Home

The Air Raid Offense

This is a discussion on The Air Raid Offense within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-30-2010, 01:23 PM   #89
MVP

Dirty Turtles's Arena

OVR: 10
Re: The Air Raid Offense

I'm using the Air Raid (BYU playbook) in my Arkansas State dynasty with All-American sliders. I'm 6-2 and absolutely lighting it up.

I've had to have some shootouts because of my lack of defensive presence, losing 38-35 to UL Lafayette and 52-51 to Tulsa, while having an insane 74-63 shootout with Run & Shooting SMU. The rest of my games I've routinely blown my opponent out of the water, including an 84-42 win over North Texas, a 72-35 thrashing of FAU, a 69-14 win over 1-AA Southeast, a 63-35 win over Troy and a 60-17 win over UL Monroe. The best part is, I also find good success on the ground as well. I've broken every passing record (minus career yardage) in school history, and I'll easily break Colt Brennan's NCAA mark for passing touchdowns in a season. i have a receiver who has broken just about every school record as well, and should easily take the most receptions, yards and touchdowns in a season for the NCAA as well.

I run a total of five plays:

Double Flex Formation, Y stick
Trips Open, Y Stick
Trips Open, HB Draw
Trips Open, Deep Attack
Trips Open, Four Verticals

I usually come out in the Trips Open, Deep Attack play and audible to one of the other plays if I don't like the look of the defense. Anything less than 4 down line men is an automatic HB Draw. Anything with four linemen and no middle linebacker is an automatic HB Draw. The beauty of this offense is exact as state before, I can dink and dunk, or I can stretch the field.

Usually I stick with the Trips Open, Deep Attack as my play. It's perfect, because if they play man I can beat them on the crossing patterns or dump it off to my HB. If they play a shallow zone with cover 2, I'm taking it deep across the middle. If they drop back into cover 3, I'm going to hit the in as he trickles across the deeper routes or dump it off to the back.

Right now I'm trying to recruit a bunch of WRs, 2 decent OL at each position and a QB to hopefully get a little better ratings at that position, but I'm perfectly happy with Aplin (a soph) in there for the next few years if need be. I want at least 12 receivers on my roster, because I run it no huddle and plan to change the subs so I can bring in new corps each time I have a stoppage in play for a huddle. I want their defense tired and my guys fresh as much as possible.

Hopefully I can get another year of seasoning in the Sun Belt before moving onto Conference USA, but I have a feeling I'll get the invite after this season (1-1 vs Conf USA in two games). I've got Middle Tennessee, Western Kentucky and FIU left on my conference schedule and a game at Arkansas on the last week to go. I should probably finish at least 8-4 and win a bowl, but I anticipate a 9-3 finish and New Orleans bowl win.
Old 07-30-2010, 04:12 PM   #90
Banned

johntom2000's Arena

OVR: 9
Icon14 Re: The Air Raid Offense

Whew doggies, 602 yds passing and won my online game. I LOVE HOUSTON PLAYBOOK! running it with Cincinnati
Old 07-30-2010, 06:33 PM   #91
Pro

blakty's Arena

OVR: 6

Went back to The RnS. Don't know about you guys, but I can't stand having all these formations and essentially running the same plays. I bet I could find the same play in at least 3 different sets. I felt like I needed more variety in my air attack. Went with SMU's
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-31-2010, 01:39 PM   #92
Banned

johntom2000's Arena

OVR: 9
Icon6 Re: The Air Raid Offense

Quote:
Originally Posted by blakty
Went back to The RnS. Don't know about you guys, but I can't stand having all these formations and essentially running the same plays. I bet I could find the same play in at least 3 different sets. I felt like I needed more variety in my air attack. Went with SMU's
I am the total opposite. I don't like the R-n-S. too many option routes to watch. I like having my go to plays in different formations for a different look.
Old 07-31-2010, 03:26 PM   #93
Rookie

kingoftroy59's Arena

OVR: 1

The problem with the RnS in this game is that receivers do a crappy job of reading the coverage. It's gotten to the point where I have to manually hot route my receivers to the correct read on many plays, because they can't figure it out themselves (this might be due to my use of SMU, as their receivers all have poor AWR ratings).
Old 07-31-2010, 03:53 PM   #94
Asst 2 the Comm Manager

TheShizNo1's Arena

OVR: 33

I suck at consistent passing, but I may have to check these PB's out
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo
You underestimate my laziness
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo
**** ya

Old 07-31-2010, 04:02 PM   #95
Air Raid

Dr Death's Arena

OVR: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingoftroy59
The problem with the RnS in this game is that receivers do a crappy job of reading the coverage. It's gotten to the point where I have to manually hot route my receivers to the correct read on many plays, because they can't figure it out themselves (this might be due to my use of SMU, as their receivers all have poor AWR ratings).
And this is where EA makes no damn sense at all. SMU is one of two schools using this offense and they are being taught by a guy who has been immersed in this offense for over 30 years, yet their WR's are all so stupid they can't figure out a Cover 2 from a Cover 3?

I've got news for you EA... their WR's are a lot smarter than you give them credit for. 8-5 last year and a 45-10 butt whipping of Nevada should have proven that.

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-31-2010, 04:39 PM   #96
#HTownTakeover #YWCF

coogrfan's Arena

OVR: 27

An excellent article from last season that discusses the differences between Leach's version of the Air Raid and the one that Dana Holgorsen ran at UH (and will presumably be running at Okie State this year).

http://www.everydayshouldbesaturday....tontexas-tech/

Last edited by coogrfan; 07-31-2010 at 04:45 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »