Home

Best Comeback?

This is a discussion on Best Comeback? within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-21-2006, 07:32 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 5
Best Comeback?

I just finished prolly my best comeback since my ps2 days of NCAA. First game of my second year michigan dynasty. I was ranked #1 coming off of a national championship against #14 oregon. I was an A- and they were a B and i was at home so i figured easy win. It turns out to be one of those games, Mike Hart fumbles 3 times in the 1st half, and i fumbled on a option and im down 31-3 at halftime. I get the ball to start the second and score easily, than next possesion pick of a pass that leads to a field goal to make it 31-13. I force a 3 and out and score on a long pas to make it 31-20 going into the 4th quarter. Niether team could get anything going but i intercept a pass and return it inside the 20 than scramble in on 3rd and 5 with my QB and convert the 2 point conversion to make it 31-28. I make another stop and return the punt for a touchdown with under a minute left and win.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-22-2006, 09:37 AM   #2
MVP

mdgoalie37's Arena

OVR: 11
Re: Best Comeback?

My best comeback was with Colorado against Baylor (360). I was down 35-3 in the second quarter and was doing nothing right. Then I just turned it on, I made plays and really got rolling. By the start of the 4th I had full momentum and eventually tied the game. In OT Baylor kicked a FG on their possesion and I scored a TD for the win - 51-48. The game was nuts - Bernard Jackson, the Buffs backup by default is my starter because he is more mobile, ran for 90 or so and threw for 380-some.
The week before I was down at Georgia and had to come back and win that game too, I won that 33-30 in OT. I was helped because Georgia's starting QB is injured and the backup threw 3 or 4 INTs.
I'm 4-2 with Colorado (losing to Tulsa and Colorado State) and 6-0 with ND.
Old 08-22-2006, 02:45 PM   #3
Kez
Rookie

OVR: 2

Repost from an older thread I killed.

---
I guess I'll chime in since I finally have a noteworthy game to tell about.

Season 2 of my Campus Legend career for Iowa State. The Cyclones are undefeated at 7-0 having just surprisingly manhandled an elite Longhorns team. Coming up: southern division nemesis Oklahoma. At least it was at home.

This was one of those games where you got the feeling that the computer was stacking the deck against you because Oklahoma simply mauled Iowa State in the first half. Cyclone offense was held to ~50 total yards and freshman QB tossed 3 interceptions. Halftime score 31 to 3. Big time Oklahoma.

Dejected, I kind of threw in the towel at halftime and subbed in the backup QB who was also a freshman but a couple of points lower in rating. With the halftime cut in momentum, I was thinking at least the backup could try to hold his own.

The Sooners stalled on their first drive of the 2nd half but so did Iowa State on theirs. The Cyclone defense seemed to have picked it up a little at halftime. Maybe it was just the Sooners trying to coast to a big victory. With half the 3rd quarter gone, Oklahoma scored again to make it 38-3 but surprisingly the momentum meter didn't fill. Even more suprisingly was Iowa State's quick strike answer to make it 38-10 before the quarter ran out.

The 4th quarter is where it all happened. This is why I'll remember this game for a long time. The Cyclones' offense began to generate some yardage and quickly scored at the start of the quarter to make it 38-17. Desperate, I tried an onside kick with more than 4 minutes left in the (5-minute) quarter. I never succeed at onside kicks. At least not in previous versions of the game.

But...SUCCESS! Onside recovered!

Big pass....touchdown Cyclones! 38-24 with just under 4 minutes to go. Geez, can I actually come back? Let's try back-to-back onside kicks for the hell of it. (Carefully putting the kick meter in the exact same spot as before...)

SUCCESS AGAIN! Recovered! A couple big plays later and it's touchdown Iowa State! 38-31!! Unbelievable. At least it's going to be a respectable loss.

Onside kick again. No luck. Oklahoma recovers and with just under 3 minutes in the game, excellent field position. The crowd, which was previously delirious, goes silent.

But Iowa State holds them to 3 and out and by burning a timeout has just over 2 minutes to try for the tie! Backup freshman QB has been going bonkers with bombs. Can he do it again!?

The Oklahoma defense is getting wary. The d-backs are playing deep now to protect agains the pass. I decide to start a series of sideline duck and chucks to gain yards and kill the clock quickly. The Cyclones drive deep into Sooner territory with hardly any time off the clock. There is still a minute and a half to go when the Cyclones call an off-tackle run that suprises Oklahoma and the running back bursts through for a game-tying touchdown! Amazing! 38-38!!

Looking ahead to Overtime, Iowa State kicks off deep to Oklahoma who promptly squanders their drive with a 3-and-out courtesy of a renewed Cyclone defense. Iowa State receives the punt with 40 seconds and 80 yards to go!

But DISASTER!

Iowa State receiver fumbles the ball after a catch and Oklahoma recovers inside Iowa State territory! Less than 30 seconds to go and Oklahoma can get within field goal range with a short catch or two! Cyclone fans are booing relentlessly as the Sooner sideline erupts.

38-38 with 30 seconds on the clock. Oklahoma QB drops back...throws over the MIDDLE!?...and it's PICKED OFF!! by sophomore LB Kez (me!!!) and returned to midfield!

20 or so seconds left in the game and Iowa State is at midfield! Oklahoma is shifting their secondary over to my #1 receiver. Looks like he's doubled if not triple covered...

Ticking off receivers...I spot my slot man rocketing downfield, he's got his man beat by a step!! Rocketing off a long bomb, the QB hits the receiver in stride as he hops over the d-backs last desperate attempt at a tackle.

TOUCHDOWN!! IOWA STATE 45-38 with 13 seconds left in the game!!

Oklahoma did nothing on the ensuing kickoff and drive. Victory ISU!!

Thus was the greatest comeback of any video game I've ever played. 42 unanswered 2nd half points by the back-up QB who passed for nearly 500 yards in one half of work.

45-38. Un-be-lievable.

Instant Classic score: 1938.

(sorry for length! Darn fun remembering though!)
Old 08-22-2006, 04:13 PM   #4
I'm not on InstantFace.

Cardot's Arena

OVR: 22

EA likes the comeback, no doubt about that.
Old 08-22-2006, 04:18 PM   #5
Stop! Homer Time!

theaub's Arena

OVR: 35

Repost from my dynasty.

Miracle Drive Beats Notre Dame

Note: This was the greatest NCAA game I've ever played. Raging snowstorm, peaks and valleys, this had it all. If there could be greatest games with created teams, this would have been a 3000+ game. It was unbelievable.

As over 80000 stunned Notre Dame fans looked up at the sky, maybe looking for Touchdown Jesus to call holding, the New York Vipers were celebrating. They were missing their two best defensive players: Aaron Byrum and Obidah Perkins. Their star quarterback got hurt in the third quarter. And Jeff Jacobs and John Walton combined to throw three interceptions.

But it was the "luck of the Vipers," a hail mary, a 94-yard screen pass, and an amazing, 1:33 93 yard drive in a brutal blizzard that ended with Matt Bodiford's 44 yard field goal with no time remaining to give the New York Vipers a 31-30 win over the Notre Dame Fighting Irish.

"You can't beat this, baby," John Walton, who threw for 100 yards and rushed for 124 said after the game. "Going into this house and beating them, its huge. We feel like we deserve to go to the BCS now."

Start with 2:50 to go. True freshman Matt Bodiford lines up for a 47 yard kick, from the left hashmark into a crosswind. He hooks it horribly to the right. Notre Dame starts running down the clock. Third and inches with 1:41 to go...Brian Booker stuffs James Aldridge in the backfield. Notre Dame punts, and its downed at the seven.

The final drive summary was a thing of beauty. New York couldn't throw the ball all day, so with one timeout, they had to run. And they did, running options to both the sidelines and to the middle of the field. Walton rushed five times for 53 yards, Jason Hill twice for 2 yards, and Chuck Weaver twice for 12 yards, inclduing a draw play for 11 that got them into field goal range with 30 seconds left.

Then, Walton almost fumbled the game away. He snuck to the left side to make sure that the field goal would be attempted from the middle, so Bodiford could just kick it straight. But he fumbled, and an alert play by center Greg Jones saved the game. New York then let the clock run down to two seconds, called timeout, and Boidford kicked the winner.

Still, New York had some amazing luck before that. Their first score was a 63 yard pass where Jacobs found Chuck Jones, and he outran everyone to the endzone. Then, down 20-7 with 6 seconds to go, Jacobs threw a hail mary that Chris Anderson caught at the 20, then shook off two tackles for another touchdown. It was Anderson again later, down 27-14, who caught a screen at the 7, evaded three tackles and raced down the sideline untouched for a score to bring them back.

New York had 573 yards of offense on the day compared to 428 for Notre Dame. New York gets the Orange Bowl, while Notre Dame will likely be in a late-December game.

New York - 31, Notre Dame - 30
Advertisements - Register to remove

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »