Home

Which to Buy? NCAA 07 or NCAA 08? (for PS2)

This is a discussion on Which to Buy? NCAA 07 or NCAA 08? (for PS2) within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?
View Poll Results: Based on my criteria, which game should I buy?
NCAA 2007 for PS2 24 70.59%
NCAA 2008 for PS2 10 29.41%
Voters: 34. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-11-2011, 10:31 AM   #1
Pro

J Masta J's Arena

OVR: 9
Which to Buy? NCAA 07 or NCAA 08? (for PS2)

OK, this is pretty straight forward. I'm looking to buy an NCAA title for the PS2. I had NCAA 2007 a few years back and I loved it. Absolutely fantastic game. But I've read some things online that seem to indicate NCAA 2008 included some additions to dynasty mode that make the experience a little deeper, although not everyone was sold on them. Basically, I'm wondering which game you guys think I should buy. Here are my criteria:

Dynasty
Definitely the most important aspect. Deep and challenging please.

Create-a-Team
I will create the Alaska Malamutes and replace Temple, so this is actually a pretty critical feature for me. As long as it's as good as it was in 2007, I'll be fine.

Gameplay
I had no problem with NCAA 2007's gameplay. In fact, best football gameplay I've ever experienced IMO. If you think 2008 is demonstrably better, I'd like to hear why.

OK, please vote! Thanks guys!

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-11-2011, 10:58 AM   #2
Pro

OVR: 5
Re: Which to Buy? NCAA 07 or NCAA 08? (for PS2)

iirc 08 had the bad pursuit angles? otoh 07 had the overpowered momentum and jump the snap feature right? 08 is more polished, i don't think there are huge improvements though. In any case 08 is dirt cheap so it couldn't hurt to try.
Old 12-11-2011, 11:47 AM   #3
Banned

OVR: 0

06 with Desmond Howard on the cover. One of the best times for College Football in recent history. You've got really good USC, Texas, Michigan, OSU, and Notre Dame teams.
Old 12-11-2011, 02:33 PM   #4
MVP

BlastX21's Arena

OVR: 16

NCAA 08 is easily the worst sports game I have ever played. You cannot go a single game without at least 3 turnovers. Most games, both teams will combine for at least 5. Seriously, turnovers are all over the place in that game. Psychic DB's are an even bigger problem in that game than in this one.

The problem we have on linebacker swats this year isn't due to their super jumping. LB's do not jump anymore than 2 feet in the air. The problem is the passing trajectory being so low that its easy for them to reach the ball. Well in 08, the trajectory is fine, except that the LB's really do jump 5 feet. Making for some extremely frustrating moments.

Fumbles are also extremely common. You'll average about 2 a game if not more. Holding RB doesn't change anything. Combined with the defense's insane ability to get picks, it makes for a really frustrating game.

Whats hilarious though is that when you're not turning the ball over, offense is super easy. You can take an average team and move it all over the field on the #1 defense in the country. But you'll still score less that 20 points because of the turnovers.

The option game is the only consistent way to move the ball without worrying about unfair picks, though fumbles still apply. But thats only because the option is overpowered as hell. You are able to pitch the ball with 2 defenders draped all over you. This abuses the defense because once they converge on the QB, he's able to pitch the ball no matter how many defenders are tackling him, giving the ball to a now wide open RB. You can run nothing but the power option and speed option, and rush for 300 yards.

So seriously, don't get 08. It has way too many "throw your controller across the room in frustration" moments.
Old 12-12-2011, 09:04 PM   #5
Rookie

jjbreez90's Arena

OVR: 4

I started playing NCAA 07 a week ago after trading in NCAA 12 a loooooong time ago and had an absolute BLAST. Some of teh animations and the way the players look is amazing.

It is ridiculous to me that the animations have gotten so bad compared to the PS2 days. I also love having all the FCS teams in the game. There is no teambuilder but the create-a-team isn't too shabby (and it even lets you choose your rival and PRIDE STICKERS!)
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-12-2011, 09:45 PM   #6
Rookie

OVR: 5

'06 was my last PS2 ncaa...loved it. The thing I miss most was finding 3 star guys who could legitimately develop into stars. In these next gen games the only way you find a 3 star stud is if he's JUCO.
Old 12-13-2011, 11:48 PM   #7
Rookie

OVR: 2

If you decide to go with a post-2006 NCAA I would get 07 or 09. Like someone said, 08 is a turnover fest and the big hits that cause fumbles will tick you off. I'll never forget I was FSU playing Duke and got smoked 21-7 while committing 8 turnovers.

Those games are fun and remain challenging if you limit your 5 star recruits and develop a roster of 3 and 4 star guys.
Old 12-14-2011, 12:14 AM   #8
MVP

OVR: 39

Does anyone have input on 11 for PS2? Thinking about buying a ps2 again...

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »