Home

What NCAA game best captures the triple option and all it's intricacies?

This is a discussion on What NCAA game best captures the triple option and all it's intricacies? within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-20-2021, 12:07 PM   #17
MVP

OVR: 0
Re: What NCAA game best captures the triple option and all it's intricacies?

14 is probably the right answer, but not for the reasons people are giving.

Option defense was atrocious in 14. Something is always deliberately left open so logic and awareness are thrown out the window, especially if your coaching adjustments for option are changed. You’ll see players run literally right by the QB if you have it set to focus on pitch man, or vice versa.

On top of that, there is no gap responsibility or run fitting for the defense so they just hit blockers head up. Leaving running lanes everywhere and giving the perception that run blocking is really good, when actually run defense is just really bad.

With all of that being said, there is still a fun factor for running it. The CPU defense handles options a bit better than User AI does. There’s definitely more creativity in 14’s playbooks compared to any other, although 09 on PS2 is close. There’s more counters and stuff to run off of your option calls that give it a more realistic feel.

If you like 14, and you are looking for triple option play, it’s probably a perfect combination for you.
Old 10-20-2021, 12:31 PM   #18
Rookie

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by volwalker
Right, the dynasty issues are the biggies for me. I don't know how to enjoy 11 without playing dynasty though.
I just play seasons as my favorite team. I don't really do the recruiting and such. Maybe why I can enjoy 11.

I'm trying to see if 11 has the same issue as 09 where when running triple option the D always takes the QB. I could have swore last night while I was playing as Taquon Marshall that they covered me one play but also covered the pitch as well. One play two defenders covered both. Should have gone with the Dive.

But I may be wrong. Does that problem persist in 11 do you know of?

Being a 100% Flexbone guy it's really hard to not want to play 09-11 with the additional playbooks and pre-snap motion. Even if 06 is better in other regards. I'm kinda torn.
Old 10-20-2021, 12:37 PM   #19
Rookie

OVR: 2

Do any of the games have the reverse triple option that Army runs with Anderson/Tyler? (I'm sure Paul Johnson invented it.) Not the counter triple or not the WR triple reverse. Where the option is meant to go one way and the QB looks like he's about to make that progression but then goes in the complete opposite direction.

I don;t think I've seen it in any of the games.

I wish the Midline was in the PS2 games. That is one of the few things of the 14 game I like better than the PS2 era.
Old 10-20-2021, 04:11 PM   #20
Rookie

OBinKC's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrudey32
Do any of the games have the reverse triple option that Army runs with Anderson/Tyler? (I'm sure Paul Johnson invented it.) Not the counter triple or not the WR triple reverse. Where the option is meant to go one way and the QB looks like he's about to make that progression but then goes in the complete opposite direction.

I don;t think I've seen it in any of the games.

I wish the Midline was in the PS2 games. That is one of the few things of the 14 game I like better than the PS2 era.
It looks like the Triple Option Reverse is in ‘09 for the PS2, if it’s the one you’re talking about. Labeled “Triple Option Rev”, the left A-back motions towards the right side, the give to the B-back is to the right side, but then both the A-back and QB reverse directions and go left for the pitch option. I’m assuming it would be in ‘10 and ‘11 as well, but I don’t have those playbooks in front of me.
Old 10-21-2021, 12:01 PM   #21
MVP

PGaither84's Arena

OVR: 49

Quote:
I always heard the bad pursuit angles on 08 PS2 ruined the game. Don't have it, though. But I know Playbook Gamer tested it.

This is true and false at the same time. Sprint is the problem. Do not use the Sprint button, and the game plays like a dream. The pursuit of the LBs is fine, the problem is with the two high safeties who chase the wrong hip WHILE HOLDING SPRINT. Their pursuit is perfect if you are not using sprint. This problem was also the case in Madden 10 on the 360, and EA talked about that during the making of Madden 11. The Sprint button is a hold over from the SNES game that players love but "breaks the game".

Pressing sprint overrides your acceleration rating and you player instantly reached 100% of their maximum speed. Sprint also ignores your stamina rating and allows you to maintain that 100% speed. The developers also said that, in order to compensate for players suddenly pressing sprint, they had to add code for instant block shedding and how it made pursuit angle a challenge - especially as they continued to improve game play and running controls.

"But without sprint, speed doesn't matter as much!" is something I have heard over the years. Wrong. I matters more. Now you NEED guys like Jamaal Charles, Chris Johnson, Jahvid Best, and Darren McFadden. Guys who have 95+ speed (and who all are in NCAA 08). You also need your blockers, good scheme and timing with your play calling.

In my custom sliders, I am messing with RB Ability & run blocking for the user vs the CPU block shedding and tackle sliders to make a very satisfying running experience. The right thumb stick is the "Highlight Stick", which I go in and practice all kinds of moves and when to use them - to see if I am too early, too late or just right. Without using sprint, you can also feel your runner's natural agility and change of direction.

The AI doesn't use sprint, unless the user presses sprint. it is literally an arcade style feature that players love. EA tried to remove it forever in Madden 11 and players HATED them for it, so they brought it back for Madden 12.

Just stop using it and see how much better your experience is. If you have never played without depending on sprint, then there will be an adjustment period, but trust me... it is worth it, and you will probably also want to adjust your blocking vs block shedding sliders. Far too many players are accustomed to just out running their blocks around the edge to the sideline and call it a day. Far too few players call a pitch/toss play, allow the pulling linemen get out in front and create an alley for you to cut through. The purpose of the toss/pitch/sweep is NOT to get to the sideline, but - as Vince Lombardi taught - "Get a seal here! Get a seal there, and run it down the alley!" Some plays do set up where you do take it all the way to the sideline, but you get a feel for when that happens instead of just forcing it.

Last edited by PGaither84; 10-21-2021 at 12:10 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-21-2021, 12:15 PM   #22
Pro

Ragnar53's Arena

Because of the inability to make the edge rusher be left open in the PS2/Xbox Era without breaking the game, you have to read the 2nd level of the defense instead, in order to run the triple option.

Which meant reading the playside linebacker. If the playside linebacker blitzed, or crashed down, you kept the ball or pitched it depending on how the defender played it once you reached the outside. If the playside linebacker stood up or played zone, you gave the ball to your b back for runs up the middle.

Yes, the complete opposite of how the triple option is read in real life, but thats how you want to adapt if you want to run it with actual principles in 06. You're now just reading the linebackers, instead of the playside edge rusher. Also, I wouldn't worry so much about the auto-motion. A lot of the current triple option teams are going further and further away from utilizing motion as they continue to put thier best athletes at QB. If they do use motion it's to use that A back as a blocker/distraction with a full head of steam to give the QB an option to cut back up the middle and bust one long.

Last edited by Ragnar53; 10-21-2021 at 12:21 PM.
Old 10-21-2021, 12:28 PM   #23
MVP

PGaither84's Arena

OVR: 49

Quote:
I'm not sure how they pulled it off but, to me, there is just something special about NCAA games on PS2. The attention to detail. Actually getting correct and numerous penalty calls (something which I hardly ever get in 14 despite having the penalty sliders jacked up.) PS2's NCAA's presentation is simply unmatched. Not having Corso in the later games really makes it stale. In the PS2 games, I've lowered the RB ability and tackling way down to slow the game down a touch which I think helps as well. And I don't use the sprint button unless in the clear so that blocking matters.

Agreed in full, and I wanted to ask about the part in bold. What settings do you use for these?

I a Boise State Broncos fan, and Ian Johnson has something like 93 break tackle. He was a beast in real life out there. I want to feel life I am running with a dangerous back when they have 90+ break tackle against these student athletes at LB with 78 Tackle and those CBs with 54 tackle.You shouldn't be Super Mario with a Star power, but getting brought down left and right is not a solution either.
Old 10-21-2021, 12:47 PM   #24
Pro

volwalker's Arena

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGaither84
This is true and false at the same time. Sprint is the problem. Do not use the Sprint button, and the game plays like a dream. The pursuit of the LBs is fine, the problem is with the two high safeties who chase the wrong hip WHILE HOLDING SPRINT. Their pursuit is perfect if you are not using sprint. This problem was also the case in Madden 10 on the 360, and EA talked about that during the making of Madden 11. The Sprint button is a hold over from the SNES game that players love but "breaks the game".

Pressing sprint overrides your acceleration rating and you player instantly reached 100% of their maximum speed. Sprint also ignores your stamina rating and allows you to maintain that 100% speed. The developers also said that, in order to compensate for players suddenly pressing sprint, they had to add code for instant block shedding and how it made pursuit angle a challenge - especially as they continued to improve game play and running controls.

"But without sprint, speed doesn't matter as much!" is something I have heard over the years. Wrong. I matters more. Now you NEED guys like Jamaal Charles, Chris Johnson, Jahvid Best, and Darren McFadden. Guys who have 95+ speed (and who all are in NCAA 08). You also need your blockers, good scheme and timing with your play calling.

In my custom sliders, I am messing with RB Ability & run blocking for the user vs the CPU block shedding and tackle sliders to make a very satisfying running experience. The right thumb stick is the "Highlight Stick", which I go in and practice all kinds of moves and when to use them - to see if I am too early, too late or just right. Without using sprint, you can also feel your runner's natural agility and change of direction.

The AI doesn't use sprint, unless the user presses sprint. it is literally an arcade style feature that players love. EA tried to remove it forever in Madden 11 and players HATED them for it, so they brought it back for Madden 12.

Just stop using it and see how much better your experience is. If you have never played without depending on sprint, then there will be an adjustment period, but trust me... it is worth it, and you will probably also want to adjust your blocking vs block shedding sliders. Far too many players are accustomed to just out running their blocks around the edge to the sideline and call it a day. Far too few players call a pitch/toss play, allow the pulling linemen get out in front and create an alley for you to cut through. The purpose of the toss/pitch/sweep is NOT to get to the sideline, but - as Vince Lombardi taught - "Get a seal here! Get a seal there, and run it down the alley!" Some plays do set up where you do take it all the way to the sideline, but you get a feel for when that happens instead of just forcing it.
Good points, not using the speed button makes your job easier in various ways on offense and I can see how one might see less bad pursuit angles from the AI because of it. Poor 08 is plagued with it, but it got a little better in 09.

I just wish 08-11 didn't have major dynasty issues or I would play them more. 06 will always be my favorite but boy I would love to play around with playbooks from the other games.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »