Home

Overcoming Momentum

This is a discussion on Overcoming Momentum within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-20-2006, 05:17 PM   #25
Hall Of Fame

NoleFan's Arena

OVR: 22
Re: Timeouts & Momentum

Okay, I'm using mizzou79's sliders and I like they challenge they present but for the first time I'm seeing the fumbles everyone has been talking about. I went down 7-10 and fumbled on the KR. They scored and kicked off and I fumbled on that KR as well. I'm now down 7-17 with 4 turnovers...all fumbles. I wasn't doing any special moves or anything. I'll admit though...the 3rd fumble wouldn't been overturned had I challenged the play before I watch the replay but still...he dropped the ball.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-20-2006, 05:25 PM   #26
I'm not on InstantFace.

Cardot's Arena

Re: Timeouts & Momentum

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoleFan
Okay, I'm using mizzou79's sliders and I like they challenge they present but for the first time I'm seeing the fumbles everyone has been talking about. I went down 7-10 and fumbled on the KR. They scored and kicked off and I fumbled on that KR as well. I'm now down 7-17 with 4 turnovers...all fumbles. I wasn't doing any special moves or anything. I'll admit though...the 3rd fumble wouldn't been overturned had I challenged the play before I watch the replay but still...he dropped the ball.
I think the fumble problems tie into the Momentum feature. Combine that with JTS and it is magnified.

Kind of like the CPU perfect kickers probably being tied to the new kicking mechanism that no one asked for.
Old 09-20-2006, 06:47 PM   #27
MVP

TWOSILK's Arena

OVR: 19
Re: Overcoming Momentum

momentum= great idea because if you watch college football it does seem to have big shifts in momentum, poorly implimented (sp?) a opening drive touchdown should not put you in a dominant position for the rest of the game.
Momentum can be overcome, especially if you forget that meter is there, because like cardot said, when you see you are losing the momentum battle, you get really conservative, and are afraid to take chances. and yes the cpu does play better, but i dont think it cheats with momentum, you just have to play smarter, because they are not going to miss too many chances to bury you. but one good methodical drive and you are right back in the game, the momentum feature i am convinced is a head trip more than actually figuring in the game.
Old 09-20-2006, 06:50 PM   #28
MVP

OVR: 12

it's a bad feature, but in a few ways, i do like it.

its not THAT bad. however, they should tone it down a little bit.. it's ridiculous sometimes. but overall, i like it.
Old 09-20-2006, 07:58 PM   #29
I'm not on InstantFace.

Cardot's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by TWOSILK
momentum= great idea because if you watch college football it does seem to have big shifts in momentum, poorly implimented (sp?) a opening drive touchdown should not put you in a dominant position for the rest of the game.
I agree Silk. I think +5 Momentum comes too easily, too often and lasts for too long. In real college football, if a team gets momentum and the crowd is all riled up, it usually just takes a first down or two by the opponent to simmer everything down.
Old 09-21-2006, 08:59 AM   #30
ehh
Hall Of Fame

ehh's Arena

OVR: 44

Last night was probably the worst case of momentum that I've ever seen. My roomate is #6 ND playing at #3 USC in 2011.

USC gets the ball first, comes down and scores a TD on a nice drive and has full momentum. They go on to destroy my roomate, he can't do a thing on offense (especially run) and has no prayer of stopping their offense. It's 33-0 at the half.

He gets the ball to start the 2nd half and USC has a little less than half their momentum bar full. My roomate comes down and scores a TD to make it 33-7. He now has full momentum somehow. USC goes on to have five three-and-outs in the second half and my roomate tallies up 175 rushing yards in the second half after having (-3) in the first half. With under a minute to go he ties the game at 33 (he went for a 2-pt conversion earlier on and failed) and the game goes into OT. USC wins the toss and picks defense obviously. My roomate scores a TD and kicks the PAT and has full momentum. Now USC scores after a few short plays to tie up and they take full momentum. Then on the second possesion they throw an insane TD pass in the back left corner of the endzone where their stud WR was double teamed and made a leaping catch while dragging his left foot inbounds at the last second. Naturally since they had full momentum neither of my boy's DB's even lifted a hand to try and knock down the ball.

So now USC has a 47-40 lead and my roomate has the ball. He calls a play from his shotgun formation and USC blitzes. His 98 overall LT gets steamrolled by a linebacker who comes in and slams his QB who fumbles the ball and USC recovers, winning the game.

It was idiotic, the momentum swings were so huge. You should rarely get your momentum bar more than halfway full. As others have said - great idea, but poorly implicated.

I really never noticed how bad it was. I think I'm going to give NCAA a break for a while. I'll try Madden for a week since my roomate bought it, then I'm sure it'll be back to 2k5 like usual.

"Beware of geeks bearing formulas." - Warren Buffet
Old 09-21-2006, 09:14 AM   #31
Cade Cunningham

rudyjuly2's Arena

OVR: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehh
So now USC has a 47-40 lead and my roomate has the ball. He calls a play from his shotgun formation and USC blitzes. His 98 overall LT gets steamrolled by a linebacker who comes in and slams his QB who fumbles the ball and USC recovers, winning the game.
I don't think that was momentum in this case. That was probably due to jump the snap which is worse than momentum imo. I think you still play on Heisman and the CPU abuses jump the snap quite a bit on that level, routinely running over better players.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-21-2006, 09:38 AM   #32
ehh
Hall Of Fame

ehh's Arena

OVR: 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudyjuly2
I don't think that was momentum in this case. That was probably due to jump the snap which is worse than momentum imo. I think you still play on Heisman and the CPU abuses jump the snap quite a bit on that level, routinely running over better players.
I've played on AA for a while. And it wasn't jump the snap cause it was an LB blitzing who didn't start right up at the line of scrimmage.

Could have been momentum, maybe not. Either way it was kinda corny because before my roomate started that 2nd OT possession we both looked at each other and said "You know you're gonna lose this game on a fumble right here." Sure enough, on the next play it happened.

"Beware of geeks bearing formulas." - Warren Buffet

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »