Home

Why does my team still suck?

This is a discussion on Why does my team still suck? within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-25-2010, 09:39 PM   #1
Rookie

talksnmaths's Arena

OVR: 1
Why does my team still suck?

I am 5 years into a dynasty with Purdue, and despite being a 6 star program for two seasons now and having the 4th ranked recruiting class last year, my team still stinks. My overall rating is a B- and has been all 5 years. I'm getting tired of getting my butt kicked in a BCS bowl every year. Has anyone else had this experience and how many years does it take before you can actually develop players into 90 overall and higher? Also, has anyone ever had a player develop beyond "moderate" in a season? I haven't yet. Also, some positions are just downright awful for every team. No one has a decent kicker anymore. Everyone is always going for it on 4th and long from the 30 in the first quarter because the kickers can't hit field goals. I played in 8 games last year where the opposing team missed at least one PAT attempt. I thought the player progression and initial rating issues had been fixed. I drafted the #2 overall RB this year, a 5 star prospect and he's a 74. If he gains about 3 pts a year which seems to be the norm for me he'll never get past the mid 80's. *sigh*
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-25-2010, 09:57 PM   #2
Rookie

hawkeyebred2332's Arena

OVR: 2
Re: Why does my team still suck?

Talent evaluation. Just because a guy is a 5* does not mean he's coming in at an 80 overall and walking out a 99.

Rather than look at his star rating, look at his letter grades in all the attributes. You need to really look at guys' abilities to recruit the right guys (or just the best guys in this case).
Old 09-25-2010, 10:02 PM   #3
ND

NDAlum's Arena

OVR: 29

Honestly I don't look at overall that much, I look at the ratings. Also as the previous poster stated, don't look at the caliber to do your recruiting. You have to look at attributes.

My starting MLB is a 3* with great tackle and pursuit. He came in as a 75 overall and is a sure tackler, which is huge for me.

You just have to look for the skills that fit in with your style of play. I hope they expand on this next year.

Atlanta Braves Fantasy Draft Franchise | Google Docs History
NL East Champs 5x | WS Champion 1x (2020)
Old 09-25-2010, 10:02 PM   #4
MVP

jbrew2411's Arena

OVR: 13

Welcome to NCAA 11. I have had a few of my player progress 5-6 points more then once. At least have one a season. How is you facility rating? Mine is a A+. With EA trying a new rating system to lower the overall of players has left us with some really bad players but also with some real good players. The kickers and punters are bad. I'm 4 years in and have walk-ons at both kicker and punter at Notre Dame while Ohio State has signed the best kicker and punter the last 3 years and all are still on the roster. I can't even get a kicker or punter to come to my school. I have the 3rd patch and 3rd tuner set and have all but given up on this game. I have landed top 5 classes every year but without a kicking game I can't do anything. I have lost the BCS title the past 2 years due to punting the ball 30 yards and missing 20 yd field goals.
Old 09-25-2010, 10:13 PM   #5
Midtable shrug

NoDakHusker's Arena

OVR: 47

Overall ratings and * calibers aren't dominant factors in how well players can play. I've got a freshman HB who was 2* coming in at 62 overall but is outstanding, 4.8 ypc on about 17-20 carries per game...not bad at all for a freshman.

Like others have said, look at the attributes of the player, because star ratings can be deceiving sometimes. Getting a 5* recruit just for the sake of getting a 5* is not a good way to go about recruiting.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-25-2010, 10:16 PM   #6
Rookie

talksnmaths's Arena

My facility rating is an A. Even being a 6 star school now, I really don't get too many players who have me in their top 3 to start the season. So, I don't get to do much talent evaluation. I look at the positions I need to fill and try to find the players that are interested in my school. I took the 5* RB because he had me at #1 and it ended up being an instant sign on an offer of scholarship. It has been my experience that if they aren't in my top 3 to start out, it's probably going to take so much of an effort to sign them that I'll lose out in the overall recruiting process. I'm with jbrew on this. For two straight years, there wasn't a single kicker that had me in their top 10. I eventually ended up drafting a punter and changing his position. FBs and TEs are scarce as all get out as well. I rarely get any CBs that have interest in my team. DEs and WRs are beating my door down every season.
Old 09-25-2010, 10:25 PM   #7
Rookie

talksnmaths's Arena

I guess my source of frustration is that I've gotten my butt handed to me in back to back BCS championship games because my OL got manhandled. The only reasoning I can come up with for why this happens is because the computer sees my team as being at a severe disadvantage since I'm a B- and my opposition is an A or A+. It sucks when you've essentially played the better game, but you lose because once the second half hits your players can't hold on to the football. The sheer number of fumbles returned for a touchdown against me in both games was beyond unreal. So, my thinking is that if my team wasn't rated so poorly, I wouldn't get jipped by the game when playing against other 6* teams.

Last edited by talksnmaths; 09-25-2010 at 10:28 PM.
Old 09-25-2010, 10:29 PM   #8
ND

NDAlum's Arena

OVR: 29

Here's the key:

After 3 weeks of recruiting go back through the players and see who doesn't have any offers and you're in their top 10 (green dot).

Then start to recruit them against no competition. You'll get some 4* & plenty of 3*'s this way.

I don't think any 5*'s go ignored.

I am going to build depth on my team using this strategy.

Atlanta Braves Fantasy Draft Franchise | Google Docs History
NL East Champs 5x | WS Champion 1x (2020)

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »