Home

How Do You Stop The Read Option...?

This is a discussion on How Do You Stop The Read Option...? within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-14-2012, 07:31 AM   #9
Rookie

OVR: 0
Re: How Do You Stop The Read Option...?

i was wondering about this also. i play a friend who uses it with Bridgewater and my entire dline and lb's bite on the fake handoff leaving him with tons of room to run. i know it's coming and can do nothing. may have to try the option setting
Old 10-14-2012, 11:16 AM   #10
Pro

OVR: 5

spy does not work, the way to stop is not to blitz or pass commit
Old 10-14-2012, 01:31 PM   #11
Banned

football200414's Arena

OVR: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by novadolla
spy does not work, the way to stop is not to blitz or pass commit
Not true. I'm about as good as you'll find running the read option and the thing that gets me everytime is when the DE crashes to chase down the HB, therefore it's a QB keeper, but they also blitz a DB or OLB to the same side I'm keeping the ball. My QB gets rocked for a loss and if I would have handed the ball off the HB would have gained 1-2 yards max. Granted they did it by chance and if they did it everytime I'd counter it with something else, but it does stop the read option. If you know beyond a shadow of doubt that it's coming, it could definitely be an option.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-15-2012, 02:21 PM   #12
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by football200414
Not true. I'm about as good as you'll find running the read option and the thing that gets me everytime is when the DE crashes to chase down the HB, therefore it's a QB keeper, but they also blitz a DB or OLB to the same side I'm keeping the ball. My QB gets rocked for a loss and if I would have handed the ball off the HB would have gained 1-2 yards max. Granted they did it by chance and if they did it everytime I'd counter it with something else, but it does stop the read option. If you know beyond a shadow of doubt that it's coming, it could definitely be an option.
okay well maybe the OP should try that then.
Old 10-15-2012, 05:42 PM   #13
Rookie

prd689's Arena

Sometimes it's almost as if there is an invisible halo around the QB when he keeps. Or, his elusiveness rating skyrockets on a good read thus making tacking a complete crapshoot. I play in a dynasty where 3-4 guys run zone read. Setting the line to aggressively pursue the QB works...some of the time. DO NOT QB READ against the read option. Your spy will get sucked up to the line like every other down lineman.

Best way to stop it is control teh DE on the side of the read. Take your chances of the RB gaining a lot. He usually doesn't more often than not. I'd rather the HB gain 1-2 yards or lose yards than the QB going invince-robot on me and run for either a touchdown or major yardage. Triple option reads are the worst because now even if you read the option right, there is a pitch man who is ALWAYS uncovered.

The zone read is broken and someone who runs it well, disguises it well and/or mixes it up in their play calling is going to get yards regardless of what you do. A good way to stop them doing it is set your Big Hit to aggressive and smash the crap out of the QB to force fumbles. Turnovers always make people second guess things :P
Old 08-15-2013, 05:20 AM   #14
Rookie

OVR: 2

I tried controlling the DE and it didn't work - he did his own thing like he was still cpu controlled
Old 08-15-2013, 05:26 AM   #15
EA Sports' Equipment Guru

KANE699's Arena

OVR: 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenWire
I tried controlling the DE and it didn't work - he did his own thing like he was still cpu controlled
This is also one of the reasons it's so tough to defend.

Follow me on twitter @Equipment_Guru
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-15-2013, 10:32 AM   #16
Rookie

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by UWfan206
Sorry if this has been posted so forgive me but I need MAJOR help stopping this play..I play a few friends who does it and are way too effective with it. It's time I shut them down....
I run the read option quite a bit to help offset the lack of power run I have with OSU.

At times, it can seem unstoppable but it actually is really easy to stop.

First Step, Turn your Option Defense to Aggressive. This will stop the QB EVERY TIME.

Next Step, Focus a DT or MLB as yourself on the RB.

Most folks will stop running it, if they only get 3 or 4 yards with an RB. Just be ready to make a play on the "standard" type of play when it comes time.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »