Home

The Option Thread: Understanding reads, help and discussion

This is a discussion on The Option Thread: Understanding reads, help and discussion within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-07-2011, 09:41 AM   #9
Rookie

jjkwik's Arena

OVR: 2
Re: The Option Thread: Understanding reads, help and discussion

I have also done a few offline dynasties with both Navy and GT and I have never really had a problem with DT's blowing up my plays or anything. I do agree with the OP though that it does take time to fully understand the triple option and the reason that most people say the option is broken is because they just havent taken the time to figure it out.

Once you have it down though, its a hard offense to beat.
Old 07-07-2011, 09:56 AM   #10
Rookie

OVR: 0

I've been playing as Oregon in the Demo a lot so that I can get a feel for the option game. I have to say that sometimes the option works like a charm (2 60yd TD runs by QB) and sometimes it doesn't work at all. Sometimes it's the formation that makes a difference. In the games where the read option didn't work, the wild duck formation worked beautifully. I haven't had much success with the triple option out of the shotgun though. the read option part just takes too long and the QB gets hit before he has a chance to pitch.

I think the biggest thing is going to be to have a variety of formations and types of option plays so that when one isn't working, another should be. It will probably also help in game to do hurry up and the audible to different formations so that when the defense stacks the box, you can audible to shotgun and pass from there.
Old 07-07-2011, 10:31 AM   #11
Banned

jarv's Arena

OVR: 1
So I guess from a few posts in here that the option can be improved to be more realistic with sliders? Who wants to go through the process of helping me create some option sliders? Hopefully it can be done without breaking the pass rush.

Last edited by jarv; 07-07-2011 at 10:34 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-07-2011, 11:00 AM   #12
Rookie

RamblinWreck21's Arena

OVR: 5

I've had plenty of success with GT and the option( With GT being my team, I play with them alot and get alot of practice). That said success as a player does not equal success for the CPU(which is the biggest problem), nor does success for myself equal a realistic interpretation of the offense. I feel if they add things in like cut blocks and some sort of option D' awareness, to add some deception, among other realistic qualities to the offense, the CPU would be better at running it AND it would be a more realistic interpetation of it for those who play with it. I've had success with it, but its not the same offense I see every Saturday morning in the fall when I drive down to Atlanta. That said, the biggest problem is the lack of ability to run the Triple Option on the CPU's side. I've lost one game to a CPU triple option team and it because they, for whatever reason, passed a ton and caught me off guard every time and their D was stifling, so I lost 21-14. The triple Option ran CPU offense scored 14 of their 21 points. The point is, the CPU can't run the offense and that is frustrating. As a Human player, it is very possible to be successful with the offense.
Old 07-07-2011, 11:31 AM   #13
Rookie

guitarchitect7's Arena

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjkwik
I have also done a few offline dynasties with both Navy and GT and I have never really had a problem with DT's blowing up my plays or anything. I do agree with the OP though that it does take time to fully understand the triple option and the reason that most people say the option is broken is because they just havent taken the time to figure it out.

Once you have it down though, its a hard offense to beat.
I'm only quoting as it's good to see the new I-State Logo being used. Looks like I need to switch mine up.

I think a lot of people talk about the splits as well. In the game, the line is split no different than any other team, and with the blocking scheme, this isn't accurate. I'm hoping this gets addressed come next year. They're tweaking gameplay, well this is a big one.
MLB: Chicago Cubs
NCAA: Iowa State Cyclones

Old 07-07-2011, 11:43 AM   #14
A DB'S SWAG

avwhitechic's Arena

OVR: 2

Man this has got to be one of the most frustrating things with EA's ncaa product
how do u have a COLLEGE football game and the OPTION not work..Cmon People we talking about the "OPTION" in my A.I. voice
Old 07-07-2011, 11:47 AM   #15
MVP

prowler's Arena

OVR: 11

I thought the issue was the CPU's inability to run the option.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-07-2011, 01:49 PM   #16
Rookie

guitarchitect7's Arena

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by prowler
I thought the issue was the CPU's inability to run the option.
But there's reasons for that. The CPU AI while running/executing, blocking, defensive AI, etc.
MLB: Chicago Cubs
NCAA: Iowa State Cyclones

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »