Home

EA Sports College Football 25 Will Feature All 134 FBS Schools - Herbstreit, Fowler, Pollack & More in the Game

This is a discussion on EA Sports College Football 25 Will Feature All 134 FBS Schools - Herbstreit, Fowler, Pollack & More in the Game within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-04-2024, 08:31 AM   #73
Hall Of Fame

illwill10's Arena

OVR: 31
Re: EA Sports College Football 25 Will Feature All 134 FBS Schools - Herbstreit, Fowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junior Moe
In a weird way I kind of hope that the game industry restructure we are seeing now leads us to more AA sports games like what I consider EA College Football and College Hoops 2K to be.

Madden and NBA2K have high licensing costs with their leagues and player associations. But the gameplay and development costs are set, more or less. And they sell upwards of 10 million copies every single year.

It's not Spiderman 2 that reportedly cost 300 million to make. The game has sold 10 million copies and is a success but not enough financially, supposedly.

My hope is that EA College Football follows a similar path to Madden on a smaller scale with lower set costs and a relatively nice return every year. Then College Hoops is able to follow along in the same vein. They don't have to sell 10 million copies. But if they can bring in 30% of what the pro games do every year I think/hope it would be worth releasing them every year.

I do believe that in the current market a College Hoops 2K could sell 2-3 million copies and be commercially successful. 2K is all about online now. 2K should give them 2K16-2K20 online parks that they love so much with no build restrictions and let them run amuck. Those dudes spend that money in the park and on MyTeam.

Sent from my SM-G991U1 using Tapatalk
The only thing I'm wondering is how well will Madden and 2K when it goes current gen only. If CFB is going to go current gen only, then I don't see Madden continuing the cross gen phase. I do think there will be a little dip in sales for these sports titles when they leave behind the last gen. I think that's a reason why MLB the Show is still cross gen. I just saw that The Show sold around 5M copies. Only sports title I think is safe on sales is EA FC since Soccer is a global sport. I think most are waiting for the fanbase of the current gen consoles go build up since the scarcity is gone.

I would love for there to be more sports games in general. I know we aren't going to go back to the PS2-era where we had 2-3 sim options for all sports and arcade options as well. The cost of development and resources it takes now prevents that. Like I said, I would love to see NBA Live. I would love to see EA Big come back and we get those good arcade options back. But, I think the cost of development and resources needed is a deterrent, especially when they can't monetize those type of games like they can with the mainstream games.
Old 03-04-2024, 09:27 AM   #74
MVP

Junior Moe's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: EA Sports College Football 25 Will Feature All 134 FBS Schools - Herbstreit, Fowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by illwill10
The only thing I'm wondering is how well will Madden and 2K when it goes current gen only. If CFB is going to go current gen only, then I don't see Madden continuing the cross gen phase. I do think there will be a little dip in sales for these sports titles when they leave behind the last gen. I think that's a reason why MLB the Show is still cross gen. I just saw that The Show sold around 5M copies. Only sports title I think is safe on sales is EA FC since Soccer is a global sport. I think most are waiting for the fanbase of the current gen consoles go build up since the scarcity is gone.

I would love for there to be more sports games in general. I know we aren't going to go back to the PS2-era where we had 2-3 sim options for all sports and arcade options as well. The cost of development and resources it takes now prevents that. Like I said, I would love to see NBA Live. I would love to see EA Big come back and we get those good arcade options back. But, I think the cost of development and resources needed is a deterrent, especially when they can't monetize those type of games like they can with the mainstream games.

I’d love know how much last gen accounts for with regards to sales and micro transactions in Madden and 2K. I’m sure it has been dwindling. I saw that NBA 2K is down like 7% year over year and I wonder what, if anything, last gen sales/microtransactions have on it. I don’t doubt that there will be some fall off once the last gen is left behind completely.

I agree I don’t think that we will ever see multiple NFL or NBA games again simply because the costs are too high. I do like that we are getting other niche sport games like TopSpin coming back. I hope that’s an indication that companies are looking to diversify their sport gaming portfolios. You can only mine the NFL and NBA so much before you hit a ceiling.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 03-04-2024, 10:01 AM   #75
Hall Of Fame

illwill10's Arena

Quote:
I’d love know how much last gen accounts for with regards to sales and micro transactions in Madden and 2K. I’m sure it has been dwindling. I saw that NBA 2K is down like 7% year over year and I wonder what, if anything, last gen sales/microtransactions have on it. I don’t doubt that there will be some fall off once the last gen is left behind completely.

I agree I don’t think that we will ever see multiple NFL or NBA games again simply because the costs are too high. I do like that we are getting other niche sport games like TopSpin coming back. I hope that’s an indication that companies are looking to diversify their sport gaming portfolios. You can only mine the NFL and NBA so much before you hit a ceiling.

Like I said, for the Longest time, it was just NBA2K and WWE. And most of that time, it was Yuke mainly developing WWE. Like you said, there's a ceiling to how much they can mine NBA2K. I doubt they are selling "well" with WWE. I doubt WWE 2k can ever get back to the popularity of the old THQ WWE games. You can see how heavy they are getting with the MTX in NBA2K. They want gamers to buy Season Passes for every season along with gearing the game towards you buying MTX. So, it is nice to see them diversify their portfolio. I forgot about the Golf game as well. I wouldn't mind the MTX as much if the revenue was getting poured back into the game, not lining the higher up pockets. I'm not surprised that 2k's numbers are down. I would say that the difference between cross gen versions of NBA2K are steeper than Madden's. I'm not sure if the Last gen version of MyCareer has all the same type of bells and whistles of MTX that new gen has.

I don't think it'll be a huge drop off though. I always feel like the last couple years of the cross gen phase, they start pushing gamers to the next gen console anyway. For both NBA2K and Madden, we've seen the topical roster update and shared upgrades for the last gen version. With the console scarcity gone, I think the sales shouldn't fall drastically. I do think that they will announce that's its current gen only when they do the full reveal. Even though it's been reported for the past year or so, there needs to be confirmation that its current gen only so the hold overs can buy the consoles.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-04-2024, 10:32 AM   #76
All Star

TarHeelPhenom's Arena

OVR: 10

Quote:

I would love to see EA tap back into boxing and go head up with Undisputed. I would also love to see EA, or another company tap into other college games like basketball or baseball. I doubt it would happen, but one can only hope.
Old 03-04-2024, 10:50 AM   #77
Hall Of Fame

illwill10's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by TarHeelPhenom
I would love to see EA tap back into boxing and go head up with Undisputed. I would also love to see EA, or another company tap into other college games like basketball or baseball. I doubt it would happen, but one can only hope.
I like Fight Night, but I just don't think Boxing has the same type of buzz in the past decade or so to warrant it coming back. I don't think it'll sell well. Definitely, don't think College Baseball will sell well at all. I think that's a reason why MLB pushed Sony to drop the exclusive first party license and why it's still cross gen. If MLB the Show sold around 5M, then I think that number would drop to around 3M if it dropped last gen.

College Basketball is a possibility, but CFB would have to exceed expectations for it to be a possibility for CBB. I think 5M+ is a little high for College Football mainly because it will be current gen only. I think this would be a test case to see how much demand there really is. I just think the MTX possibilities are a lot higher in a College Football game higher than a CBB game.
Old 03-04-2024, 06:05 PM   #78
Hall Of Fame

illwill10's Arena

Based on that, it looks like Kevin Connors will be doing Half time Show/Updates
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot_20240304_180744_X.jpg (134.9 KB, 105 views)

Last edited by illwill10; 03-04-2024 at 06:10 PM.
Old 03-05-2024, 11:19 AM   #79
Hall Of Fame

illwill10's Arena

Not much, but cool to see they'll talk about guys from the past

Old 03-05-2024, 02:49 PM   #80
Hall Of Fame

illwill10's Arena

https://twitter.com/StreitTalkShow/s...8UlpJaqbw&s=19

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »