Home

EA Sports Will Not Publish College Football Game Next Year, Future Plans in Doubt

This is a discussion on EA Sports Will Not Publish College Football Game Next Year, Future Plans in Doubt within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-28-2013, 07:37 AM   #401
Banned

RedSoxFox7's Arena

OVR: 3
Re: EA Sports Will Not Publish College Football Game Next Year, Future Plans in Doubt

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCoffey
Could the NCAA not put some text into the paperwork these athletes sign when enrolling to allow for them to use their name/likeness for marketing purposes?

So basically anyone wanting to pay college sports would either agree to allow it, or not play.
Oh joy, now we're suggesting the NCAA be even MORE exploitative.

Quote:
I understand both sides of the agreement, but I think scholarships and a stipend for meals is a lot. I understand the school is making a lot of money off of some of these kids, but you have to think...for every Johnny Football there are several hundred Joe and Jane Athletes at just that school, then think about that across ALL college athletics.
Scholarships and housing/meal plans are a joke.

For starters, the scholarships don't actually cost the schools anything. You're talking about 90 additional students among tens of thousands. The schools aren't hiring extra professors or building extra lecture halls for a fraction of a percent of their student body. Simply having these kids enrolled makes zero difference to their bottom line as far as the scholarship is concerned. It doesn't matter if it's BC at $60K/yr or UF at $20K/yr for a normal student, giving a scholarship to 90 football players isn't really costing the school any money.

Room & board at somewhere around $10K-$15K/yr has some real costs involved, but it's also got a ton of markup involved. I'm not sure where you went to school, but I've never heard of a single school where it wasn't considerably cheaper to live off campus and buy real food from grocery stores.

So, real costs, maybe $7500/yr? That's really not a lot of money, especially when you consider the earning potential being denied by NCAA regs.

Quote:
I don't see anyway they can pay any one sport athlete more/less than another sport (a football player would be paid the same as a volleyball player) without further backlash. I also don't see how one school could offer more to their players than another (players at UL Lafayette would make the same as those from LSU).

So if you want to pay all athletes based on the amount of money all colleges take in, then fine...but would it really be enough to help these kids out? I know "every little bit helps" but think about the amount of money divided amongst the number of athletes.

Also, then should student council or other clubs/affiliations get compensated too? I feel like there would be Pandoras box full of individuals trying to get compensation...and I think many would have just a good of a case as most of the athletes who would be getting paid.
It's simple, just don't have the schools shouldn't pay the athletes directly. Then nothing you just brought up is an issue.

All you have to do is allow the athletes to get paid. Instead of the NCAA prohibiting athletes from profiting off of their image (so the NCAA can quite literally rob them of it), you let the kids get endorsements, you let them license their likeness to EA or 2K or whoever the hell they want, you let them get paid for signing autographs without some asinine half game suspension. It's already happening behind the scenes pretty much everywhere, and it's put a black eye on a number of prestigious programs, the best thing they can do is just legitimize it.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-28-2013, 08:35 AM   #402
Rookie

OVR: 0
Thanks, Ed O' Bannon and his cohorts!
Old 09-28-2013, 09:27 AM   #403
*ll St*r

roadman's Arena

OVR: 34
Re: EA Sports Will Not Publish College Football Game Next Year, Future Plans in Doubt

Quote:
Originally Posted by da ThRONe
Wouldn't all the employees you listed fall under the umbrella of "honest people". I said it to be all encompassing. I can't go through and point out every employee and their personal involvement.
So, basically, because they work at the same company and building, from top to bottom, throw them all under the bus and drive over in reverse with people you don't know.

Sounds like a game plan, but something that I was never taught to do. Guilt by association.

I do agree with paying for their likeness and similar things to that, but outside of that, I don't agree with paying them any more.
Old 09-28-2013, 10:08 AM   #404
Rookie

GoDevils95's Arena

OVR: 4

I say this as an ASU grad and fan...that I hated Sam Keller when he was our starting QB in '05...and I hate him even more now. This arrogant punk signed up for this lawsuit (with Ed O'Bannon) as a money grub. Like it really hurt them that a video game company made a game a used their "likeness"? I know that's not the point....but if Keller was good enough to make it in NFL, he'd have never gone this route. Same with O'Bannon in the NBA.

Keller was / is a coke head who wouldn't show up for ASU team workouts in the offseason....partied all night during the season....lost the respect of his ASU teammates....then got beat out by a Freshman (Rudy Carpenter) and threw a fit like a complete baby. His dad, had connections with Oak Raiders, got Bill Callahan to give him a shot at Neb. We all know how that turned out - karma got him, and he got injured half way through a mediocre season. The dope moved back to Scottsdale, AZ and was seen partying all over town. Then he caught wind of this lawsuit and added his name = which really got this going b/c two athletes from two different sports were on it. Just a money grab. That's all this was to them.

EA, by making a better game, was following the NCAA. What about TV networks using players likeness on TV commercials to sell their game to viewing public all week? Does ABC / ESPN / CBS / FOX pay these "student athletes"? Why just go after video game companies? Greed. The consumer was really hurt on this. College football will take a hit on this. At one time (late 90s)....college football players considered EA's game to a huge compliment to be in the game (remember when you could only edit rosters for up to 10 teams?).....now.....today's players are RIDICULOUS. They want something for not doing anything at all. EA deserves to make a profit on this....they did all the work....and the NCAA never told them they were wrong for doing what they were doing....with their athletes.

NCAA athletes will NEVER get paid. NEVER. Why? Because if they aren't considered "amateur"....then the Federal Gov't views the universities / colleges differently and then they will be taxed differently (much like corporations are). Universities will do away with their athletic programs before they ever pay the athletes. The athletes and their programs are small potatoes compared to a university's purpose. This threatens their very livelihood. They will not tolerate that. University's primary purpose is education and research. Athletic programs are simply in place to help bring exposure and build camaraderie and spirit on the campus. That's it.

Today's athletes are punks. They are more intent on destroying something instead of trying to build. This EA-NCAA-athletes lawsuit is just one little small example in our society. Feel free to drive off a cliff Sam Keller. You piece of trash.
Old 09-28-2013, 10:30 AM   #405
Rookie

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoDevils95
NCAA athletes will NEVER get paid. NEVER. Why? Because if they aren't considered "amateur"....then the Federal Gov't views the universities / colleges differently and then they will be taxed differently (much like corporations are). Universities will do away with their athletic programs before they ever pay the athletes. The athletes and their programs are small potatoes compared to a university's purpose. This threatens their very livelihood. They will not tolerate that. University's primary purpose is education and research. Athletic programs are simply in place to help bring exposure and build camaraderie and spirit on the campus. That's it.

Today's athletes are punks. They are more intent on destroying something instead of trying to build. This EA-NCAA-athletes lawsuit is just one little small example in our society. Feel free to drive off a cliff Sam Keller. You piece of trash.
Couldn't have said it better myself. And yes, for the reasons you mentioned, the university system is about as likely to pay players as the Catholic Church is likely to endorse abortion. The other day, the Big 10 Commissioner Tom Delaney pretty much said as much. If the Big 10 is willing to cut off their cash cow, so will all the others (except for maybe the SEC, since they care little about academics). They simply CAN'T pay players, and they won't. If they have to shut it all down, they will. They aren't bluffing.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-28-2013, 10:35 AM   #406
Need A Life

bkrich83's Arena

OVR: 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghettogeeksta
I gotta get mine generation? And that only applies to the players right.
Applies to the entire generation. The players are just the most visible now.
Old 09-28-2013, 10:44 AM   #407
Fire LesS Miles ASAP!

da ThRONe's Arena

OVR: 35
Location: Atlanta, GA (On unholy ground, NOLA still greatest city ever)

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadman
So, basically, because they work at the same company and building, from top to bottom, throw them all under the bus and drive over in reverse with people you don't know.

Sounds like a game plan, but something that I was never taught to do. Guilt by association.

I do agree with paying for their likeness and similar things to that, but outside of that, I don't agree with paying them any more.
What are you talking about? I'm not happy anybody is losing their jobs. However I can't support the exploitation of human beings either.

Number may not tell the whole story ,but they never lie either.
Old 09-28-2013, 10:45 AM   #408
All Star

OVR: 19

"For starters, the scholarships don't actually cost the schools anything. You're talking about 90 additional students among tens of thousands. The schools aren't hiring extra professors or building extra lecture halls for a fraction of a percent of their student body. Simply having these kids enrolled makes zero difference to their bottom line as far as the scholarship is concerned. It doesn't matter if it's BC at $60K/yr or UF at $20K/yr for a normal student, giving a scholarship to 90 football players isn't really costing the school any money.

Room & board at somewhere around $10K-$15K/yr has some real costs involved, but it's also got a ton of markup involved. I'm not sure where you went to school, but I've never heard of a single school where it wasn't considerably cheaper to live off campus and buy real food from grocery stores.

So, real costs, maybe $7500/yr? That's really not a lot of money, especially when you consider the earning potential being denied by NCAA regs."

Tapatalk won't let me do a proper quote...

But this scenario is only taking 1 sport into account. Title IX wouldn't allow for just football players to get paid, it would have to be across all sports. Then you'll have non athletes looking for handouts too, think about those kids who's GPA brings up the overall GPA of the school...would it be wrong for them to get compensated outside of their scholarship.

I really could care less about college students/athletes getting paid. I'm definitely going to miss college sports games. Glad I have CH 2K8 and will keep NCAA 14 til something changes.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »