Home

Judge Nixes NCAA Players Antitrust Claims -- Case Not Over...Yet

This is a discussion on Judge Nixes NCAA Players Antitrust Claims -- Case Not Over...Yet within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-07-2011, 05:31 PM   #73
Rookie

kevj349's Arena

OVR: 4
Re: Judge Nixes NCAA Players Antitrust Claims -- Case Not Over...Yet

You really don't think that the player has the likeness of the real life person? You have to be blind not to think it represents them. When I was playing NCAA after an OSU game my girlfriend walked in, who mind you knows nothing about football, and mentioned how she didn't like Pryor and Boom, who I was playing with. The fact is you don't recognize a player by his stats and face. When they are playing on Saturday do you see their faces? No you see the number, position, and team. Not arguing either way, but really? You don't see the likeness?
Old 05-07-2011, 08:39 PM   #74
MVP

Kaiser Wilhelm's Arena

OVR: 8

Quick qestion to everyone debating here...If you were given the opportunity to play a collegiate sport you love and get a full ride to go to that school, would you turn it down?

Quite frankly if I had a college asking me to play baseball for them and in return they would pay for my college education, you can bet your backside I would jump on it.

I have a feeling the people sueing (not positive) are the kids that were not good enough to cut it in the pros, and had all their eggs in that one basket. I would like to know what this Nebraska QB's college degree is in as well as his major.

Edit: I am also willing to bet a good chunk of these kids would not get into the colleges they do soley based on their academics and citizenship. Not trying to steriotype college athletes but I get the feeling some of them are not the brightest people in the box.

Also lets look at basketball players. Craig Forth went to my high school and is now an elementary school teacher in my district. Now I'm not saying he was an amazing money making athlete, but he was part of the Syracuse Nat. Title team, and he managed to get an education.

Side not, can you imagine a 7 foot tall teacher as a first grader? DANG!
If anybody is interested in a "spiritual successor to the socom franchise, check out this thread.

Last edited by Kaiser Wilhelm; 05-07-2011 at 08:44 PM.
Old 05-07-2011, 08:56 PM   #75
Banned

OVR: 32

I'd want to see the details outlined in a scholarship that these kids sign.

If they sign and the details talk about likeness, and how the university can used said likeness, then this debate is over. Done. Dead.

If you read the contract, you saw that. You still signed your name. Don't expect to be paid. It's about being responsible and knowing what you're signing and what you're agreeing to.

These kids have no case if that's the reality.

If it's not in the scholarship contact/letter of intent, then I can see the problem.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-09-2011, 08:11 PM   #76
MVP

poopoop's Arena

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apostle
Do some people just love to debate? Love to be different? What's the deal?

For the ones siding with the Sam Keller's of the world, are you going to be satisfied with no college football game, or a game that is comprised of completely random players?

Just wondering what the line of thinking is here.
We have to be careful and avoid being selfish and trying to justify things just based on what we want. This whole thing is about selfishness and greed on both sides, why add to it?

Would I be satisfied with no football game? No.
Would I be satisfied with a game of completely random players? Depends.

Is any of this relevant to whether or not it's fair for game companies and the NCAA to profit off through using a player's likeness in a video game? Nah.

We can play dumb and try to pretend the players in the game aren't built to match real life players. Or make fun of Sam Keller, his career or call him greedy. We can even cling to things like "but but they signed something saying the school could use their likeness!" It's still wrong from a fairness standpoint, we'll see how it plays out from a legal one.
Old 05-10-2011, 02:18 PM   #77
Hall Of Fame

ODogg's Arena

OVR: 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by poopoop
We have to be careful and avoid being selfish and trying to justify things just based on what we want. This whole thing is about selfishness and greed on both sides, why add to it?

Would I be satisfied with no football game? No.
Would I be satisfied with a game of completely random players? Depends.

Is any of this relevant to whether or not it's fair for game companies and the NCAA to profit off through using a player's likeness in a video game? Nah.

We can play dumb and try to pretend the players in the game aren't built to match real life players. Or make fun of Sam Keller, his career or call him greedy. We can even cling to things like "but but they signed something saying the school could use their likeness!" It's still wrong from a fairness standpoint, we'll see how it plays out from a legal one.
Your opinion, I see absolutely nothing wrong with it from a fairness standpoint..

"It's a hell of a thing, killing a man. Take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna have."

-William Munny- Unforgiven
Old 05-10-2011, 07:19 PM   #78
Pro

OVR: 3

I didnt buy NCAA 06 because of the back up QB behind Rudy Carpenter on ASU (Sam Keller.) Nor did I purchase Coach K basketball back in the day for Ed O'Bannon. And I am pretty sure most purchasers of the NCAA title arent buying it for a specific player either. We purchase it as a representation of the college sport. You dont see any lawsuits against ESPN for advertising an upcomming game using an actual photo or video AND naming the star atheletes. Maybe they could sue for a piece of the advertising revenue. Maybe ESPN can sue the players for lost ratings during a blowout. Judas Priest!
Old 11-09-2013, 09:35 PM   #79
Rookie

VonRye's Arena

OVR: 8

O'Bannon case judge denies players past damages

A federal judge will allow college football and basketball players from major programs to challenge NCAA rules prohibiting compensation beyond the value of their athletic scholarships, but denied them from pursuing billions of dollars in past revenues.

In her report, Wilken wrote that the players' lawyers failed to provide a strong enough way of determining which members: were in the class; EA Sports built avatars for in its video games; appeared on game rosters in televised games.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/obannon...86--ncaaf.html
Old 11-10-2013, 12:03 AM   #80
Pro

mattynokes's Arena

OVR: 16

Without the NCAA, E!SPN, etc... Tim Tebow goes the Eric Crouch route instead of being a 1st round pick and making a good deal of money before the NFL is willing to admit Tebow is an overhyped Eric Crouch.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »