Home

Slot WR's and TE's Dominate

This is a discussion on Slot WR's and TE's Dominate within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-06-2011, 01:18 AM   #1
Pro

TeddyKGB's Arena

OVR: 4
Slot WR's and TE's Dominate

No matter what team I play as, no matter what the players' ratings, I always end up with more receptions and yardage with my slot WR's and TE's. I can have a 90-rated WR lining up on the outside, but my slot WR with the 75-rating will post much better numbers with regularity - usually as my third option on pass plays. It's quite annoying that the AI expends so much energy locking up my outside WR's with press coverage and zones while they leave the slot guys and TE's free to run roughshod over the defense. Now I have no problem taking what the D gives me, but it's kinda lame when the D gives you the same thing every single game. Ho-hum, another 10-catch, 150-yard game for my TE. But he's the open guy and my two stud outside WR's are being totally blanketed. Am I not supposed to pass to him?

Anyone else frustrated with this? So far the only way I've found to consistently get the ball to my outside WR's is to run slants over-and-over or the odd bubble screen.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-06-2011, 01:21 AM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 1
Re: Slot WR's and TE's Dominate

Have you seen most of the DB coverage skills in this game? Most DB starters have man and zone coverage in the 90's along with speed and acceleration around the 90's. That leads to outside receivers getting locked down too much.
Old 08-06-2011, 02:10 AM   #3
Rookie

Tha_BlacKnight's Arena

OVR: 8

Is it cheese to play your best receiver in the slot or the number 3 spot in the depth chart? Thats how I typically adjust my rec corp. Especially in my chicago bears franchises. I usually put Devin Hester in the 3rd spot.

I figure the carolina panthers put Steve Smith in the slot in real life...

6'8 220 Point Guard Ovr rating 62
College: The Citadel 2009-12

Career PPG 12.4, RPG 6.9, APG 11.2 (1521 asts)
89 career dbl dbls, 21 career triple doubles

4X All-Conf, 10-11 Conf POY, 08-09 Conf Frosh of the year, Frosh All Conf
Old 08-06-2011, 05:26 AM   #4
Rookie

OVR: 6

Yeah, I have known this for years.
When I used to play madden online.
I would use my team, the giants and Steve Smith was either a rookie or second year player, and he would have amazing numbers, like 15 catches for 150 yards.
Also Kevin Boss even though he is just an average tight end would have like 10 catches and 100 yard.
Old 08-06-2011, 06:59 AM   #5
Rookie

OVR: 2

In certain formations with certain plays, I seem to be able to get the ball to my slot receiver or tight end a little easier, but I wouldn't say the game forces me to throw to those guys. My WR1 consistently leads my team in catches and yards. If anything, my WR3 or WR4 might lead my team in yards per catch.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-06-2011, 07:33 AM   #6
Pro

carnalnirvana's Arena

OVR: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeddyKGB
No matter what team I play as, no matter what the players' ratings, I always end up with more receptions and yardage with my slot WR's and TE's. I can have a 90-rated WR lining up on the outside, but my slot WR with the 75-rating will post much better numbers with regularity - usually as my third option on pass plays. It's quite annoying that the AI expends so much energy locking up my outside WR's with press coverage and zones while they leave the slot guys and TE's free to run roughshod over the defense. Now I have no problem taking what the D gives me, but it's kinda lame when the D gives you the same thing every single game. Ho-hum, another 10-catch, 150-yard game for my TE. But he's the open guy and my two stud outside WR's are being totally blanketed. Am I not supposed to pass to him?

Anyone else frustrated with this? So far the only way I've found to consistently get the ball to my outside WR's is to run slants over-and-over or the odd bubble screen.
yeah its been this way for years, you will have to work for yds with your stars.

and it goes back to the angular cuts the slot guys make that always seem to GUARANTEE they beat the DB ex posts/drags and most in routes....

i dont think is has anything to do with the ability of the DB, put the starters as the 3rd and 4th DB and they will get beaten the same way, the outside WR rarely have enough space on the outside as the slot guys enjoy with the middle of the field. its how the game is built....

#18 greatest EVA....
Old 08-06-2011, 08:44 AM   #7
Rookie

cOWASs68's Arena

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tha_BlacKnight
Is it cheese to play your best receiver in the slot or the number 3 spot in the depth chart? Thats how I typically adjust my rec corp. Especially in my chicago bears franchises. I usually put Devin Hester in the 3rd spot.

I figure the carolina panthers put Steve Smith in the slot in real life...
Everyone's going to have a different opinion on this (as some people thing running 5 WR every time is cheese...even for teams like Hawaii), but I don't think that it is. PLUS I feel like in previous games it could be exploited more than it can be in '12. Sometimes I switch the formation subs up to get the better matchup, which means sometimes my #1 WR is in the slot...but usually my teams are so bad and the teams I'm playing are so good that the LB can still cover him pretty adequately with zone help over the top. I love that the TE can break free sometimes all by himself because the D is so worried about the 3 other WR's on routes...my stats have never been BEEFED because of it either so for me it's not cheese or exploiting anything the computer can't handle.
Old 08-06-2011, 09:32 AM   #8
Rookie

OVR: 4

yup, and its worse in this game than in madden 11, imo. in madden my #1 WR (if he was good) would lead the team then #2 and #3 WR would be close in numbers, one could edge the other and the TE might have a great year but not a 1000 yard season very often or anything. in this game the DBs totally lock down the outside WR unless you run a drag or a slant...if you run a different route the DB is almost always in a position to break up the play or make a pick. doesnt seem like you can get the WR to really fight for the ball or put him in position to have an advantage.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »