Home

number of plays?

This is a discussion on number of plays? within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-30-2013, 05:53 AM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 0
number of plays?

What's the low/top ends?

Meaning, two huddle-up conservative teams against each other. Then, two uptempo no-huddle teams. I know there's a lot of different variables that contribute to this, just looking for someone who knows the college game better than I do to make a suggestion.

I run a slow, methodical offense, but I don't drain the clock to 00. I think that would rob the cpu of its fair share of plays. But my defense is in "transition" to the 3-4 so they need help by way of ball control.

I play on 10 min qtrs and 140 seems to be my low end. I'm thinking 9 min will work to make 140 my mid-level.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-30-2013, 01:32 PM   #2
Rookie

skundy's Arena

OVR: 1
Re: number of plays?

50-65 plays for the more traditional offenses.

70-85 for the no huddle

I play with 9 minute qtrs and it seems to be about right for total number of plays.

-Know yourself-you win 50% of the time.
-Know your opponent-you win 50% of the time.
-Know yourself and your opponent- 100%Pwng
The Art of War- Sun Tzu

Last edited by skundy; 09-30-2013 at 01:35 PM.
Old 09-30-2013, 01:42 PM   #3
MVP

jello1717's Arena

OVR: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by skundy
50-65 plays for the more traditional offenses.

70-85 for the no huddle

I play with 9 minute qtrs and it seems to be about right for total number of plays.
Last season only 1 team ran fewer than 64 plays per game.

http://www.teamrankings.com/college-...ate=2013-01-07
College #1: Michigan Wolverines
College #2: Michigan State Spartans (my alma mater)
College #3: North Carolina Tar Heels
NHL: Detroit Redwings
Old 09-30-2013, 03:04 PM   #4
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jello1717
Last season only 1 team ran fewer than 64 plays per game.

http://www.teamrankings.com/college-...ate=2013-01-07
Ok so now my real question is this:

What (in you guy's opinion, of course) is more realistic or important to realistic stats, running the average plays or having the capacity to run those plays?

At 10 min, my numbers range to the high end of total plays. So if I chose to run conservative tempo the whole game, that would reduce it greatly. The downside being I may be "cheating/cheesing" the cpu of realistic TOP.

Would it be cheesing to get my defense better ranking?
Or is it fair usage of ball control strategy?

All opinions welcome.
Old 09-30-2013, 03:17 PM   #5
MVP

jello1717's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by divinemind

What (in you guy's opinion, of course) is more realistic or important to realistic stats, running the average plays or having the capacity to run those plays?

At 10 min, my numbers range to the high end of total plays. So if I chose to run conservative tempo the whole game, that would reduce it greatly. The downside being I may be "cheating/cheesing" the cpu of realistic TOP.

Would it be cheesing to get my defense better ranking?
Or is it fair usage of ball control strategy?

All opinions welcome.
If a team like Alabama played a team like USC in real life, the teams would both run the clock down so neither team would gain a TOP advantage based on how quickly they snap the ball.

In NCAA, if a user controlled Alabama (or USC) were to play a CPU controlled USC (or Alabama) and the user ran the clock down every time they'd get much more TOP because the CPU will snap the ball much quicker and won't run the clock down. Therefore, if you chewed the clock all game against another team that in real life also chews the clock your D's stats should be skewed since they're not on the field for as long.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-02-2013, 11:50 AM   #6
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by divinemind

What (in you guy's opinion, of course) is more realistic or important to realistic stats, running the average plays or having the capacity to run those plays
Keep in mind that with this game uses fewer running backs in the game than typical college football teams in real life, so to generate realistic stats for individual players, you may want to aim for 5-10 fewer plays.

In other words, while a real team might average 65 plays per game, 5 of those plays would likely go to a third or 4th string running back that would never play in the video game. So, those 5 extra plays would go to your first string RB or the QB in the game, knocking the individual stats off a little.
Old 10-02-2013, 02:11 PM   #7
MVP

jello1717's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by zocrates
Keep in mind that with this game uses fewer running backs in the game than typical college football teams in real life, so to generate realistic stats for individual players, you may want to aim for 5-10 fewer plays.

In other words, while a real team might average 65 plays per game, 5 of those plays would likely go to a third or 4th string running back that would never play in the video game. So, those 5 extra plays would go to your first string RB or the QB in the game, knocking the individual stats off a little.
This is completely up to the user. Of course CPU teams won't get their 3rd and 4th string backs carries, but I always spread out my carries. Here's the carries from my last complete season:

Fenton was #1 with Brown #2, Harper #3, and Doty #4.
Attached Images
File Type: png 2019 carries.PNG (27.1 KB, 65 views)
Old 10-02-2013, 09:43 PM   #8
Rookie

Jello answered my question. I knew it already but was looking for someone to give me a cheap way to help my porous defense while still keeping a clean conscience. Thanks a lot Jello, you suck. lol How'd you get 11 fumbles? I've played 3 years and may have a only handful that weren't overturned.

I understand what Zoc is saying too. I spread the ball around. With formation subs not exactly working as intended, I manually sub HB/WR/TE once they get a light green or after a big 20+ yard play where I think they'd be out of breath. Nearly every skill position player sees the field for me every game, even if only just to get in the game. I just try to make things more dynamic that way.

Thanks for the replies.

Last edited by divinemind; 10-02-2013 at 09:46 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »