Home

Help--football newb

This is a discussion on Help--football newb within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-29-2009, 02:28 PM   #9
Rookie

croc500's Arena

OVR: 5
Re: Help--football newb

I read your tips, some good information here. Im familiar with the sport but sometimes not sure what defense to run, this info. will help me. Im not sure if I should have created a new tread or not, but I have a related quesiton for you as well. When you are running defense, do you pay much attention to what the cpu has on the field as far as number of wr, te, rb? Or do you go more with what the down and yardage is as far as what you think the cpu will do in the situation.
Old 09-29-2009, 06:04 PM   #10
Rookie

OVR: 2

Some good info here. I use a 3-4 because i have a bunch of stud daddys at LB. I love recruiting those guys plus ive converted a couple of FS to OLB. All of my startes plus most backups have 86+ speed and high on awareness as well. I like recruiting the LB's because they can usually convert to a DL without a ratings drop and often with an increase, you just have to watch the size difference so you arent putting a 210 lb guy against a 325 lb guy. it doesnt go well. The only thing that i would add would be to watch awareness on your DB's and LB's. Thats always a big selling point for me.

Or you could get OSU and just drop back and run around with Pryor and score all the time like some people. Not much fun though.

As for the play setup... i have no idea but have wondered myself. my guess is that if it is not completely setup then it runs like it was at 0% but im not sure.

Peace out homies and JUUUUUUUUUUUUULIOOOOO for heisman and all that good stuff
Old 09-29-2009, 07:31 PM   #11
Rookie

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morikal
Thanks again for the reply.

What are press & release ratings in a players ratings?

If a play is partially setup (i.e., displays something like "36% Setup"), do you get any setup benefit? That is, do you get 36% or whatever of the benefit from setting it up? Or will running that play be like running it completely not set up, and just reset your setting it up with no benefit? (I hope that made sense, sorry if it didn't)
The press rating is a defensive back(corner backs) ability to play press coverage. Press coverage is when the corner gets up in the wide receiver's face and prevents him from getting a clean release off the line. The release rating is how good the wide receiver is at getting out of the corner back's press coverage.

As far a setting up plays as far as I know the play has to be 100% set up to get the benefits from it.

Feel free to keep asking away.

Last edited by b mill; 09-29-2009 at 07:38 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-29-2009, 07:37 PM   #12
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by croc500
I read your tips, some good information here. Im familiar with the sport but sometimes not sure what defense to run, this info. will help me. Im not sure if I should have created a new tread or not, but I have a related quesiton for you as well. When you are running defense, do you pay much attention to what the cpu has on the field as far as number of wr, te, rb? Or do you go more with what the down and yardage is as far as what you think the cpu will do in the situation.
I tend to look at both but I focus mainly on the personnel the offense has on the field. I run a 4-2-5 so I'm in a formation that can stop the run and still have the speed to hang around in 3, 4, 5 receiver sets. In a defense like a 4-3 or a 3-4 I tend to go to a nickel or dime package when the offense comes with 4 or 5 wide receiver. Some people don't really mind that but I don't like the idea of a line backer trying to play man to man with a wide receiver. In terms of down and distance if its third and long I'm going to guess that the offense is going to pass so I call a play that can stop the pass, if it's third and short I'll call a run stopping play.
Old 09-30-2009, 01:08 AM   #13
MVP

boisejames's Arena

OVR: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by croc500
I always have 4-2-5 as my base D and I only ever use anything else if they come out in 5 WR sets (I use Dime) or inside the 3 yard line and 0 and maybe 1 WR sets (I use Goal Line). And obviously if it's their last play of the game/half I use quarter.
MLB: SEA
EFL: BHA
MLS: POR
Old 09-30-2009, 02:40 PM   #14
Rookie

Morikal's Arena

OVR: 1

Couple of additional questions:

1) What makes a play a "run-stopping" play vs a pass-stopping play?
So far, my guesses are:
a) If you have d-linemen doing some funky coverage stuff, its pass-stopping (like the one where your DTs go into coverage and only your DEs rush the line)
b) If your linebackers are in zone coverage near the line or near where they started presnap, thats more run-stopping?
c) Linebackers covering the tailbacks in man would also be more runstopping I assume
d) formations with more linemen and linebackers are going to be better at stopping the run than formations with more CBs and safeties

Any other tips? If I want to be in 4-3 for instance, and want a run-stopping play, what should I be looking for? What if I think they might go pass, but know they can blow by me if I have less than 7 guys in the box? In that case, what kind of play in 4-3 would be more pass-stop oriented?

More questions about press coverage:
1) When would it be bad to do press coverage?
2) Is press coverage already set in the plays with "press" in the name, like Cover 2 Press? (I.e., in such plays, would calling the "press" coverage audible have no additional effect?)
3) Is there any effect of calling a press coverage audible for a zone coverage play? (Will your DBs try to press the receivers before going to their zones?)

How do you properly stop runs in 4-2-5? I have problems stopping good running teams even when I go 46 bear or 4-4... (probably goes back to my question about what properties a good run-stopping play has)

Is 4-2-5 just nickel? 3 CBs, 2 safeties, 2 OLBs, 2 DTs, 2 DEs? If its not the same as nickel, is it the same positions out on the field, but lined up in a different way than they line up for nickel?
Old 09-30-2009, 07:23 PM   #15
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morikal
Couple of additional questions:

1) What makes a play a "run-stopping" play vs a pass-stopping play?
So far, my guesses are:
a) If you have d-linemen doing some funky coverage stuff, its pass-stopping (like the one where your DTs go into coverage and only your DEs rush the line)
b) If your linebackers are in zone coverage near the line or near where they started presnap, thats more run-stopping?
c) Linebackers covering the tailbacks in man would also be more runstopping I assume
d) formations with more linemen and linebackers are going to be better at stopping the run than formations with more CBs and safeties

Any other tips? If I want to be in 4-3 for instance, and want a run-stopping play, what should I be looking for? What if I think they might go pass, but know they can blow by me if I have less than 7 guys in the box? In that case, what kind of play in 4-3 would be more pass-stop oriented?

More questions about press coverage:
1) When would it be bad to do press coverage?
2) Is press coverage already set in the plays with "press" in the name, like Cover 2 Press? (I.e., in such plays, would calling the "press" coverage audible have no additional effect?)
3) Is there any effect of calling a press coverage audible for a zone coverage play? (Will your DBs try to press the receivers before going to their zones?)

How do you properly stop runs in 4-2-5? I have problems stopping good running teams even when I go 46 bear or 4-4... (probably goes back to my question about what properties a good run-stopping play has)

Is 4-2-5 just nickel? 3 CBs, 2 safeties, 2 OLBs, 2 DTs, 2 DEs? If its not the same as nickel, is it the same positions out on the field, but lined up in a different way than they line up for nickel?
1) Your pretty much spot on but for me I like blitzing to stop the run it can be done with basic plays like Cover 2, 2 Man under and Cover 3 but I prefer to bring some heat if I'm expecting a run.

In the 4-3, I like to blitz to stop the run so anything with blitzing line backers works for me and when looking for the pass I just won't blitz and call something like 2 Man Under or Cover 2 Buc.

Press Coverage:
1) I bad time to play press coverage is long distance situations when there's a good chance the receiver is going deep. Playing press coverage leaves your defensive backs at a higher risk to get beat, that's why I like really athletic guys that can make up ground if they get beat.
2)I honestly don't know. If I want to press I just audible or whatever to press coverage.
3) Pressing does work in zone and your defensive backs will press and then once the receiver releases they will get to their zone.

The 4-2-5 is essentially a nickel package but its different. The nickel brings in a 3rd corner but in the 4-2-5 the extra player in the secondary is a Strong Safety. In the 4-2-5 and the 3-3-5 the two strong safeties play closer to the line of scrimmage almost like outside linebackers. Stopping the run in the 4-2-5 can be tricky at times but plays I find effective are Middle Blitz out of 4-2-5 Normal, Storm red, and FS Blitz. All of those plays stop the run but give up pass coverage so be careful when you use them.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-01-2009, 10:32 AM   #16
Rookie

Morikal's Arena

OVR: 1

Oh yeah, so those "under" plays... again I'm just guessing, could someone confirm?

I notice that 4-3 has an "over" and an "under" option, which seems to shift a LB to the strong side (for under) or the weak side (for over). Is that all it means? I..e, in regular 4-3, a "cover 2 under" means to concentrate on the strong side? The reason I'm not sure is that the play looks exactly the same in the playbook (to me at least) as cover 2 press...

Thanks!

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »