Home

Wide Open Gameplay your friend!

This is a discussion on Wide Open Gameplay your friend! within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-19-2009, 01:39 PM   #73
Pro

rhombic21's Arena

OVR: 9
Re: Wide Open Gameplay your friend!

Quote:
Originally Posted by youALREADYknow
100% agree with the last two posts. The entire game feels so scripted that I can predict what's happening next based on player positioning before and after the snap.

I'd say half of my INTs versus the CPU come on hook routes where the QB throws to the same spot every time or passes to the HB in the flats or down the middle (the HB becomes the primary target on every play for those who haven't noticed). That kind of repetitive behavior just destroys a game and cannot possibly be considered "wide open".

Wide open would be teams running reverses, flea flickers, option passes, and stretching the field vertically down the sidelines. Practically none of this occurs in this game, so I can't consider the gameplay "wide open".
And online it's kind of the same thing. Everybody pretty much plays zone defense all the time, and throw it 40 times a game out of shotgun because of the problems with man to man coverage and pass pressure. Because the offense is so over powered, the game takes on a rigid feeling, because there are so few defensive strategies that will actually work with any success. You end up with games where people call the same 10 plays all game (on both offense and defense), and it becomes a very narrow guessing game that essentially comes to resemble rock-paper-scissors.
Old 04-19-2009, 03:01 PM   #74
MVP

youALREADYknow's Arena

OVR: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhombic21
Yeah, but that's the opposite of "wide open" gameplay. Rudy was talking about WOGP in the context of creating more big plays on offense.
That was the cruel irony in NCAA 09. A few design and implementation flaws completely ruined the concept of "Wide Open Gameplay" and made the game the complete opposite.

That's why I find this thread funny because for all of the arguments and discussion about WOGP, it's just a theory. The game of NCAA 09 is NOT wide open in any way.

If the NCAA team wants to keep the game wide open for NCAA 10, then the best places to start are expanding the playbooks (more variety of reverses/option/flex/wishbone/screens) and killing the speed curve. Adaptive AI and the changes to pursuit angles will actually make this game MORE wide open IMO because users will be forced to stretch the field vertically to get big plays instead of using the typical drag(zone)/slant(man) and run around the incompetent defenders.
Old 04-19-2009, 03:36 PM   #75
Pro

rhombic21's Arena

OVR: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by youALREADYknow
That was the cruel irony in NCAA 09. A few design and implementation flaws completely ruined the concept of "Wide Open Gameplay" and made the game the complete opposite.

That's why I find this thread funny because for all of the arguments and discussion about WOGP, it's just a theory. The game of NCAA 09 is NOT wide open in any way.

If the NCAA team wants to keep the game wide open for NCAA 10, then the best places to start are expanding the playbooks (more variety of reverses/option/flex/wishbone/screens) and killing the speed curve. Adaptive AI and the changes to pursuit angles will actually make this game MORE wide open IMO because users will be forced to stretch the field vertically to get big plays instead of using the typical drag(zone)/slant(man) and run around the incompetent defenders.
Exactly. Personally, I feel like NCAA '07 on Last-Gen (for online play) was the closest that we've come to a "wide-open" experience. The playbooks were fairly well developed (not perfect, but far superior to what we have now), and while there were some serious problems with the gameplay AI, it was balanced in the sense that you could use a wide range of strategies to have success (assuming that you had the right personnel and knew how to correctly use your tactic). I have a library of about 50 videos that I made from games that I played on '07 online, and watching those, you get a much deeper sense of variety and an "anything can happen" kind of feeling than you do with '09.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-19-2009, 04:44 PM   #76
Banned

OVR: 38

This video sums up ncaa 09

http://www.easportsworld.com/en_US/video/3983919
Old 04-19-2009, 06:39 PM   #77
Burrow Club

Watson's Arena

OVR: 49

this sums up WWWWOPG

in my MLB CL, after a 7 minute quarter, Varsity game

LSU 80
Troy 0

I KNOW ITS JUST TROY, BUT JESUS H. CHRIST!!!!!!!!

i play on varsity because i find it too hard to play as one defensive player vs. SEC speed

BUT JESUS CHRIST ADAM

this needs to be fixed

end of story

@AdamdotH

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »