Home

Gameplay AI issues that need to be tuned with video proof

This is a discussion on Gameplay AI issues that need to be tuned with video proof within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-23-2011, 03:31 AM   #25
Live your life

Gotmadskillzson's Arena

OVR: 49
Re: Gameplay AI issues that need to be tuned with video proof

Yeah they need to sit down and just play coach mode with a big notebook and just write down every thing that doesn't work correctly and what the CPU AI don't do that they should be doing.

They need to think more on the lines of let's program the CPU AI to do things the same way a human would. I mean every other sports game has fake passes except for Madden and NCAA.

For every situation, they should program a branch system of probability of what possible ways they should handle the situation.

Situation 1: Faced with 8 men in the box.

A) If it is a passing play hot route a WR or audible to a different play

B) Tell the OL to max protect and leave a HB in the backfield to block

Situation 2: Receiving constant pressure up the middle.

A) Call more shotgun plays

B) Roll out to the left or right

C) Max protect the middle of the OL

D) Call a slant route exploiting the middle of the field where the linebacker just blitzed from

E) Run a screen play, either HB, TE or WR

Situation 3: 1 on 1 situation

A) Spin to the outside or inside

B) Juke to the outside or inside

C) If bigger then the tackler, lower your shoulder

D) If you have high acceleration and good speed, bounce it to the outside OR cut clear across the field to where there is daylight

Situation 4: Pass thrown to you with a defender right next to you

A) Jump up for the ball

B) Push off

C) Swat it down to prevent the DB from catching it

Situation 5: Passing plays

A) Look for your primary WR

B) Look for option 2

C) Pump fake to free up a WR

D) Tuck the ball and scramble

E) Roll out try to buy your WR sometime to get open

I could go on and on, but you guys get the point.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-23-2011, 04:27 AM   #26
Pro

carnalnirvana's Arena

OVR: 21

i think it comes down to the " perfect" man defense user teams play. its frustrating to watch how WR's cant beat corners and turn them at the LOS.

fix DB footwork and the passing game gets upgraded automatically. there are no truly open players in man cov if the DB has decent ratings..... in zone i see the cpu make great throws,in man the DB magically gets to everything.

the bat downs needs to go, its cheap programing, we need breakups, mis catches/ strips

if i could i would eliminate all jumping DB knockdown animations because most of them IMO are unrealistic and broken. for too long user and cpu have benefited from cheap tactics such as C- defenses getting knockdowns with DB's trailing 5yds behind a WR

#18 greatest EVA....
Old 10-23-2011, 04:28 AM   #27
Live your life

Gotmadskillzson's Arena

OVR: 49

In this video above you see LSU QB Lee just standing in the pocket instead of rolling out. This would be a perfect situation of when a QB should roll out to buy time. Instead he just steps forward and back, oblivious to his surrounds and end up getting sacked.

NCAA Football 12 Photo
In this photo is a pefect example of a 1 on 1 situation and what a ball carrier should do. As you can see in the picture that is Dyer of Auburn, a pretty fast guy with one guy directly in front of him and another guy a good 10 yards away.
You can also see the wide open field between him and the sideline to his right. In this situation the RB has a few options:
1. Juke to the right and run up the sideline
2. Spin to the right and run up the sideline
3. Juke left to make the 1st guy miss and juke right to make the second defender miss that is 10 yards down the field.
Guess what this RB does......He runs directly into the defender in a straight line and end up getting dropped right there. This happens way too much in NCAA 12 and needs to be tuned. Ball carriers shouldn't be trying to bull doze defenders over when they have all that wide open field to the left and right of them.
Old 10-23-2011, 05:04 AM   #28
Pro

DreadedSteeler's Arena

OVR: 8

Great thread, I would think a lot of these issues would be fairly easy fixes, but maybe not since they've been there for years. I know it annoys me how difficult it is to balance pressure on the QB with the amount of sacks since so many are the result of the QB running directly into a D-Lineman... Very annoying.

Also just played the Rose Bowl in coach mode and called a WR jet sweep. The play was wide open and if the WR turns up field after clearing the RT, its an easy TD as there is absolutely nobody there. Instead the WR keeps running toward the sideline as the playart showed and directly into the blocked CB who was the only defender on that side of the field. Hopefully EA is watching this thread.
Old 10-23-2011, 08:40 AM   #29
All Star

LionsFanNJ's Arena

OVR: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by carnalnirvana
i would eliminate all jumping DB knockdown animations because most of them IMO are unrealistic and broken. for too long user and cpu have benefited from cheap tactics such as C- defenses getting knockdowns with DB's trailing 5yds behind a WR
MY GOD THIS. Its absolutely infuriating you have a WR beat the CB off the line, have a good 5 yard lead....to have the pass thrown short, the Db do some crazy running leap, be intercepted, and have the announcers say something like "he wasn't open should have went somewhere else"......what? I know its not an AI thing though so this is for another thread
Old 10-23-2011, 09:33 PM   #30
Hall Of Fame

illwill10's Arena

OVR: 31

I agree that CPU Ball Handlers have tunnel Vision. They only use special moves, rarely, when they are within 2 yards from a defender. You will never see the big plays you see in football because CPU never cut across the field. I would like to see the 90+ BCV guys cut across the field more to gain more yards and make smarter decisions in the open field.
Old 10-23-2011, 09:40 PM   #31
Hall Of Fame

illwill10's Arena

OVR: 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by LionsFanNJ
MY GOD THIS. Its absolutely infuriating you have a WR beat the CB off the line, have a good 5 yard lead....to have the pass thrown short, the Db do some crazy running leap, be intercepted, and have the announcers say something like "he wasn't open should have went somewhere else"......what? I know its not an AI thing though so this is for another thread
They should bring back the Knockdown slider. That would reduce the amount of tipped passes. I hate when I have a man open and defense does a impossible swats/ints. Higher Trajectory/aching passes would also help it too.
I would also like them to add the Pass And Rush Reactions sliders form Madden
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-23-2011, 10:05 PM   #32
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by illwill10
They should bring back the Knockdown slider. That would reduce the amount of tipped passes. I hate when I have a man open and defense does a impossible swats/ints. Higher Trajectory/aching passes would also help it too.
I would also like them to add the Pass And Rush Reactions sliders form Madden
Yeah they should, but an EA developer himself thought the Knockdown slider only affected defensive linemen even though we knew differently.

Moral of the story, EA sports doesn't even really know what the sliders actually do.

I am convinced that they only test on All-Pro and make sure its good enough. Evidence of this is on Heisman FG kickers routinely try FG's that are too long to make. If they even looked at Heisman, it would only take them 1 game to realize that something is wrong there.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »