Home

Is this cheese or am i just to much a sim player

This is a discussion on Is this cheese or am i just to much a sim player within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-30-2011, 11:31 PM   #25
MVP

OVR: 15
Re: Is this cheese or am i just to much a sim player

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagicMan1315
Provide a link if you could please.

And as for the A-11, and the guy above me, now that I have thought about it... It is possible. send 11 players out. And have 6 players be declared as eligible receivers.. But like only have 3 actual linemen and have like 4 tight ends but two of them are actually eligible.. I know in Texas, the ref announces it on the speaker... and so.. its up to the defense to remember which player he said was eligible and which one wasn't.

But I am not too sure if thats allowed in the rules or not.
You STILL have to put 7 men on the line of scrimmage and 4 men behind it, and the eligible receivers are STILL the 4 receivers behind the line of scrimmages and each guy on the end of the line for the guys on the line of scrimmage.

If your center goes to the referee and tells him he's coming in as an eligible receiver, then lines up on the ball in the center of a standard looking line (with the guards and tackles to either side of him, therefore making him NOT on the end of the line), and he runs downfield, the offense will be penalized. I think it's most likely illegal receiver downfield, but it may be illegal formation.

Either way, the point is that whether or not you tell the referee you're eligible doesn't matter (except in the NFL). Whether or not you are eligible is based on pretty clear rules that are easy to understand.

The ONLY reason it is any different in the NFL is because there is a strict numbering system (to make it easier for the refs to keep track of who is and isn't an eligible receiver). However, an offense my have a set in which a guy with the number of an offensive linemen (ineligible receiver) is lining up as a receiver. NFL rules dictate that this player MUST let the officials know he is lining up as an NFL receiver. College and high school players tend to do the same (and it's announced on the PA, etc), but it's not required.

And as I said, no matter what anyone tells the referee, who is and isn't an eligible receiver is 100% based on how the offense is lined up when the ball is snapped.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-30-2011, 11:40 PM   #26
Rookie

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pogo27
I don't know if this is high school football you're talking about or what, and if it is, I'd be interested in knowing what state you're talking about...

But in college and NFL (as well as high school football here in Arkansas, as far as I know), eligible receivers are clearly defined. They're the 4 players behind the line of scrimmage plus the 2 players on either end of the line of scrimmage.

If a team doesn't have 7 players on the line and 4 players behind, it's a penalty for "Illegal Formation." If one of the 5 players on the line and not on the ends is across the line of scrimmage when a forward pass is thrown, it's a penalty for "Illegal Receiver Downfield" (or however they word it).

The only rule change from college to NFL is that the jersey numbering system is very specific, making it easier for officials to determine who is and isn't an eligible receiver (as offensive linemen are required to wear 50-79, and no other offensive player may select these numbers--and only linebackers and DLine can take numbers 50-59).

If an NFL team comes out in an unbalanced formation leaving the tackle at the end of the line (and therefore an eligible receiver), he has to tell the referee that he is an eligible receiver. Same goes for if there's a player from the defense in as a receiver (the Patriots have done this with LBs coming in as TE, Chiefs as well), as they're often wearing offensive linemen numbers.
Basically, it took advantage of HS rules saying that in a kicking formation (player receiving snap is 7 yards behind the center) there were no number restrictions. So they had all kinds of numbers out there and put players in different spots to confuse the defense. They have the required amount on the line and behind it. The ineligible players would take laterals or handoffs, and throw the ball as well. They would also put 2 QBs in the backfield sometimes. Think of it as the spread on steroids.

The "original" offense was made illegal by putting in a rule that said that you always had to adhere to number restrictions, so linemen had to wear linemen numbers and made it more obvious who was an eligible receiver. But those guys continue to run it, just with the right numbers now.
Old 07-31-2011, 12:54 AM   #27
Rookie

Its cheese bro.

But with that said why did you have a 4-3 against 3wr's?

"I study film like a coach and listen like a rookie"

---Ray Lewis
Old 07-31-2011, 01:18 AM   #28
Rookie

Here is a link to the A-11 offense

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UJtLZvlU8mo

But i forgot about the numbers thing. That was one of the deal breakers. In college and NFL you have number distinctions for linemen and receivers. In high school there is no designation for any positions. Lineman could wear #2 and a receiver #67.
Old 07-31-2011, 01:19 AM   #29
MVP

OVR: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacketit10
Basically, it took advantage of HS rules saying that in a kicking formation (player receiving snap is 7 yards behind the center) there were no number restrictions. So they had all kinds of numbers out there and put players in different spots to confuse the defense. They have the required amount on the line and behind it. The ineligible players would take laterals or handoffs, and throw the ball as well. They would also put 2 QBs in the backfield sometimes. Think of it as the spread on steroids.

The "original" offense was made illegal by putting in a rule that said that you always had to adhere to number restrictions, so linemen had to wear linemen numbers and made it more obvious who was an eligible receiver. But those guys continue to run it, just with the right numbers now.
Okay... that's fine, but... there's no numbering rules for college football...
Old 07-31-2011, 01:22 AM   #30
Faceuary!

N51_rob's Arena

OVR: 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burner_22
Its cheese bro.

If your OLB(s) are athletic enough, you can run a 4-3 or even 3-4 against 3 WR and have lots of success. Depending on what you are doing cover 3 out of the 4-3 is a great defense against 3 WR, especially if you have a defensive line that can get pressure. You assume the TE or RB or (or both) are going out in the route, so basic 4-3 cover 3 gives that QB small windows that close quickly, if he has to hold the ball or isn't good at going through his progressions you can really disrupt the offense with that.

The matchup presents challenges, but it's not impossible to stop 3-wide with a 4-3. IF it happened to me I might be caught off guard at first, but if you (not you per se but in general) haven't atleast figured something out by the 3rd or 4th quarter to counter the things he is doing that is a bigger problem.

Twitch

Finally Access to Coaches Tape! Coaches Film Analysis

2 Minute Warning PS4 Madden 18 Franchise
Washington Redskins (0-0) Last Game: N/A
Year 1:
Old 07-31-2011, 01:40 AM   #31
Orange and Blue!

Broncos86's Arena

OVR: 31

No offense to anyone, but this sounds like some really nitpicky stuff. For starters, not everyone here is "sim." Secondly, "sim" is a relative term. Third, there are far greater things to call a guy out on. It's one thing to say "well, okay, meh" it's another to actually want to call a guy out for it.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-31-2011, 03:24 AM   #32
Rookie

Blackout863's Arena

OVR: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burner_22
Its cheese bro.

i was mixing up my coverages. it wasnt just 3 wide, it was every play that he had that was successful that gained pretty much 5 to 7 yds, or was a play where he had a guy open and missed him he would go no huddle and try to see if it worked. im not whining honestly its a video game and didnt intend for this much uproar. i just feel like thats unrealistic in many ways. no coach in the history of football that is successful does this and honestly even if you could find some they are in a vast minority. im done with the situation, as far as im concerned it was cheese and if the mods wanna lock this thread so be it.

PSN - MrHeavyInTheGame

"For the good, they fold, but for us the GREAT… WE FOCUS and get our job done" - Michael Irvin aka The Playmaker

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »