Home

More on sam keller and the lawsuit

This is a discussion on More on sam keller and the lawsuit within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-24-2011, 02:16 AM   #129
Banned

OVR: 32
Re: More on sam keller and the lawsuit

For the record, I do think players should be compensated some how. Like others have said, college football is making money hand over fist and the main attraction is the kids who actually bring it on Saturdays.

Just not sure how to go about it. I too have kind of deviated away from thinking that a full-ride is enough.
Old 08-24-2011, 02:19 AM   #130
Banned

OVR: 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonkeyJote
The randomized players wouldn't make this go away - part of the lawsuit claims that EA is circumventing the no likeness deal by allowing players to fully edit and distribute rosters. If Keller wins, the ability to edit rosters is likely gone.
But that's like giving me a thing of Play Doh and telling me that I can't make an apple out of it, because the apple sued the company, and now I can't enhance the product that I bought by making it into an apple.

I know that is probably a horrible analogy, but it would seem that EA could continue to give us editing capabilities and washing their hands of it. What we choose to do is on us.

I get kind of nonsensical when it comes to this issue, because I've loved this game so much over the years and I know if we lose the ability to edit rosters, I won't buy it again. So, I fully admit that I rarely make sense on this issue.
Old 08-24-2011, 02:22 AM   #131
All Star

DonkeyJote's Arena

OVR: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apostle
But that's like giving me a thing of Play Doh and telling me that I can't make an apple out of it, because the apple sued the company, and now I can't enhance the product that I bought by making it into an apple.

I know that is probably a horrible analogy, but it would seem that EA could continue to give us editing capabilities and washing their hands of it. What we choose to do is on us.

I get kind of nonsensical when it comes to this issue, because I've loved this game so much over the years and I know if we lose the ability to edit rosters, I won't buy it again. So, I fully admit that I rarely make sense on this issue.
But EA is enabling, even encouraging, gamers to circumvent this. They might have been able to get around it, but the addition of EA Locker, which was very obviously put in so players could share accurate rosters, kinda damns EA here.

There's a $1 billion estimate out there that is wrong, because the guy is including FCS athletes, and in NCAA, you cannot edit FCS teams, and they're entirely fictional (at least of the current-gen systems).
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-24-2011, 09:55 AM   #132
Left side, strong side

C the Lyte's Arena

OVR: 18

Any body ever remember a time when a $40,000 scholarship and education was compensation?
Old 08-24-2011, 11:45 AM   #133
Banned

OVR: 1

Ok. I have to put my 2 cents in.

First off, I am not saying players shouldn't be paid, but to say they are the ones generating the money is ridiculous. The money is made because of the atmosphere and die hard pagentry of the sport, not because of the players. If you would take every D-1 player off all the schools and replace them with all the D-II players, the sport would not miss a beat. Fans cheer for the University, no matter who is playing for them. The SPORT makes the money, not the individual player.

2nd, nobody is forcing these guys to play. They play because they want to make the NFL and/or make their University proud, while possibly getting an education, if they so choose. The players should be thanking the schools for giving them a scholarship (which is worth thousands of dollars) and letting them showcase their abilities to the NFL.

Now, if the NCAA decides to pay the players, they have to pay every player equally or this will kill recruiting. Players will just go to whichever school pays them the most.
Old 08-24-2011, 01:20 PM   #134
MVP

blkrptnt819's Arena

OVR: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suntan Superman
so pretty much screw the whole "higher education" aspect of college.
Did I say that?!?! NO! But let's be honest, if those kids could showcase their skills anywhere besides college a lot would. To the Athletic dept those kids are assets to making money, PERIOD! Don't get high and mighty and talk like the kids are put first. If they were teams wouldn't fly out for games til the last player got outta class on Friday.

If you can't tell I LOVE DUKE!!!!!!!!
Old 08-24-2011, 02:35 PM   #135
All Star

DonkeyJote's Arena

OVR: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by C the Lyte
Any body ever remember a time when a $40,000 scholarship and education was compensation?
Yeah, but when the cost of attendence for a University is closer to $80,000, how is that fair? The last quarter I went to school, I received $5500 in financial aid, and on top of that, had a part time job, and I still struggled to get by. And I got a lot more than a college football player gets, money-wise. You guys are living in a fantasy world where the school pays for your tuition, fees, room and board, and magically, you're set. That's not how it is.

Take Tim Tebow for example. When at Florida, the value of his full scholarship was approximately $13,000. That's about $7,000 (a year) short of the actual cost of attendance. I guess Timmy got to get a job. But wait, he can't, because he has football practice all the time (makes it kinda hard to get a job) in addition to NCAA regulations which make if difficult to athletes, particularly high profile ones, getting a job.

I think there's three ways to handle this. One, up the value of the scholarship to full Cost of Attendance. That gives the players the same amount of money that other students get. Two, treat the sport as a work-study. They get paid per hour of practice. Three, have the school organize events such as autograph signings or public appearances and allow the players to make money off their image as well, just like the school already does.

These guys make a ton of money for a school. Oh, and by the way, a full scholarship doesn't carry nearly the weight it did years ago thanks to federal assistance, loans, grants, and scholarships being more accessible and obtainable than ever. If they didn't play football, they could get even more money.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-24-2011, 02:52 PM   #136
Rookie

rocafella254's Arena

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonkeyJote
Yeah, but when the cost of attendence for a University is closer to $80,000, how is that fair? The last quarter I went to school, I received $5500 in financial aid, and on top of that, had a part time job, and I still struggled to get by. And I got a lot more than a college football player gets, money-wise. You guys are living in a fantasy world where the school pays for your tuition, fees, room and board, and magically, you're set. That's not how it is.

Take Tim Tebow for example. When at Florida, the value of his full scholarship was approximately $13,000. That's about $7,000 (a year) short of the actual cost of attendance. I guess Timmy got to get a job. But wait, he can't, because he has football practice all the time (makes it kinda hard to get a job) in addition to NCAA regulations which make if difficult to athletes, particularly high profile ones, getting a job.

I think there's three ways to handle this. One, up the value of the scholarship to full Cost of Attendance. That gives the players the same amount of money that other students get. Two, treat the sport as a work-study. They get paid per hour of practice. Three, have the school organize events such as autograph signings or public appearances and allow the players to make money off their image as well, just like the school already does.

These guys make a ton of money for a school. Oh, and by the way, a full scholarship doesn't carry nearly the weight it did years ago thanks to federal assistance, loans, grants, and scholarships being more accessible and obtainable than ever. If they didn't play football, they could get even more money.
I dont know if this is just my experience, but cost of attendance is a joke. Last year at Ohio State my cost of attendance was roughly $55,000. I took out $10,000 less than that and had money to spare. I wasn't living a Hollywood lifestyle, but I was definitely not struggling

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »