchase. I would agree with the original poster of a cheaper game. It reminds me of that fantasy game that had elway on the cover and you drafted players.

My gripes are 1) slow menus 2) no real distinction in teams 3) customization is very hard for an amateur (I understand layers for advanced logos, but amateur artists need a color palette to select generic things for quick set ups) 4) skipping scenes (can skip between plays, but must watch a full kickoff setup) 5) use madden controls (you can be your own game, but ea been doing it 30 years so let us hit certain buttons to do certain things like receiving routes). 6) no clock adjuster. I started a dynasty with 15 minute quarters thinking they would adjust themselves, but they didn’t hence me deleting the dynasty cause I couldn’t find the adjustments menu.

On the positive, it’s a football game not named madden or costing $60, it offers customization and workarounds for an NCAA license, and its fun if you get the hang of it. I don’t miss commentary either. Sports games get old after 4 games anyway.

Please don’t take my regret of purchasing as a negative. I just don’t feel it’s a $30 game. If it’s a $10 game with $20 going to improvement, I’m fine with it. I just think, for me, you should let customizing be as creative as ever, but also with ease for noobs who just want color swaps, controls should be somewhat standard, and keep doing what you’re doing and going in the right direction.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-06-2019, 05:30 PM   #42
Banned

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spear
Last year, we lost out on a six-figure investment from a local angel investor group because an investor read an article that "Canadian Football 2017" was one of the worst football video games of all time. No mention that it was built by one person, none of that.
Some quick questions about this statement. Did you build a playable tech demo of the game and present this along with some sort of plan to the above mentioned or any investor first before you decided to just build the game and sell it? Or did you consider having a playable demo that you could've shown as part of a kickstarter? I would think securing the investment first would've been a better option versus having no idea what funds you may receive from from your present situation. Especially considering you have prior experience and a legitimate resume.
Old 10-06-2019, 05:51 PM   #43
Video Game Dev

Spear's Arena

OVR: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capric0rn
Some quick questions about this statement. Did you build a playable tech demo of the game and present this along with some sort of plan to the above mentioned or any investor first before you decided to just build the game and sell it? Or did you consider having a playable demo that you could've shown as part of a kickstarter? I would think securing the investment first would've been a better option versus having no idea what funds you may receive from from your present situation. Especially considering you have prior experience and a legitimate resume.
Securing an investment before having a game? That's a utopian view of a business. Raising meaningful capital is extremely rare for any business that is at an idea stage. Lots of people have ideas and they never get funded.

The reason why we had meaningful discussions with investors was because we actually had a game in the marketplace.

Join our Discord to learn more - https://discord.gg/v8aFWkmYMT!

http://www.varsityvideogame.com
https://www.spearinteractive.com
Old 10-06-2019, 06:17 PM   #44
Banned

Now my comments are being held for review?
How convenient...
Old 10-06-2019, 06:19 PM   #45
Banned

Lol. What a joke. Clear my original response please.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-06-2019, 07:24 PM   #46
All Star

PeoplesChampGB's Arena

via MEME

Old 10-07-2019, 10:52 PM   #47
MVP

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omega79
... And this is what annoys me most about the current crop of (mostly young; but not all) sports gamers. I'm seeing similar things for all of the other AAA games out there but it hits differently when it's an Indie production house going above and beyond their best to bring something alternative to market.

It's almost like some of you forget that Madden is our ONLY AAA option for football gaming. This game is not going to have Madden level graphics. It's not going to have all the same features as Madden. You have to understand something; if you go on a website or do a review and you say "Madden Sucks" (which is what I see a lot of folks doing) it's not going to matter one bit to EA. They're a multi-million dollar a year machine. But if you go on any site and say "Maximum Football is terrible, Maximum Football is trash, etc." it could get to the point where it DESTROYS the studio that makes it. No one wants to invest in something people are publicly lambasting as "trash" even though it couldn't be further from the truth.

Many people are just not taking it for what it is. You're not going to get a AAA game for 30 dollars; trust me on that. But the game (and the last two) have been fun. They may be rough around the edges but they're fun.

I've supported the production team since the original Maximum Football (which many of you don't know was a PC only game in the 90's) and the team puts their heart and soul into each production. The customization options alone make it worth the price of admission. I personally have gotten to the point in my "Gamer Life" where I don't listen to other gamers or their opinions. If I like the game or the concept I'll support it. I am also an adult who has learned to have metered expectations depending on what I'm playing and what type of production studio it comes from. What bothers me is that the misguided opinions of a few could get it as to where David and the crew say "to heck with it" and just stop producing the game.

Then you'll whine that there are "no options other than crappy Madden." And the cycle will continue...

The same thing is happening with the other sports games (I see it daily with 2K.) I'm not saying you should accept less than stellar games; Heck, some of those games are stellar, but there are still complaints. What I am saying that you need to meter your expectations depending on the game and judge it more on where THAT game was the previous year; as opposed to against rivals that have a 27 year head start and a multi-million dollar budget.

THANK YOU!!!!

Ppl steady complaining but its on everything...

2k20.. 2K is trash!! Okay go to Live... "Live is even worse.."

"Madden is so bad this year!" Aight uhhh well these developers are trying to do something..

"this GAME is horrible with graphics and all!"

Enjoy your purchases.. be creative. Stop believing someones opinion to make it as your own. Have your OWN view on it. Video games aren't real life, they all won't get it right. These guys are literally taking in bug and feed back every other hour. I forget though, some kids grew up in the Xbox Live era,, and not the time where we had to blow cartridges to get the game going.

Stop saying "use madden settings". They should use madden settings when EA Give em money to do so. LEARN THE GAME. This game isn't for everyone though.

Its all in personal perspective though... some haven't ever played the original PS1.

Watch your expectations, just meter em. Just cause u give them $30 doesn't give you the right to say anything you want about their work.
Old 10-08-2019, 10:50 AM   #48
Pro

OVR: 4

To put it nicely, the gameplay is rather 'rough', but the $30 price tag is also my main reason why I've held off. $5-10 to support a game like this that has a lot of issues is fair, but for $30 to me is where I expect a good game. It would be a lot easier to put up with the lack of polish and various gameplay issues if the game were more fairly priced imo.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games > Maximum Football »