Home

Which of these guys would you start?

This is a discussion on Which of these guys would you start? within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 11-06-2007, 11:36 AM   #1
MVP

jello1717's Arena

OVR: 16
Which of these guys would you start?

Which of these QBs would you start? Whenever I get a stud freshman, I always want to play them early for fear that if I don't he'll only play as a senior and I feel like I'd waste them. On the other hand, it doesn't make much sense to rob the upper classman of his opportunity to start either. If one is much better than the other, then it's an easy decision.

I have these 3 QBs:

class................ OVR.....THP.....THA......SPD.....AWR.....HGT.....W GHT...where from?
soph(RS)...........85........90........88.......65 ........80.......6'2........190.......Already on team
frosh(RS)...........85........91........88......69 .........78......6'3........200.......I recruited him
frosh.................84........94........86...... 66........74.......6'7........233.......I recruited him

My 97 OVR QB from last year left for the draft after his JR year (big surprise!), so I need a new guy now. The awarenesses might not be accurate (I'm at work) but the disparity between the 3 is very close to accurate. The speed differences are negligible and they're all slow (my QB last year had 85 speed). The accuracies are all about the same, and my true freshman has a freaking cannon (I can't wait to see what that'd be when he's a JR).

I see no reason to play the soph over the frosh(RS). The question is, which frosh would you start? As of now, the RS is a little bit better, but I'm worried that if I redshirt the true freshman, he may transfer away. Even if he doesn't, he'll always probably be just a little bit behind the other guy and will only start for 1 year if I'm lucky.

Which one would you start?
College #1: Michigan Wolverines
College #2: Michigan State Spartans (my alma mater)
College #3: North Carolina Tar Heels
NHL: Detroit Redwings

Last edited by jello1717; 11-06-2007 at 11:43 AM. Reason: trying to fix the columns
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-06-2007, 02:34 PM   #2
Guns Up!

Solidice's Arena

OVR: 63
Re: Which of these guys would you start?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jello1717
Which of these QBs would you start? Whenever I get a stud freshman, I always want to play them early for fear that if I don't he'll only play as a senior and I feel like I'd waste them. On the other hand, it doesn't make much sense to rob the upper classman of his opportunity to start either. If one is much better than the other, then it's an easy decision.

I have these 3 QBs:

class................ OVR.....THP.....THA......SPD.....AWR.....HGT.....W GHT...where from?
soph(RS)...........85........90........88.......65 ........80.......6'2........190.......Already on team
frosh(RS)...........85........91........88......69 .........78......6'3........200.......I recruited him
frosh.................84........94........86...... 66........74.......6'7........233.......I recruited him

My 97 OVR QB from last year left for the draft after his JR year (big surprise!), so I need a new guy now. The awarenesses might not be accurate (I'm at work) but the disparity between the 3 is very close to accurate. The speed differences are negligible and they're all slow (my QB last year had 85 speed). The accuracies are all about the same, and my true freshman has a freaking cannon (I can't wait to see what that'd be when he's a JR).

I see no reason to play the soph over the frosh(RS). The question is, which frosh would you start? As of now, the RS is a little bit better, but I'm worried that if I redshirt the true freshman, he may transfer away. Even if he doesn't, he'll always probably be just a little bit behind the other guy and will only start for 1 year if I'm lucky.

Which one would you start?
wow your pretty stacked at QB. by the numbers you have listed i would go with the redshirt Freshman, slightly faster, but i would look at their acceleration as well, it plays a part in how they run. they are all really close, you may just have to go to practice mode inside of dynasty and test them all out and see if any of them "feels" better.
Old 11-06-2007, 02:47 PM   #3
MVP

ausar72's Arena

OVR: 12

Or you could do "QB-by-committee" until the best one shines above the rest...
Old 11-06-2007, 03:04 PM   #4
Probably Insane

Village Idiot's Arena

OVR: 30

I try not to pay much attention to ratings at all, but instead give PT to guys who have earned it, and that starts with player class. That is, I would start the junior to begin the season (he's put more time in) and then give the other two some spot duty to determine which of them will be the #2 guy. If the junior gets off to a slow start, or plays poorly, then I'd go with one of the freshmen, most likely the 6-7 kid.
Old 11-06-2007, 03:38 PM   #5
MVP

jello1717's Arena

OVR: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undefeated
I try not to pay much attention to ratings at all, but instead give PT to guys who have earned it, and that starts with player class. That is, I would start the junior to begin the season (he's put more time in) and then give the other two some spot duty to determine which of them will be the #2 guy. If the junior gets off to a slow start, or plays poorly, then I'd go with one of the freshmen, most likely the 6-7 kid.
My biggest problem with that is that the "junior" you mentioned is only a sophomore. That means that if he starts and stays til his senior year, the young studs would likely transfer away or, best case scenario, play 1 year.
The sophomore does have the only experience, but this consists of 10 pass attempts in his career.

I took them all to the practice field both with and without defenses and I didn't notice much, if any, difference in their accuracies, INTs, and running speed.
College #1: Michigan Wolverines
College #2: Michigan State Spartans (my alma mater)
College #3: North Carolina Tar Heels
NHL: Detroit Redwings
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-06-2007, 03:56 PM   #6
Probably Insane

Village Idiot's Arena

OVR: 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by jello1717
My biggest problem with that is that the "junior" you mentioned is only a sophomore.
Right, but he's been on the team for two full seasons - been busting tail in practice, etc. That's the way I would approach it from a 'coaching' perspective.

Quote:
That means that if he starts and stays til his senior year, the young studs would likely transfer away or, best case scenario, play 1 year.
There's nothing wrong with that. In fact, it's kinda cool, the little side-story you can tell yourself: 'this kid, a highly-touted recruit, now finally with his chance to shine as a senior'. That's no less immersing than having the same QB for four straight seasons. If anything, it's more exciting.

The point is, too, that if your kids are on the bench, it's because you're winning games and your starter is dope. That's a 'good problem', not a bad one.
Old 11-06-2007, 03:58 PM   #7
Rookie

NCAAFootballFreak's Arena

OVR: 5

I would start the redshirt freshman. He's rated the same overall but has slightly better THP and the same THA and has an extra year of eligibility, which means he has potentially a higher ceiling. Think about it this way -- If you start the Soph, (Note, that from my experience I'm of the opinion that more playing time leads to faster improvement in the off-season) then your RS Freshman will not grow quite as much from season to season as he would if he'd started as a freshman. So once the Soph graduates, he won't be rated as high as he could be. I hope that explanation makes sense.

His awareness is only a tick lower so it's not a big deal. I would be interested to see the ACC numbers to determine if he's at least a little bit more "elusive," but the speed rating indicates that he is. If his ACC rating is higher then it will be even more noticeable.
Old 11-06-2007, 04:01 PM   #8
All Star

DonkeyJote's Arena

OVR: 19

Whenever I lose a starting qb, I go into practice before the start of the season and see which one I play with best. It's not always the highest rated player - in my Georgia dynasty, I actually didn't use Matt Stafford until his senior year, even though he was my highest rated qb all three years.

And just because it's your sophmore this season doesn't mean your stud freshmen can't take over the next year. I would redshirt the true freshman, personally - that way you get another year out of him and don't use a year of eligibility when you have two other quality qb's.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »