Home

More on sam keller and the lawsuit

This is a discussion on More on sam keller and the lawsuit within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-10-2009, 02:55 PM   #17
Rookie

OVR: 2
Re: More on sam keller and the lawsuit

"And again quite using they get a free scholarship, nothing is free and they worked their *** off to get that thing. It may cost the school a few thousand but what they get in return in ticket sales, gear, etc.. more then makes up for it.

And again they earned that scholarship through their play or in the classroom."

I'd actually like to see the overall numbers. Schools give tons of athletic scholarships, but most (if not all) of those sports lose money (often a lot of $$$). I've heard (who knows, maybe it's total BS) that many schools rely on revenue from bball and football to make up for the money they lose in essentially all other varsity sports.

Generally I understand that athletes aren't compensated for the revenue they generate, but then again, plenty of other individuals who directly or indirectly generate millions for schools aren't compensated either: If my undergraduate research brings money and recognition to my school's Physics department (if, say, it leads to my project's advisor getting a huge research grant), do I then deserve a taste?
Old 07-10-2009, 03:12 PM   #18
All Star

OVR: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sauk
lol amateur...so you would be ok if someone made money of you with out you ever getting a penny for it? I would think not, but just to be different you would probably say yes.

And again quite using they get a free scholarship, nothing is free and they worked their *** off to get that thing. It may cost the school a few thousand but what they get in return in ticket sales, gear, etc.. more then makes up for it.

And again they earned that scholarship through their play or in the classroom.
Yup, if someone paid for my $20k in student loans they can use my likeness however damn well they please.

Hell the compensation might not seem fair compared to what the university makes but what is in this world. The university system is just like corporate America. Universities make money off of their student athletes the same way corporations make money off of their employees work/services. Should a JC Penny print model receive percentage of the profit made from every piece of clothing that was sold that he/she modeled?
Old 07-10-2009, 03:14 PM   #19
Banned

OVR: 6

The more i read thru this forum the more i see communist views. All i ever hear on her is a bunch of people telling other people they should think this or that, they should feel this way or that way. Did freedom go out the window on these forums. I'm not trying to name drop but my cousin Nick plays D-1 football and i play because he is on there. I believe he should have some compensation because i just admitted i spent 60 dollars to play the game for his likeness. Nike, adidas, under armour, corporate sponsors, NCAA, EA, 2K all make money off of these guys and they never see a scent but thats ok right. I believe a player should have the option to get a scholarship and receive no compensation, or pay for school and recieve endorsements. The problem with that is that it would cut out the middle man (NCAA) and supposedly de value the college game but if you instituted a base salary in college sports it would eliminate this problem all together but they definitely deserve compensation and anyone who thinks otherwise is a *****
Old 07-10-2009, 03:22 PM   #20
MVP

Roggie's Arena

OVR: 17

“We signed a paper at the beginning of college saying we couldn’t benefit from our name,” said Keller, who is now 24 and living in Scottsdale, Ariz. “So why was the N.C.A.A. turning a blind eye to this and allowing EA Sports to take our likenesses and make big bucks off it?”

If we want to get technical, they aren't using their name. So his quote fails.

But in reality, I'd DIE to have a scholarship to school. If they gave out scholarships for men's bowling in college, I'd be at U of M right now on their team. If they ever made a college bowling game (I'm aware NEVER, but i'm being hypothetical), and I was in that, I'd be honored. And guess what? I wouldn't put a lawsuit out from that, because instead of going to the community college I'm going to now, I'd be at U of M paying nothing instead of about 125k. So, if that isn't compensation, I don't know what is.
Old 07-10-2009, 03:32 PM   #21
I Drink Like A Champion!!

yankeesgiants's Arena

OVR: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sauk
lol amateur...so you would be ok if someone made money of you with out you ever getting a penny for it? I would think not, but just to be different you would probably say yes.

And again quite using they get a free scholarship, nothing is free and they worked their *** off to get that thing. It may cost the school a few thousand but what they get in return in ticket sales, gear, etc.. more then makes up for it.

And again they earned that scholarship through their play or in the classroom.
Thats a two way street. The kids use the school as much as the school profits of the kid. look at the one and done in hoops. Fact is you only need to pass 6 credit hours too be elgible in the second semister, ala conference play! Then for the most part, your not going to class anymore, your going to the NBA or Europe after march madness. You used the institution which gives you access to national audience to make a cash move. You promised them 4 years and you bailed after 8 months to cash in and the school is selling your jersey with no name on the back in the team shop. How is that any different? Fact is Sam Keller is talking out of both sides of his mouth. He thought it was "cool" when he was at ASU but, when his career went up in flames at Nebraska, he wants to sue.

Free education is a valid point. Your not 80k or more is the hole on loans to pay back strictly because of your ability to throw a football, shoot a basketball or a Hockey puck which btw has ZERO to do with your major. Thats the difference.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-10-2009, 03:39 PM   #22
Rookie

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeceptiveBlaze
... if you instituted a base salary in college sports it would eliminate this problem all together but they definitely deserve compensation and anyone who thinks otherwise is a *****
That brings up even more issues, though.

If we're compensating athletes based on revenue generated, then I suppose the non-revenue-sport athletes should get nothing? Or maybe you should get compensation based on the money you bring in for your school (another can of worms to open)?

And what about the guys on the bench? The fans aren't forking over tons of $$$ to see Mr. Bottom-of-the-3-deep play, since he's barely (if at all) making it onto the field. Should he be compensated for merely being on the team?

To take it further, should scholarships be seen as something that can be revoked at any point in time if the athlete isn't measuring up to his scholly offer?* After all, if his free education is something that he's "earning" by playing football, why should he even get to keep his scholarship if he sucks?

* I know scholarships are occasionally revoked, but it's usually horrible PR for the coach and the program.
Old 07-10-2009, 03:44 PM   #23
Rookie

OVR: 5

scholarships are revoked all the time. 2nd most schools now a days have you sign them on a yearly basis, not just 4 years span type of scholarship.

When I had my scholarship at a D1 school it would have been nice to get some extra money from the ncaa or school for using my likeness in games. (I am not talking hundreds of dollars extra just so you know)

You guys keep on saying free education, but again there is nothing for free. They earned it and they pay for it by playing sports at the school. It is like working a job, except that job is that persons sport. Which train year round

Last edited by Sauk; 07-10-2009 at 03:55 PM.
Old 07-10-2009, 03:51 PM   #24
Banned

OVR: 6

ok can anybody tell me why a player shouldn't have a choice of a scholarship or a sponsorship. Like i said just sounds like a bunch of haters on here waaaa i want my college payed forr waaaaa if you want it payed for just do this

1. work out

2. get talent.

ok since we established you can't do that then get over it. let me give you an example tim tebow was a resident of florida so his schooling would be cheaper and he was an honor roll student so academic scholarships were a plenty, then you factor in base financial aid off grants and scholarships and his schooling is payed for right. Well he wouldn't have been in debt and could have walked on. He has been their 4 years and at minimum him alone has made the university at least 1 million dollars each year (people come to see him and they even sell Superman wears tim tebow pajamas t-shirts)
So can you honestly tell me it is ok for a university to make 4 million off of him while giving 80k is ok. Is this slave labor lol do you even believe that he will use that education when goes to the nfl no he won't but its ok right cause of some waiver he signed Tebow is becoming a missionary when he finishes playing anyway. I really don't think a base salary of like 700 dollars a month would cheapen the game as long as all players make the same wage and it would keep a lot of disadvantage youth from making irresponsible choices in regards to boosters and things of that nature. When you don't consider offering players something as little as 700 bucks which could keep boosters away and things like what happened with reggie bush and oj mayo from happening. Florida mad millions of the BCS alone and even bowlers should get some form of money lol not 700 more like whatever your average is lol

Last edited by DeceptiveBlaze; 07-10-2009 at 03:54 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »