Home

Questions about Wyoming Cowboys dynasty in NCAA 13

This is a discussion on Questions about Wyoming Cowboys dynasty in NCAA 13 within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-11-2013, 12:58 PM   #1
Rookie

Guru03's Arena

OVR: 5
Questions about Wyoming Cowboys dynasty in NCAA 13

I am most likely starting a dynasty with the Wyoming Cowboys in 13 (because they are a young team, a small school, and they have talent that fits my offensive scheme)and i have some questions. I think we have the OS Community rosters (from like back in December)

1) Who here on OS has done a Wyoming Cowboys dynasty in 13? If so, do you have any tips or advice for me?
2) How hard is recruiting with Wyoming?
3) This will be my first time doing a small school dynasty. Is this a good small school team for first timers at doing a small school dynasty?
4) I run an extreme version of the Air Raid offense. Is Wyoming a good small school for an Air Raid player?.

Thanks in advance for your help.

- Clemson
- Michigan
- Michigan State (because of Anthony Ianni)
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-11-2013, 02:52 PM   #2
Air Raid

Dr Death's Arena

OVR: 17
Re: Questions about Wyoming Cowboys dynasty in NCAA 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guru03
I am most likely starting a dynasty with the Wyoming Cowboys in 13 (because they are a young team, a small school, and they have talent that fits my offensive scheme)and i have some questions. I think we have the OS Community rosters (from like back in December)

1) Who here on OS has done a Wyoming Cowboys dynasty in 13? If so, do you have any tips or advice for me?
3) This will be my first time doing a small school dynasty. Is this a good small school team for first timers at doing a small school dynasty?
4) I run an extreme version of the Air Raid offense. Is Wyoming a good small school for an Air Raid player?.

I'll answer your questions one at a time...

1) - One thing you have to realize is that most people play differently than another person. So getting "advice" from someone else probably isn't going to help you. My suggestion would be to run the team how you see fit, and if you have to recruit certain players to make your offense, defense or both, fit better, then recruit hard and go after them...

2) - Depends on where you have your sliders. If they are set on Heisman, then you're going to have a rough go, at least for a couple of years. Win more, try to go from 1 and 2-star players to 3-stars... then after you've built your roster up with mostly 3-star players, try for some 4-stars and so on...

3) - ANY small school is good at taking over! For one, they're a challenge, two it will take you quite a while to get "respect" in the polls and three, it's just more fun taking over some small school. I typically play with Idaho, North Texas, Arkansas State and sometimes Florida Atlantic...

4) - Yes. Wyoming is a spread team. They run a lot of 4 and 5-wide formations. But, even if they didn't, you could always recruit them to run the type of offense you want. Just have some patience... recruiting on Heisman can be tough if you're a small school. So you're going to have to get used to losing a lot of guys. You may land one or two, but it's going to be a while before you're dominating and winning recruits like the bigger schools. Try to have fun... there's nothing like taking a lower level team over and building them up!

Old 05-11-2013, 07:01 PM   #3
Rookie

hossafan91's Arena

OVR: 11

a few tips with small school dynasties that i have picked up over the years:

1)Recruit close to home. As Wyoming, you are the only team in your state, as well as being surrounded by states with little to no schools (ND, SD, MT, WY, NE, ID, MN, CO, UT). If you work at trying to get these states as pipelines, it will pay off. out of these 4 states there is usually one to three 4-5 star recruits. having your team as the closest and only pipeline is a huge help in getting these guys. Also, for the 1*, 2*, and 3* that you will need to recruit at the start of your time at WYO there will be much less competition for these recruits.

2)Focus on YOUR style of play. when recruiting talent it is important that you stay true to your style of play. If it is Air Raid, make sure you focus on getting the right players for it. You start off with a great true sophomore in Brett Smith (from my home state) who can also run pretty well so that should help you at the start. you'll probably want to improve your WRs as well as your D for the first year. Try and fill slots a year or 2 in advance so you can redshirt players/have depth in case on injury.

3) BEAT CSU. no matter who your rival is (in this case CSU) it is important to beat them year in and year out. rivalry games help out a bunch during recruiting.

4) Get to know your team. this is something I love to do whenever I start a dynasty with a new team. go onto their team website or youtube pages and watch a few videos about the team. learn some of their traditions, watch a pump up video, get excited about the team. I find that doing this helps keep your attention and love of the team throughout the games. A lot of these "small" programs (especially ones like wyoming) have really good fanbases and love their teams.

5) Utilize position switching in the offseason. you never know how a WR will be at HB or vice versa. for an air raid this might be huge. also, try and recruit some ATH. they are very helpful at small schools. and may even be able to fill multiple positions for you.

Answering your questions:
1) I have done a few Wyoming dynasties over the years. (I have probably done a dynasty with about ever small and medium school)
2) Recruiting with Wyoming is medium difficulty for small schools. you have it easier because you are the only in state team and don't have a ton of competition in border states (only Utah, Nebraska, and BSU). Might be harder since you are farther away from Texas and Cali.
3) Wyoming isn't what I would call "small" so it should be a good start. you have a decent team to start with and play in a decent conference that you should be able to win in the fist few years.
4) I don't run an Air Raid, but as long as you recruit for your system well it should work. you have a good young QB so that should help you out a lot.

"Who I am is not important, my message is." -Revan

http://www.operationsports.com/hossa...-jackson-story
Old 05-12-2013, 12:28 AM   #4
Rookie

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guru03

1. I haven't but I was thinking about doing one in 14. I run the Air Raid too.
2. It'll obviously be harder than Florida or Ohio State or something but it's honestly not too bad in my opinion. There are a couple things you should do. Be sure to complete as many contract goals as you can. It'll help a ton. Exploit the bejesus out of those pipeline states. The good thing about Wyoming is that no one else is really recruiting your state very hard haha. If you were North Texas or FIU or Fresno State, you'd not only have to recruit against the big time programs in your state, but also other teams that want access to those states, since they have the best recruits. The bad thing is that Wyoming is kind of isolated from other pipeline states. For instance, if you were New Mexico or NM State, you could recruit your own state, and try to get into California and Texas, which are relatively close and have TONS of recruits. EDIT: Whoops, totally didn't see this is exactly what hossafan said. My bad. Regardless, it still stands haha. I would concentrate on your own state (which is probably your only pipeline) and work on building up the other ones that are close to being pipeline states. (OR, WA, maybe UT or CO). Find 2 and 3 star players there and spend 60 minutes on them. Use easy recruiting pitches (no redshirt, playing time (if you know they're going to play), win rivalry games, play game in home state, etc.) You should move into their top 10 pretty easily. Concentrate on your needs obviously and always go for QBs and WRs for a couple of reasons. 1. You're running the Air Raid, you need as much talent at those positions as possible. I know that Leach liked/likes to bring in a new team, including a new QB, every class. 2. They'll be easier to recruit than other positions as the playing style will be an A or A+ due to you throwing the ball around and also, for WRs, their chance at playing time will be significantly increased since you'll be playing 4 wide most of the game and likely have some 5 wide sets (depending on what playbook you're using.)
3. Wyoming is a good school. Nice stadium, good non-AQ conference. You'll get some chances for some attention every year if you knock off Boise. You'll get to play in a conference championship after your first year.
4. I think so. Brett Smith is the QB there and he's only a sophomore. His 2012 numbers were pretty impressive: 2832 yards, 27 TDs, and only 6 INTs. And he can run a little too so you can incorporate the read option into your play calling if you want for an extra wrinkle. They have a solid receiving core. RBs are pretty weak but it's not like you'll be relying on them too much or anything. Still, a bad RB even in the Air Raid can be frustrating so maybe try to shore that up in recruiting. I think the defense is weak too but if you can score enough, that hopefully won't matter.

Hope this helps in addition to what the other two guys said, let me know if you need any clarification about any of this or anything else.

Last edited by stormisbruin; 05-12-2013 at 12:30 AM.
Old 05-12-2013, 11:16 AM   #5
All Star

JoshC1977's Arena

OVR: 5

Answer: I have done one. It is challenging, but not overly so. Your defense is awful so ball control is key. One advantage is that your QB is young, talented, and can move. Building in some read option is a huge advantage.

Answer: It's a moderate challenge from what I remember. You need to improve your defense and O-line to have a chance, so your first class may not be too "sexy".

Answer: "Small school" is a stretch here. You are in a good conference and have decent talent. So yeah, I guess if you are trying to go down to a lower level, it is an OK starting spot.

Answer: If you run no-huddle all day, then no. Your defense is lousy and won't be able to keep up if they are out on the field all day. A more methodical air raid should work though.
Advertisements - Register to remove

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »