Home

What to do vs 3 to 4 play guy?

This is a discussion on What to do vs 3 to 4 play guy? within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-06-2009, 02:40 AM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 5
What to do vs 3 to 4 play guy?

Anyone have a good idea vs the type of guy that does this? I had the problem tonight where he would just do a few plays, basically the same thing out of like 2 or 3 formations. He would sprint out to the wide side and hit the flat guy real fast or wait and get some crossing WR or TE after things start to breakdown.

I would try to blitz the backside and have to take the wide side DE and sprint out to the wide side to try and cover the flat. This worked a little bit but not enough to shut him down at all (and if i over seleceted the DE i was screwed even more). I HATE playing a game were its my 2 or 3 def plays vs his 3 or 4 off plays and thats the extent of the mind blowing strategy... drives me nuts when people take advantage of AI like this. Run the damn play as its intended in the playbook;p. If its a roll out pass by all means roll out, hot route and flip plays do all that good stuff, just DON'T take advantage of a flaw in a system. I havent played to many guys online yet and I just need to know the strategies to beat these types of clowns.;p
Honestly would rather not even play them but its in my OD so I don't have a choice. I don't really want to have to play the game where I pick the same damn defense over and over. Its just so lame and has zero football strategy. I just want to play simulation, not I found a way to gain 1800 yards with my WR and throw for 4k yards on these masterful plays.... I get it that it works and I know there is a def that will probably stop it...but reeaallly? God its so boring playing those games. I give all the respect to you if you can beat me straight up and actually READ the defense make the corect call, keep me off balance, whatever just please for the love of god don't just do what "works" learn to read a defense and I promise the rewards will be so much better then...I have the 1800 yard WR cause I can run this uber play 25 times a game.....gah. I am venting cause its just so lame;p. Yes and I lost and lost bad....
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-06-2009, 02:45 AM   #2
Midtable shrug

NoDakHusker's Arena

OVR: 47
Re: What to do vs 3 to 4 play guy?

DE contain is a good play against people who like to scramble their QBs to the far sides of the field, it at least keeps them in the pocket. Sometimes it just takes experience against these kind of players and figuring out what defensive looks work and which don't.
I don't know if thats what you were asking or whatever but I thought I would put that out there.
Old 08-06-2009, 02:48 AM   #3
stewaat

OVR:

This is just how people play the game man. I don't know why but they love to do it. It's all about winning and bragging about how good they are or something.

I don't even know why people ask for any type of realism in the game when the large majority of people who play it want to win 100-0 every game.

Old 08-06-2009, 02:56 AM   #4
Midtable shrug

NoDakHusker's Arena

OVR: 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by stewaat
This is just how people play the game man. I don't know why but they love to do it. It's all about winning and bragging about how good they are or something.

I don't even know why people ask for any type of realism in the game when the large majority of people who play it want to win 100-0 every game.
because those people only play to win...they get some kind of satisfaction out of beating people 100-0 with Florida or Ohio State. They only want to win. I love to win(who doesn't), but you can't win them all and I don't mind losing, it's apart of football.
I don't play online often, because most of the time its just ridiculous with those kind of players. Rarely do I ever get the chance to play a sim player online.
Old 08-06-2009, 03:11 AM   #5
Rookie

Any of you guys know of a OD that requires sim play at all? I assume I could find it here on one of the forums. Maybe another website or something like that.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-06-2009, 12:15 PM   #6
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cito2009
I HATE playing a game were its my 2 or 3 def plays vs his 3 or 4 off plays and thats the extent of the mind blowing strategy... drives me nuts when people take advantage of AI like this.
I hate to break it to you, but this guy wasn't taking advantage of bad artificial intelligence. He was taking advantage of bad human intelligence. If you really suck at chess, and your opponent, game after game, consistently takes your King within 10 moves, you can't rightly criticize him for having an unimaginative strategy. He could very well have imaginative strategies, but just doesn't need to use them against you. There are a multitude of plays at your disposal to counter the offensive strategies you mentioned. You, not your opponent, are responsible for the unrealistic nature of your game. If a college offensive coordinator could have success running only 3 or 4 plays in a game, he would. But usually this isn't effective. The defense would adjust and shut down the offense. You didn't hold up your end of the bargain. A true "sim game" isn't when players punt on 4th down or mix up their playcalls simply to be nice to their opponent, but instead when players do these things because it's actually to their advantage to do so. The former is only a "sim game" on the surface. In reality, it's sacrificed the most important element of the game; competition.

That said, even when I play against someone who can't stop my first set of plays, I'll still mix it up. But I'll do so for my own benefit, not for his. It's not smart to become dependent on strategies that only work against weaker opponents.

Quote:
I give all the respect to you if you can beat me straight up and actually READ the defense make the corect call, keep me off balance, whatever just please for the love of god don't just do what "works" learn to read a defense and I promise the rewards will be so much better then...I have the 1800 yard WR cause I can run this uber play 25 times a game.....gah. I am venting cause its just so lame;p. Yes and I lost and lost bad....
It sounds like he WAS reading your defense. Your defense was screaming to him, "Run the same play over and over because I don't know how to stop it!"

I know I probably sound heartless, but once you accept that your opponents don't owe you anything (other than not cheating), you'll have a lot more fun with this game online. It will probably make you a better player too. Because people don't think very clearly when they are angry. Intead of thinking, "How dare this *sshole run the same plays over and over," you should be calmly thinking, "What adjustments do I need to make to stop this?"
Old 08-06-2009, 12:26 PM   #7
Rookie

OVR: 2

ive come across those players too and i like some type of contain or QB spy with a speedy LB. It usually happens when i play someone who uses Ohio State, and they just drop back in shotgun and run around with pryor. the containment plays usually work well but the best thing to do is lay a big hit on him and injure the QB for a while or cause a fumble. just be careful and dont use the same def play over and over or he'll wait for your def to come up to stop the run and then drop one over head for a td. but really what do i know, im like 5-10 online
Old 08-06-2009, 12:34 PM   #8
Banned

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhawkmike
I hate to break it to you, but this guy wasn't taking advantage of bad artificial intelligence. He was taking advantage of bad human intelligence. If you really suck at chess, and your opponent, game after game, consistently takes your King within 10 moves, you can't rightly criticize him for having an unimaginative strategy. He could very well have imaginative strategies, but just doesn't need to use them against you. There are a multitude of plays at your disposal to counter the offensive strategies you mentioned. You, not your opponent, are responsible for the unrealistic nature of your game. If a college offensive coordinator could have success running only 3 or 4 plays in a game, he would. But usually this isn't effective. The defense would adjust and shut down the offense. You didn't hold up your end of the bargain. A true "sim game" isn't when players punt on 4th down or mix up their playcalls simply to be nice to their opponent, but instead when players do these things because it's actually to their advantage to do so. The former is only a "sim game" on the surface. In reality, it's sacrificed the most important element of the game; competition.

That said, even when I play against someone who can't stop my first set of plays, I'll still mix it up. But I'll do so for my own benefit, not for his. It's not smart to become dependent on strategies that only work against weaker opponents.

It sounds like he WAS reading your defense. Your defense was screaming to him, "Run the same play over and over because I don't know how to stop it!"

I know I probably sound heartless, but once you accept that your opponents don't owe you anything (other than not cheating), you'll have a lot more fun with this game online. It will probably make you a better player too. Because people don't think very clearly when they are angry. Intead of thinking, "How dare this *sshole run the same plays over and over," you should be calmly thinking, "What adjustments do I need to make to stop this?"
Don't agree with your post at all. I can run the same play all game long and beat most people, including you. You can change up the D all you want and I can run this one play and beat you. Defenses on this game are horrible.

There is NO STRATEGY involved with this game. The Defensive AI is horrid. I will give you an example. Did you know that in football there is no play called DE contain? There is not one Pop Warner, Junior High, High School, College, or NFL coach that is going to teach his Defensive ends to rush out 5 yards and stand. Now if the QB backs up too far then you are allowed to attack him. If the QB rolls out of the pocket you are allowed to attack him as well. This is put into the game because EA DOES NOT KNOW HOW TO PROGRAM A DEFENSE!!!! Spying a defender also does not work. Another totally Useless feature because a Spy stands and watches the QB scramble and does nothing. A spy is better suited to stop a pass play than stop a scrambling QB.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »