Home

Interesting note on Wildcat formations

This is a discussion on Interesting note on Wildcat formations within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 11-02-2010, 08:26 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 0
Interesting note on Wildcat formations

I was playing an offline Dynasty where I had recruited a running back with limited throwing abilities. I had just taken the lead against Missouri and I(Ark St using TCU's playbook) was trying to run the clock out. Decided to run a couple of Wild Frog plays. Here's what I noticed:

When the playclock is at 2-4 seconds, the RB coming in on the Jet sweep(whether it be the actual Jet sweep or just the option/fakes) doesn't complete his motion and the ball is snapped. When this happens, you don't have the slow mesh on the handoff/fake handoff. You actually get a pretty good Wildcat play in which your ballcarrier can get up field fast. If anyone else wants to try this out and let me know how it works(especially in other playbooks), I'd be very thankful and interested. My wife is already huffing and puffing, so I have to quit for the night.

P.S. It may be obvious, but this only works on Jet sweeps or the plays with the jet sweep motion.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-02-2010, 08:45 PM   #2
Pro

crowhop's Arena

OVR: 4
Re: Interesting note on Wildcat formations

Works well if they are in man and the DB is trailing the RB in motion...if he doesn't go in motion, he will block that Corner...sometimes sealing that edge for a long run.
Old 11-03-2010, 07:59 AM   #3
Rookie

lccowboys's Arena

OVR: 3
I remember this happening to me but i dont remember how, guess im going to have to try it out
Old 11-03-2010, 11:16 AM   #4
MVP

jello1717's Arena

OVR: 16

This happens for all plays with auto motion where he doesn't have enough time to complete his auto motion before the play clock runs out. SG running plays like power and zone work well like this too.
College #1: Michigan Wolverines
College #2: Michigan State Spartans (my alma mater)
College #3: North Carolina Tar Heels
NHL: Detroit Redwings
Old 11-03-2010, 04:46 PM   #5
Rookie

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jello1717
This happens for all plays with auto motion where he doesn't have enough time to complete his auto motion before the play clock runs out. SG running plays like power and zone work well like this too.
yep. Never thought about it though in regards to the wildcat formation.

This is good cause I liek the wildcat but I can never run out of it. Even with a run heavy blocking line that doesnt have a starter under 85, I cannot get more then a few yards out of the wildcat.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-03-2010, 05:42 PM   #6
MVP

jello1717's Arena

OVR: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeti_2009
yep. Never thought about it though in regards to the wildcat formation.

This is good cause I liek the wildcat but I can never run out of it. Even with a run heavy blocking line that doesnt have a starter under 85, I cannot get more then a few yards out of the wildcat.
The counter jet (or whatever it's called) and especially the jet sweep (or maybe it's still called WR motion option) are money plays. The motion option is only in the wildcat spread (Miss. St., Auburn, Tulsa) but the jet counter is probably in most wildcat packages.

EDIT:
This is with running them how they're supposed to be run with the motion guy completing his motion.
College #1: Michigan Wolverines
College #2: Michigan State Spartans (my alma mater)
College #3: North Carolina Tar Heels
NHL: Detroit Redwings

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »