Home

Slider Functionality and how it relates to Sim/Casual Gamer.

This is a discussion on Slider Functionality and how it relates to Sim/Casual Gamer. within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-08-2009, 03:57 PM   #1
BOOM!

AuburnAlumni's Arena

OVR: 43
Slider Functionality and how it relates to Sim/Casual Gamer.

The argument of whether or not NCAA is/should appeal more towards the OS "Sim" crowd or the "Casual" gamer i.e. 12 year old Timmy or Joe Random who just wants to hop on and score 9 touchdowns a game on offense is, in my opinion....moot if slider functionality and implementation is done properly.

EA.... take note.

Look in the slider section and see just how many folks have slider settings at either 0 or 100.

This is not a good thing.

If Sliders were truly effective and powerful, you would rarely if ever see someone with slider settings so extreme one way or the other.

You can appeal to both groups of gamers and increase your customer base my making very simple tweaks.

1. Have the default settings on Freshman and Varsity be geared towards a wide open, high scoring game with very little difficulty.

2. Have the default settins on All American and Heisman be more defense oriented and much more challenging AI wise in regards to CPU AI decision making and skill.

3. Increase the number of sliders for each area of football. 5 total sliders for offense is way too simplistic...especially given the amount of attributes listed for each player.

Have Sliders for everything known to man....QB accuracy, throwing power, throwing on run, scrambling, etc. WR catch, release from bump coverage, route running, etc.

Don't worry about the number of sliders...why? Because the only folks who will be using them are the Hardcore "sim" crowd anyway...Timmy and Joe Random are going to just pop the game in and start playing anyway.

To me...it seems like such a simple solution. I've been waiting for EA to take 2k's lead in regards to this as 2k's sports games have TONS of sliders for all areas of the game as well as sliders that are POWERFUL....it makes a difference moving a slider 3 clicks to the left or right.

I fully expect you EA to make drastic strides in this area for NCAA 2011. In my opinion...and given how your biggest competitor in the Sports games arena has led the way already on this for years.....it is a no brainer and will DRASTICALLY improve EVERYONE'S gaming experience.

That's it. Just wanted to share.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-08-2009, 04:05 PM   #2
Banned

OVR: 21
Re: Slider Functionality and how it relates to Sim/Casual Gamer.

thank you aa,

we have been asking for this forever now... just let us do what we want to the game!

exactly, there should be a slider for every attribute in the game.
Old 07-08-2009, 04:12 PM   #3
MVP

OVR: 9

I BEGGED for this last year.....I begged OMT to send this exact opinion on the the gameplay guys because I know its not his area. I used every chance I had to post that a slider setting of 100 should be an absolute extreme and that if this were the case people wouldn't complain so much. I begged for new sliders, I begged to understand what the current sliders even did (with so many new ratings since the last time sliders were updated (have they been ever?) I have a feeling there are many that are simply not covered by any slider at all). That's right I nested a parenthesized statement inside a parenthesized statement.

This is probably the single greatest reason that I am not buying NCAA this year. Even though it felt like I was the only one crying out for this stuff, it is such a glaring omission from the series that I literally question the intelligence of the people in charge of not upgrading it in any way whatsoever. In fact, it's still BROKEN on ship just like last year. It's like it wasn't even touched. It was broken last year, and they patched it; did they even forget to FIX IT on the next version, that's how much they ignored it? I don't know, but it really pushes me away from the game, that's for sure.
Old 07-08-2009, 04:35 PM   #4
Rookie

ianlast's Arena

OVR: 10

Excellent post. Better yet, they should have out of the box sliders that can deliver realistic stats and gameplay feel based on what type of gamer you are.

Picture this: when you first boot up NCAA 10 (for example) you should have a screen asking "what type of gamer are you?" (it could be sim, casual, and something in between) and "what is your preferred quarter length". The AI would then automatically generate a set of "optimized" sliders.
Old 07-08-2009, 04:59 PM   #5
Pro

Bwnarrow3's Arena

OVR: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by AuburnAlumni
Look in the slider section and see just how many folks have slider settings at either 0 or 100.

This is not a good thing.
Exactly.

Slider sensitivity is key in any game. I agree with this 100%

Check out my NBA blog here: www.thetransitionthree.blogspot.com

I'm an avid NBA fan and I'd love some feedback on my articles. I write about all teams too, so check out your favorite team!

Twitter: @bowen_connor and @transition3blog
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-08-2009, 05:04 PM   #6
Banned

OVR: 9

I definitely agree on this issue, without working sliders the game is useless to me as I am a sim gamer.
Old 07-08-2009, 05:56 PM   #7
All Star

callmetaternuts's Arena

OVR: 41

AA, you may want to start discussing NCAA 11 with the devs, all of your campaigning did nada for NCAA 10. For shame.

You too can be a 5* recruit at FSU.......

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwelveozPlaya21
add worthless Xavier Lee to that list..
Quote:
Originally Posted by MassNole
CFL here he comes. Pfft, wait that would require learning a playbook. McDonalds here he comes.
Old 07-08-2009, 06:05 PM   #8
stewaat

OVR:

It's hard to swallow a year's worth of complaining only net minimal gains in areas we wanted.

I can't recall a single person on these boards asking for Season Showdown or a more in-depth Road to Glory.

I can see their point on both "features" but I don't feel the majority of people would benefit from this.

Hopefully next year they follow their own numbers and focus on something like dynasty. I remember reading a quote where over 50% played strictly offline dynasty!

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »