Home

Convoy Blocking in 10?

This is a discussion on Convoy Blocking in 10? within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-27-2009, 02:05 PM   #1
MVP

Pokes404's Arena

OVR: 10
Convoy Blocking in 10?

I liked the idea behind convoy blocking, but it just didn't work in 09. I was wondering if it will be making a return in 10 and if any improvements were made to it. I saw this occur twice in 09. Once was in practice mode, and the other was against San Jose State when I was playing on Varsity difficulty. The biggest problem was that even if someone was 15 yards behind you, had less speed than the ball carrier, and had zero chance of being able to catch you, your teammate would still peel back to block him instead of running along side you.

It's a pretty small detail and unimportant in the grand scheme of things, but I was just wondering if any of the devs could let me know because I thought the idea of convoy blocking had the potential to be pretty cool.

Last edited by Pokes404; 05-27-2009 at 06:06 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-27-2009, 03:12 PM   #2
Pro

Soonerd2's Arena

OVR: 7
Re: Convoy Blocking in 10?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pokes404
I liked the idea behind convoy blocking, but it just didn't work in 09. I was just wondering if it will be making a return in 10 and if any improvements were made to it. I saw this occur twice in 09. Once was in practice mode, and the other was against San Jose State when I was playing on Varsity difficulty. The biggest problem was that even if someone was 15 yards behind you, had less speed than the ball carrier, and had zero chance of being able to catch you, my teammate would still peel back to block him.

It's a pretty small detail and unimportant in the grand scheme of things, but I was just wondering if any of the devs could let me know because I thought the idea of convoy blocking had the potential to be pretty cool.
Good question. I wonder if lineman on screen plays are going to let one guy come right around them and make the tackle for a loss.
Old 05-27-2009, 03:23 PM   #3
MVP

jdrhammer's Arena

OVR: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soonerd2
Good question. I wonder if lineman on screen plays are going to let one guy come right around them and make the tackle for a loss.
Yeah, it's like they just played dead or something. The OL that is. Also, I'm tired of passing into the back of an OL who happens to be 5+ yds downfield blocking. Wouldn't that be a penalty?

I saw convoy blocking one time. The D sent the house and when I passed the ball, the one DB grazed the ball and it fell right into my WR's hands. There was one other WR who happened to be a few yards further downfield than the receiver and he immediately started pointing and leading me to the endzone. It looked cool but hasn't happened since.
Old 05-27-2009, 04:00 PM   #4
MVP

Pokes404's Arena

OVR: 10

Speaking of peel back blocks, that's something that drives me crazy when it happens in the wrong situation.

I can remember one time in particular (but it happens all the time). I ran a stretch play with my RB. I got outside the tackle, my TE sealed the DE at first and then released up field. So far, so good. Now, my RB is at full speed, but running out of room because of the sideline. I have a slower DE behind me, and a quick LB coming in on a good angle. My TE is between the RB and LB and is locked in on him. All of the sudden, he peels back and goes back after the DE (who wouldn't have been able to catch me if he'd had a net) and leaves me to fend for myself with the oncoming LB. Needless to say, it didn't end well for my RB. I wish your teammates first priority was to block people downfield, as opposed to blocking guys behind you, even if the guy behind you might be a little bit closer. The defenders in front of you should take precedent over the guys chasing you. Only if a guy is close by and gaining on you from behind (or there's no one out in front of you) should your teammates peel back to block.
Old 05-27-2009, 05:25 PM   #5
Burrow Club

Watson's Arena

OVR: 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdrhammer
Yeah, it's like they just played dead or something. The OL that is. Also, I'm tired of passing into the back of an OL who happens to be 5+ yds downfield blocking.

CO-SIGN

@AdamdotH
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-27-2009, 05:27 PM   #6
Pro

OVR: 9

This animation never triggered for me and I played 09 quite a bit.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »