Home

Anyone Think EA Went Overboard With Ratings?

This is a discussion on Anyone Think EA Went Overboard With Ratings? within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-24-2013, 11:17 PM   #17
Rookie

OVR: 0
Re: Anyone Think EA Went Overboard With Ratings?

The problem is one you've noted, at least for some schools. USC is probably a 91 or even higher talent wise, but thanks to Kiffin, it's more like a 75.

Iowa is definitely overrated. Baylor's offense is a 90 or higher but their defense (though it did improve) is a 70 at best. Mizzou is probably overrated. So is Arkansas. USF is horribly overrated. Don't remember who else was on your list. There needs to be some coaching rating or something. USC is one of the most talented teams in the country but underachieves thanks to their coach. Same with Texas. Meanwhile, guys like Art Briles, Mike Leach (except for last year), and Pat Fitzgerald win a good amount of games with a lot less talent.
Old 06-24-2013, 11:44 PM   #18
Be Good To One Another

The JareBear's Arena

OVR: 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by khaliib
Thank God for Editing!!!
Amen.

My biggest problem every year is with team defenses. A lot of the teams with 85+ defenses are teams that get torched week in and out and just out score their opponents in real life. If I was a ratings guy, which I don't have the talent, knowledge, or patience to be, I would have a number of teams with high 80s offenses and mid to low 70s defenses.

OS Blog

The Tortured Mind Of A Rockies Fan. In Arenado I Trust.
Old 06-24-2013, 11:45 PM   #19
Be Good To One Another

The JareBear's Arena

OVR: 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by bad_philanthropy
An unfortunate implication of this is in dynasty. The closeness in ratings allows for too many upsets.
Exactly, the unrealistic parity in the ratings is the main issue with the sim engine predicting crazy upsets.

OS Blog

The Tortured Mind Of A Rockies Fan. In Arenado I Trust.
Old 06-25-2013, 01:01 AM   #20
All Star

TarHeelPhenom's Arena

OVR: 10

Using the generic editor, I went in at the end of the season and edited every single teams Overall Offensive and Defensive ratings based on real life statistics.So the worst had F ratings and the best had A's. Doing that made the game 100 times more realistic. I will be doing the same thing this year. There should be a drastic difference between the #1 defense in the country and the 118th rated defense.
Old 06-25-2013, 03:39 AM   #21
Rookie

pirateraider's Arena

OVR: 4

I try not to worry so much about overall ratings, the things that always just irks me is speed ratings. It just seems to me that there is no scale that EA follows and it frustrates me to no end
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-25-2013, 04:19 AM   #22
Rookie

Rumplebeanskin's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by TarHeelPhenom
Using the generic editor, I went in at the end of the season and edited every single teams Overall Offensive and Defensive ratings based on real life statistics.So the worst had F ratings and the best had A's. Doing that made the game 100 times more realistic. I will be doing the same thing this year. There should be a drastic difference between the #1 defense in the country and the 118th rated defense.
Excuse my ignorance (I'm new to NCAA but excited to pick up 14).....

I like lower overalls across the board (I enjoy NHL for this in fact), I like to feel a noticable difference between an average player and a stud, and when a large chunk of teams are cramped up towards the 88-92 region, that makes is it difficult to see at times.

Is there an easy to use tool (time consuming wise) to lower these overall rating before I start a dynasty? Or is it a case of editing each player and knocking every stat down by 5 or so? I know you mentioned the generic editor, I've just no idea what the functions of that are

And on the same note, what are the quality of the regens that are recruited going to look like? Are they not going to be the same in terms of Overall as the players they are replacing? Would you have to spend year on year reducing teams down from the 90+, or to a more realistic overall level, or does the game even itself out once you get into the regens 2/3/4 years down the line?

Thanks!
Old 06-25-2013, 04:39 AM   #23
MVP

grismosw's Arena

OVR: 15
Seems the issue is more with how they are calculating the team ratings. I've seen some team ratings in the 90s for defense but then their top rated players are in the low 80s.

Also players are rated too high.
Old 06-25-2013, 07:43 AM   #24
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by grismosw
Seems the issue is more with how they are calculating the team ratings. I've seen some team ratings in the 90s for defense but then their top rated players are in the low 80s.

Also players are rated too high.
Noticed that too. As mentioned earlier in this thread it could just be EA doing it to try and appease fan bases. Or have them willing to use their teams online.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »