Home

NHL 09: I don't get it?

This is a discussion on NHL 09: I don't get it? within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-29-2009, 02:18 AM   #1
Banned

OVR: 7
NHL 09: I don't get it?

I'd like to begin this thread by saying that I am by no means a Hockey, I do however like the sport. Anyhow, I've heard a lot a lot of praise about NHL 09 and how well it plays so I decided to rent it. At first I was a little optimistic, but once I got the controls down I became addicted to it. The game is great simply put. From it's gameplay and physics, to it's presentation and how it captures the NHL. On top of that they have all the licensed Hockey gear you could ever want in a game. They have all the Nike, Reebok, ITech, CCM, Warrior, Mission, and Easton gear you see in an actual NHL game. Helmets, gloves, skates, sticks, visors or eye shields, and even goalie gear. You name it, they have. While it isn't perfect, it does a lot of things right that come together to make an excellent title.

So I guess my question is this. If EA can get Hockey down, why have they had so much trouble with their football titles? Especially with the licensed equipment which you'd think would be easy to add. Oh yeah, NHL 09 even has an excellent create a team mode or whatever you wish to call it. What's the issue?

Last edited by Child Rebel; 05-29-2009 at 02:46 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-29-2009, 02:38 AM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 4
Re: NHL 09: I don't get it?

It's simple economics. Hockey is a low demand product and therefore they have try to make a great game to attract a core following. NCAA already has it's core followers that will buy the game every year. Therefore, NCAA is more attracted to spending it's R&D on gimmicks such as CL to build on it's base. These are modes to attract the casual fan that is not interested in competition, presentation or gameplay. It is sad to see that the technology is there, but not the focus, to make the gameplay better.
Old 05-29-2009, 03:24 AM   #3
Rookie

adamgod8's Arena

OVR: 7

One quick thing here, why does NHL play sooo much smoother on PS3 than 360? I feel like there are more glitches in 360 than ps3
Old 05-29-2009, 03:43 AM   #4
Proctor, MN. Go Rails!

Vikes1's Arena

OVR: 23

I'm enjoying EA's hockey game as well.

I haven't played Madden/NCAA since getting NHL. Very fun and interesting hockey game EA.
Old 05-29-2009, 03:51 AM   #5
Rookie

HamTonks's Arena

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Child Rebel
I'd like to begin this thread by saying that I am by no means a Hockey...
Thank God. I was unsure of your credibility.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-29-2009, 04:43 AM   #6
MVP

berad88's Arena

OVR: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by HamTonks
I was just about to comment on that. lol Mr. Hockey game expert OP does not even know if he is a hockey fan.
Old 05-29-2009, 05:05 AM   #7
Pro

jp7588's Arena

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by HamTonks
Old 05-29-2009, 05:36 AM   #8
MVP

boritter's Arena

OVR: 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbsoluteFury
It's simple economics. Hockey is a low demand product and therefore they have try to make a great game to attract a core following. NCAA already has it's core followers that will buy the game every year. Therefore, NCAA is more attracted to spending it's R&D on gimmicks such as CL to build on it's base. These are modes to attract the casual fan that is not interested in competition, presentation or gameplay. It is sad to see that the technology is there, but not the focus, to make the gameplay better.
I disagree. NHL and Fifa by EA have made tremendous strides the past few years. Both those games have competition from either 2K sports or Konami.

Madden and NCAA have become stagnant and have not improved much since they moved to the 360 and PS3. (I do think Madden looks stronger this year). Neither NCAA nor Madden faces any competition since they have exclusive licenses.

In any industry a lack of competition breeds complacency. EA has become complacent with it's football games because they know that if you are going to buy a new game you HAVE to buy theirs.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »