Home

A letter to the powers to be of ncaa football!!

This is a discussion on A letter to the powers to be of ncaa football!! within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?
Closed Thread

Old 07-02-2009, 12:37 PM   #25
MVP

OVR: 29
Re: A letter to the powers to be of ncaa football!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelers1
That's not what I'm saying, or at least not what I meant. The other poster said that if there was no competition, sales for the NCAA game would not drop, which didn't make sense. He was implying that with no competition, NCAA could put out a poor product and still sell the same the amount every year because the game doesn't have a competitor and the people wouldn't have a choice but to buy the game.
that's the definition of a monoply so NCAA clearly doesn't have one. and I don't really believe that I'm just using it as an example to show that NCAA has plenty of competition and whether they have competition or not has very little influence on how good their game is.

Last edited by moylan1234; 07-02-2009 at 12:40 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-02-2009, 01:08 PM   #26
Pro

OVR: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by moylan55
that's the definition of a monoply so NCAA clearly doesn't have one. and I don't really believe that I'm just using it as an example to show that NCAA has plenty of competition and whether they have competition or not has very little influence on how good their game is.
A monopoly is when one company is the only company selling a particular product that has a lot of people who would want to buy that product. It is when that company owns the entire market.

I never really said that it was a monopoly, but I'll say now that it is a type of monopoly that EA has. EA doesn't have a monopoly on video games, sports games, or football games, but they do have a monopoly on NFL video games and NCAA Div 1A college football games. By definition, this is not a true monopoly, since any other company can go out and make a generic football game. BUT the demand is only for the NFL and NCAA licensed games. People want their teams and players.

The definition of monopoly has nothing to do with not being able to lose customers. It has to do with a company having the entire market and being able to control prices. Well, if EA raised their price anymore they would come under more scrutiny from lawsuits. Instead, the way some people see it, is that the instead of the prices going up, the quality is going down. It's not the exact same as a monopoly, but it is very similar.
Old 07-02-2009, 01:22 PM   #27
MVP

it's nothing like a monoply that was my point. And keep in mind when Madden first hit the shelves it didn't have an NFL license, but people still bought it because it was better than most games out at the time. there's nothing stoping another company from making college football games if they thought it was profitable i'm sure there would be.
Old 07-02-2009, 01:31 PM   #28
OMT
MVP

OMT's Arena

OVR: 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by moylan55
yes it is because even though it's the same company it's different teams working on it. Are you going to tell me that the guys working on each game aren't trying to out do eachother every year? Also, not just Madden, but all video games compete for our money/time against eachother. If NCAA truly had zero competition then their sales numbers wouldn't be in decline since 2006 like so many people on here enjoy pointing out.
People will probably laugh at you, but this is true. We view our competition as the other games on the shelves regardless of genere.
Old 07-02-2009, 01:34 PM   #29
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam_Thompson_EA
People will probably laugh at you, but this is true. We view our competition as the other games on the shelves regardless of genere.
yup they already have, it's cool though i'm used to it
Old 07-02-2009, 01:38 PM   #30
Rookie

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureVol;2039773087First of all dude you need to chill....

I dont think we want EA to burn...i just believe that we as consumers demand the most amount of bang for our buck [B
its like getting you son or daughter a big wheel... but the left rear wheel is missing....i mean its still a big wheel but thats only because you have the big wheel on there..but what would any kid say to their parents if they said "well son i know its missing a wheel but you may just have to enjoy it for what it is..[/b]"....Same goes with NCAA....if im shelling out 60 bucks for a game...it better be Darn good with as few problems or missteps as possible.. because come next March i still want to be playing that game. I mean the whole roster thing is ridiculous....i am very aware of the fact that a fix is all but finished and will more than likely be available on release day Kudos to Adam and Russ for being on to of that and giving us updates on that...but the fact that there even is a patch needed speaks volumes on the fact that the game WAS NOT FINISHED because for those of you who dont know...a patch in its basic form is used to cover a HOLE... no need to release a patch on a game if the job is done right the first time...bottom line i want my 60 bucks worth and missing rosters and sliders is not done right.....ESPECIALLY when the exact same areas were problems right out of the box last year...i will end up getting it used but something has got to be done to eliminate these problems..or as someone in a earlier Post said.. the game will eventually be trashed all together....
While I'm not gonna argue your overall point, I think your analogy to the big wheel is a little off. While we know there are already going to be issues with NCAA at release, it is not a big weel missing the back weels. NCAA will still be a playable, and enjoyable (for some) game out of the box, not a completely useless product.
On the subject of competition, I agree 100% that another company making Pro and College Football Games would force EA to step it up. That is the point of competition. Of course the other company has to provide worthy competition, or else it's a non factor. I don't know that competition would nessesarily be a factor in the big issues with NCAA (rosters & sliders), which according to the devs are more the result of an oversight than just not being done, but it would definately push them to make a game that would appeal to more people than their competitors game. Unfortunately, that might make some of the people on here more mad.
Old 07-02-2009, 01:39 PM   #31
Then..Now...Forever

countryboy's Arena

OVR: 62

who didn't see this coming. The thread turning into a debate about NCAA and monopolies. How many times have we seen this now?

I miss the old days of Operation Sports :(

Louisville Cardinals/St.Louis Cardinals
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-02-2009, 01:46 PM   #32
Banned

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exonerated
Wow. Burn those people who like the game....

You would rather EA burn down than let other people enjoy the game for what it is.
YES. The NCAA series has become unplayable.
Closed Thread

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »