Home

Personnel and Space.

This is a discussion on Personnel and Space. within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-13-2013, 01:16 AM   #1
Rookie

TryHard_Nation's Arena

OVR: 12
Personnel and Space.

The biggest issues for me are the lack of space and personnel. I'll start with the former. Personnel and depth plays a huge role on every football team. You have guys on your team because of what they are able to do and their unique skill sets. In real life running De'Anthony Thomas up the middle out of a power I formation is just about the dumbest thing Oregon could do. De'Anthony's skill set is custom tailored for making plays in space/open field. The problem in NCAA is that no matter what a persons "skill set" is based on ratings, it doesn't matter. Speed guys are just as good if not better than power backs up the middle. Also, in NCAA even if everyone played by their skill set it wouldn't matter because it is too hard to take advantage of. Take Daje Johnson out of UT for an example. He is listed as 3rd string slot wr on the depth chart IRL but that is only because they have to stick him some where in there. About 50% of his plays this season were in the pistol as the lone back and either taking a stretch play to house (see opening play 84 yard run on youtube) or some sort of flare and the other half being in a slot and either running a wheel or bubble route or taking a jet sweep. I need to be able to use my custom play book to make packages around a player and in the in game play calling have a improved call by player that features guys on the bench. EVERY TEAM HAS A SPEED OR SWEEP GUY NOWADAYS!

Secondly is the lack of space on the field. Even if I was able to build a package or set of plays like jet sweeps they wouldn't work because there isn't enough space on the field.i feel like I throw a bubble and by the time my guy catches it he is at the sideline. This game does not let you take advantage of players with specific skill sets. What are your thoughts on these two issues?

Thanks
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-13-2013, 12:00 PM   #2
Pro

Haze88's Arena

OVR: 5
Re: Personnel and Space.

These are killers with how the college game is progressing. The spread offenses that are taking over the NCAA cannot be successfully run with the field proportions we are given. As far as personnel, another big thing. We need better depth charts depending on the offense. For example, in New England Welker is always in the slot when we go 3+ wide, to do that in this game, he'd be stuck at WR 3 on the chart and not be on the field otherwise. We need X,Y, Slot receiver charts among other things as well as a return of custom packages form the PS2 era.
Old 01-13-2013, 04:26 PM   #3
Rookie

OVR: 0

Completely agree field is too small. When running screens they never work against press coverage and the CPU always comes out in pres against them. They need things like red zone backs and as stated above they need updated depth charts where its X, Y, and Z receivers as well as different linebackers since teams run 3-4 and the 2nd ILB is just the backup at MLB.
Old 01-13-2013, 07:08 PM   #4
Rookie

TryHard_Nation's Arena

OVR: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by dudo670
Completely agree field is too small. When running screens they never work against press coverage and the CPU always comes out in pres against them. They need things like red zone backs and as stated above they need updated depth charts where its X, Y, and Z receivers as well as different linebackers since teams run 3-4 and the 2nd ILB is just the backup at MLB.
Situational players would be nice as well. Players like speed rushers need to come in on third and long.
Old 01-16-2013, 10:45 AM   #5
Rookie

Seems like formation subs allow all this if you want it to?

For example....i put speed rushers in two or three specific defensive sets and always run those on third and long.

go through all your offensive plays and puts guys in the slot or wherever you want them.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-16-2013, 10:57 AM   #6
MVP

jello1717's Arena

OVR: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougbenefield66
Seems like formation subs allow all this if you want it to?

For example....i put speed rushers in two or three specific defensive sets and always run those on third and long.

go through all your offensive plays and puts guys in the slot or wherever you want them.
What he said. Formation subs will allow you to do most of the things for which you're asking.
College #1: Michigan Wolverines
College #2: Michigan State Spartans (my alma mater)
College #3: North Carolina Tar Heels
NHL: Detroit Redwings
Old 01-16-2013, 11:40 AM   #7
Rookie

yeah...like for example Deanthony .....find all the plays where the slots run the ball laterally or the specific receiver who gets screens etc.....put him in all those places.....then find formations where there will option pitches etc....put him at all those places.

I agree that it would be nice if the game would do a lot of this but you are asking for a ton of extra research when you get into these types of things.
Old 01-16-2013, 12:01 PM   #8
Rookie

OVR: 2

I love me some formation subs. I usually use up all of my allotted formation subs because I like to utilize 2 or 3 running backs as well as mix up where my receivers line up in different formations. I also mix up my defenses a little with formation subs. The thing that I hate is that you can't sub a player in for a guy that is set up in formation subs. I like to start subbing guys in to play with the 1st string in the second half of games if I have a good lead before using mass subs a little later. The problem is that all I can do is sub a guy in for my #1 rb, and the guy only plays the formations where no formation subs are set up at rb. When using three rb's in formation subs I only end up subbing for a few formations and would like it if the guy was subbed in for the other formation subs, or be able to choose to sub the player for my #2 rb and every formation sub that he is in, but I understand that this is a difficult change since there are a lot of variables and is actually set up the best way right now without being able to do a lot of customizing to how it works.

One more thing. I have never confirmed this with anyone else, but doing formation subs is extremely slow to do unless you do them in game, so I would highly recommend starting a game and once you have the ball on O, do your offensive formation subs, and when on D do your defensive formation subs.

If you click on formation subs during a play such as the kickoff you will notice that they are all screwed up (your qb may be shown at safety, etc)

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »