Home

More impressions from MM

This is a discussion on More impressions from MM within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-21-2005, 12:40 AM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 1
More impressions from MM

http://www.maddenmania.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=94451

Great stuff from MM's Hellisan!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-21-2005, 01:40 AM   #2
H*ll *f F*m*

OVR: 28
Re: More impressions from MM

WOW!
Old 05-21-2005, 01:44 AM   #3
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nivek
WOW!
Can someone post some of it here...I really don't feel like registering at MM, unless I have to.
Old 05-21-2005, 01:52 AM   #4
H*ll *f F*m*

OVR: 28

Props to MaddenMania for their great E3 coverage.

Quote:

EA’s focus for 2006: Under the hood

According to Tom Vuong, an assistant producer of NCAA football, EA concentrated on the gameplay this year as they tried to return the game to something akin to the glory days of the 2004 version. Feedback on the 2005 version had been that the game wasn’t as fun in as previous years. Complaints about last season’s game ranged from the widely accepted (too many drops) to the purely asinine (too many fans in the stands with corn rows).

The first step in bringing back NCAA’s appeal was to make the game fun again. The essence of college football is not just in the high scores and pageantry – it’s also about big plays, excitement and the players each team counts on each week.

While playing the game, you will still see players drop the occasional pass. However, overall the problem has been fixed. Shorter passes are generally completed if the receiver has an unimpeded path to the football. But don’t look for perfection.

“They’re still college athletes,” said Tom Vuong. “Guys are gonna make mistakes.”

The NCAA team looked at a variety of instances in which they determined the game play just wasn’t “right.” Take kick returns, for instance. Kick returns were considered to be flawed last year. It wasn’t easy to get many yards on kick returns, and the blocking just didn’t seem right. So, they junked the system. Instead of having the choice of returning to the left, right, or up the middle, the player now only has one choice: kick return. The blocking adjusts to wherever the return man catches the ball, and creates a wedge in front of him. Depending on how other blocks went all over the field, it is up to the player to see the holes that develop and make the big play. This improvement in the form of simplification produced a much more realistic and enjoyable result: returning kicks was fun. I didn’t return one for a touchdown, however I generally looked forward to the chance to make something happen since the blocking “worked” no matter which direction the ball was kicked.

One of the first things a die-hard NCAA fanatic will notice when they pop in the new game is that the computer now has a much better idea of how to run – in any given situation. I was watching StephensonMC play a game when a fast corner on the defense picked him off. Instead of turning around and speed bursting straight into the nearest opposing player, the cornerback made his way up-field and then turned toward a gap in the coverage. He made a quick juke to the outside and then juked back inside, impressively avoiding several opposing players as he returned the interception 68 yards for a touchdown. From my point of view, this was like finding the Holy Grail or something.

“Did the computer really just do that?” I asked. I could picture the cpu A.I. as Adam Sandler in Happy Gilmore:

“The computer learned how to run. UH-OH!”

In addition to running in the right direction and using moves effectively, Vuong said the A.I. is now better able to determine – apart from where the play is designed to run – where the holes are actually opening up, and act accordingly. Thinking this is something that could have been done previously? You’re not alone. But I’m not complaining – this aspect of the game was incredible. The computer will run early and often, and if it has success, it will continue to do so; especially with “impact” running backs. Playing as Iowa against Alabama and a running back that bore a striking resemblance to the Tide’s Ken Darby, Chad Greenway had 8 tackles before halftime. It was beautiful to see the players that should have the ball with the ball, and the players that should be making tackles making the tackles. The beauty in NCAA 2006 is the simplicity of the improvements.

The team has continued the tradition of adding a truckload of new animations each and every year, resulting yet again in a more fluid experience. Each time you run the ball you could see an animation you’ve never seen before. Strong runners like Oklahoma’s Adrian Peterson can careen through traffic with a plethora of new, quicker break-tackle animations that look beautiful and authentic. When you combine all of this with the new run blocking I mentioned in the previous article, it must be said that the running game is the most improved aspect of NCAA 2006.

In addition to catching the great majority of easy throws, receivers will now – according too their awareness rating – take better routes too the football. On hooks your receivers will jump and aggressively go after the ball. On deeper routes, your receiver will react based on where the coverage is. I saw one instance in which the receiver was running a post/flag route and found himself in the void between the cornerback and the safety as a perfect pass was thrown. The receiver was able to catch the ball at its peak and come down between the two. The end result was that he didn’t catch it while running into the safety or come back to where the cornerback could hit him. He caught the pass between the two and was able to then gain additional yards.

“Yards after the catch is something we really focused on this year,” said Vuong.

In the past version of the game it was rare for the receivers to catch a pass underneath and make something big happen. This was a complaint voiced by many a forum member. The team decided to attack this problem on more than one front.

In addition to the aforementioned changes, Vuong made some adjustments to the engine of the game to make the placement of players on the field more realistic. Application of player ratings have been adjusted so that even if a defensive tackle and a linebacker theoretically had equal speed, acceleration and stamina, the defensive tackle would not be able to accelerate as fast or last as long on the play as the running back. The defensive tackle will tire more quickly. Account for these adjustments all over the field, and the result is that there is more separation taking place over the length of plays, both short and long. This equates to space to make cutback moves and possibly not be hit with that second and/or third tackle attempt(s) just as quickly as you break or avoid the first one.

See where they’re going with this? NCAA football is going to be fun again.

A couple other random changes were mentioned as well:

The spin of the football on throws has been improved to make the action look more like that of a real football game. The velocity of the football, which had always appeared to rotate at ¼ the speed of a real throw, has been improved and now looks realistic. Vuong indicated that quarterbacks can now be pressured and throw wobbly passes as well. An additional nagging related item has also been fixed: if you see the quarterback’s arm go forward, the football will now come out in some form or another. No more watching your quarterback try to wing it but get sacked without even a wobbly duck falling into some Johnny-on-the-spot defender’s waiting arms.

Look for more info tonight as Stephenson needs to type up some info on Madden. I was able to play dynasty mode today and took some notes on the new features and changes that were implemented. Thanks for reading.
Old 05-21-2005, 01:58 AM   #5
Hall Of Fame

Nice impressions. The more I read about this game, the more anxious I get to play it.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-21-2005, 05:37 AM   #6
Im The Baby/Gotta Love Me

elicoleman's Arena

OVR: 31

Great read
What I'm Currently Listening To
Old 05-21-2005, 06:25 AM   #7
Banned

OVR: 32

Wow. It was all about gameplay and it sound good. I always felt that special teams has always been the red head step child. I am really looking forward to this game.

Do anyone knows if they expanded their playbook?
Old 05-21-2005, 06:28 AM   #8
H*p H*p 4 H*rs*m*n

BigTigLSU's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by grunt
Wow. It was all about gameplay and it sound good. I always felt that special teams has always been the red head step child. I am really looking forward to this game.

Do anyone knows if they expanded their playbook?

They did say they updated the play book for teams and added new formations I will lok for the link

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »