Home

Defense ... 3-4 or 4-3

This is a discussion on Defense ... 3-4 or 4-3 within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-26-2007, 11:43 PM   #1
Banned

OVR: 14
Defense ... 3-4 or 4-3

Just curious what defense most of you use. I've been using the 3-4 for almost two seasons now, but it seems like I can no longer stop anyone. Thinking of switching to the 4-3 and see if it's a more all-around effective way to go.

The fact EA doesn't allow us to create custom offensive and defensive playbooks for dynasty play really sucks! Really takes away from being able to customize the teams to you individual style of play .....
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-27-2007, 08:21 AM   #2
Cade Cunningham

rudyjuly2's Arena

OVR: 75
Re: Defense ... 3-4 or 4-3

I usually play with a 4-3 but if I have a really good set of LBs or a bad set of DTs, I will play with a 3-4 as well. Its fun to use the Multiple D formation playbook where you can use both. In the past I've found the 4-3 easier to stop people but that may also be because I'm much more familiar with it. The 3-4 is effective on the PS3 when I've used it. I never had much success stopping the run with the 3-4 on the old PS2 versions.
Old 09-27-2007, 08:47 AM   #3
Rookie

OVR: 3

I usually play the 4-3. I run plays out of the 4-3 atleast 2 out of 3 downs.
But If I run a zone or zone blitz, its from the nickel or 4-4.
I have some very speedy OLBs so running the 4-4 isnt much of a drop off just in case it turns out to be a pass and I thought run.
I converted a few of my SS to OLB, sacrificed tackling for coverage, but everyone is fast so we swarm the ball.

But I say go with the 4-3.
Old 09-27-2007, 10:33 AM   #4
KG
Welcome Back

KG's Arena

OVR: 35

i like to run with the 3-3-5...especially if you have alot of good safeties. It's a good package to disguise blitzes from too. Only drawbacks are that because of the INT glitch you will have alot of players making the AA teams and your INT #s will be higher....Still fun though cuz its kinda gimmicky and not really utilized too much in the NFL
Old 09-27-2007, 12:37 PM   #5
MVP

I cannot stop the run in a 3-4 no matter how good my linebackers are so i run a 4-3

Follow me on www.twitter.com/thedrozd
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-27-2007, 06:14 PM   #6
MVP

bvb24's Arena

OVR: 12

I'm a 3-4 guy. I like the fact that it brings more speed and you can blitz in alot of different ways.
Old 09-27-2007, 06:25 PM   #7
MVP

bgeno's Arena

OVR: 18

I run a 4-2-5. I like the idea of having good athletes near the LOS, and my safeties take care of that. You basically only have cover-1 and cover-3 out of the formation, but you can do a lot with blitzing and it helps having those extra guys up there to stop the run.
Old 09-27-2007, 08:31 PM   #8
Banned

Well I switched to the 4-3 as my base D for a couple games and I did find it to be more effective overall compared to the 3-4. I really liked the 3-4 because of the variety of blitz, and having more speed on the field, but just wasn't working out so well for me. Maybe because of the personnel I have?

Anyway with the 4-3 base I am able to switch to the 4-4, 46, and 52 in short yardage situations so that gives me a better variety against the run. 4-3 even seems to work better against 3 WR sets than the 3-4 was so I think I'll stick with it for now. If I happen to get some stud LB's in the next recruiting process maybe I'll give the 3-4 another look.

Thanks

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »