Home

Please help me out on defense

This is a discussion on Please help me out on defense within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-26-2007, 01:48 PM   #1
Rookie

KentuckyFan's Arena

OVR: 1
Please help me out on defense

OK, if they're running like 4 WR or something and it's a pretty much guaranteed pass play...I know how to stop that. I have trouble defending the base I-Form or Ace formations. I can't defend them, everything I've tried doesn't work. If you could please help me out on some possible defenses (please include adjustments after the playcall) I'd appreciate it.

Last edited by KentuckyFan; 09-26-2007 at 02:14 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-26-2007, 02:14 PM   #2
MVP

OVR: 13
Re: Please help me out on defense

I like a 4-4 or 4-3 defense using the "engage eight" formation. If they go into audible,I'll pull my coverage back. Another thing that helped me along was paying more attention as to how the CPU works against me in those situations. I'm more offense oriented so I look for the little things that others do. Good luck
Old 09-26-2007, 02:34 PM   #3
Rookie

KentuckyFan's Arena

OVR: 1

Sorry, but that's the worst defense in the game.
Old 09-26-2007, 02:48 PM   #4
Rookie

kab2168's Arena

OVR: 0

I am playing with army in year two.. my goal is to avoid the big play by the cpu... I run a 4-3 defense (base, over and under) I slant or rush in with my Dline, blitz a linebacker or two, and run zone behind that on most plays (my corners stink). If I am in man, I drop a linebacker in zone and pull my secondary close to the line.
Old 09-26-2007, 02:52 PM   #5
Rookie

OVR: 3

4-6 Buzz Duo...You just have to have good stick skills with your DB's and youll be fine. Or run a 4-3 Cover 2 Man with the MLB playing a hook to curl and control him
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-26-2007, 03:15 PM   #6
Cade Cunningham

rudyjuly2's Arena

OVR: 75

The ACE and I-formations shouldn't be that bad. Are you struggling against the pass or run? I don't blitz too often and when I do I usually only send one extra blitzer. Rarely do I send 6 players after the QB but blitzes do help against the run as well.

The biggest thing is to be aware of the proximity to the sideline and if the cpu lines up in a strong formation. If the ball is placed on the hash mark at the start of the play, make sure you don't let the cpu get outside to the wide side of the field. I often use a post play DL slant to that side to make sure of that. Furthermore, against some I formations the cpu usually has a strong side of the field and I slant my DL to head in that direction. You can also shift your LBs over there instead but I would caution you to NOT slant your DL and shift your LBs on the same play. That will overcompensate with both DL and LBs cheating and really opens you up to the counter and weakside runs.

The 4-3 and 4-3 Under are what I like running with an occassional 46. For man defenses I like to keep at least one safety free to roam (cover 1s, cover 2 man, simple blitzes qualify). For zones I don't like running the cover 2 but do like the cover 3. I don't like the positioning of my LBs in the 4-3 Over defense so I don't use it. I also don't like running the 4-4 since most teams don't run that type of defense in real life other than very short yardage. I'd rather have a starting safety at the LOS than my 4th LB anyway.

If you have the LBs a 3-4 defense can be good. I like it better this year than on the PS2 where I sucked at running it. I like choosing a multiple D formation playbook on defense which lets you use both the 3-4 and 4-3 if you want. Its fun if I have the personnel.
Old 09-26-2007, 04:51 PM   #7
MVP

Mizzou23's Arena

OVR: 13

I probably run man coverage 75-80% of the time at least. I only go with zones to keep the defense honest. I never run a cover 3 of any kind since the CPU never throws deep. I also almost never sell out with an all out blitz, because the CPU seems to pick it up a little too well. I try to vary it up a little bit, but i run a lot of cover 1 man and cover 2 man, pretty basic stuff, but it works. I'm not a big gambler on defense.

Engage eight is not the way to play defense. I don't think I've ever even called it. No defensive coordinator in his right mind would run that play. It's suicide.
Old 09-27-2007, 10:20 AM   #8
All Star

georgiafan's Arena

OVR: 12

I like to run man 2 under, the CB plays man but the S are zone to avoid the long play.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »