Home

Split National Title?

This is a discussion on Split National Title? within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-18-2006, 05:06 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 3
Split National Title?

Has anyone ever seen the national title split in any of their dynasty seasons?
I've played around with manipulating the games and it seems its possible.

At the end of a season with only Week 3 & 4 left of bowl games:

Coaches Poll:

1. Florida (12-1)
2. Texas (12-1)
3. West Virgina (12-0)

Media Poll:

1. Florida (12-1) 37 first place votes
2. West Virginia (12-0) 22 first place votes
3. Texas (12-1)

I had West Virgina win their bowl game so they would be 13-0. I made Texas beat Florida in the National Title game and this is how the polls turned out:

Coaches Poll:

1. Texas (13-1) 61 first place votes (all)
2. West Virginia (13-0)
3. Florida (12-2)

Media Poll:

1. West Virginia (13-0) 61 first place votes (all)
2. Texas (13-1)
3. Florida (12-2)

When it goes to the cover magazine at the end of the season it says:

"The Peoples Champ" Texas is your disputed National Champions.

In the Final Standings on the cover it said "Scandal Brewing" lol.

Just wondering if anyone else has had this happen playing a regular season.

Also another note, it seems it will not say if there are Co Champs of a conference. I had Wisconsin and Ohio State go undefeated in the Big 10 and it just had OSU as the "Big Ten Champs", nothing under Wisconsin (until Ohio State won the National Championship, the it had Big 10 Champs under Wisconsin.)
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-18-2006, 06:12 PM   #2
Rookie

mierk's Arena

OVR: 4
Re: Split National Title?

I posted about a similar situation awhile back, here's the post:

Quote:
So I've been ranked #1 all year and locked up my spot in the title game in my 2nd dynasty season. However, there's a battle for #2 between 12-0 West Virginia and 11-1 LSU going into conference championship weekend. #3 LSU beats #9 South Carolina in the SEC title game...and leapfrogs undefeated WVU for the title game berth, despite being ranked behind them in both polls, and not collecting a single 1st place vote (all of which were split between me and the Mountaineers.) WVU goes on to win their bowl game against unranked NC State (who upset #6 Virginia Tech in the ACC championship) and finish 13-0 and ranked #2 for the 2nd year in a row, after I beat them in the title game the year before. Gotta think there were plenty of virtual couches aflame in Morgantown!
Old 10-18-2006, 08:47 PM   #3
Rookie

irishnole007's Arena

OVR: 1

I had a split national championship, if you can call it that in this game. A year after going undefeated and winning the national championship I went 12-1 with FSU with my one loss being week one against #2 USC in week 1. I ended up beating undefeated Tennesee in the BCS championship game, while West Virginia went 12-0, won their bowl game and finished second in the final poll. I thought this was pretty realistic due to the uncertainty of the BCS system and the weak conference schedule WVU has.
Old 10-19-2006, 10:40 AM   #4
MVP

OVR: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishnole007
I had a split national championship, if you can call it that in this game. A year after going undefeated and winning the national championship I went 12-1 with FSU with my one loss being week one against #2 USC in week 1. I ended up beating undefeated Tennesee in the BCS championship game, while West Virginia went 12-0, won their bowl game and finished second in the final poll. I thought this was pretty realistic due to the uncertainty of the BCS system and the weak conference schedule WVU has.
This is not a split title unless WVU finished #1 in the media poll. Winning the title game guarantees 1st place in the coaches' poll. That's what happened in 2003 with LSU winning the title game but USC finishing #1 in the media poll.
Old 10-19-2006, 11:42 AM   #5
ehh
Hall Of Fame

ehh's Arena

OVR: 44

My buddy just went 13-0 with Notre Dame in 2015. However, #1 Colorodo (14-0) beat #2 VaTech (13-1) in the National Title game.

There wasn't a split title which is odd, cause my buddy blew out everyone cept for one game. He was not happy, we're 10 years into our dynasty and he's still titleless!

"Beware of geeks bearing formulas." - Warren Buffet
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-19-2006, 06:45 PM   #6
Rookie

irishnole007's Arena

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by spectralfan
This is not a split title unless WVU finished #1 in the media poll. Winning the title game guarantees 1st place in the coaches' poll. That's what happened in 2003 with LSU winning the title game but USC finishing #1 in the media poll.
I believe that West Virginia did finish 1st in the media poll, because I got th same "The People's champion" ESPN Cover as the original poster did.
Old 10-19-2006, 07:02 PM   #7
All Star

bkfount's Arena

OVR: 21

I'm undefeated and ranked #3 in the poll, but in the #2 spot in the BCS polls. The ESPN magazine has already had headlines about a possibly controversy. It's kinda cool. Also, Boise State is undefeated and is ranked like 8. It keep saying how they're pissed off...lol

I've only got one game left, then the bowl game I get put into. So there's still time for it to sort out if the #2 team loses.
Old 10-19-2006, 08:58 PM   #8
NL MVP

Sportsforever's Arena

OVR: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by mizzou79
Has anyone ever seen the national title split in any of their dynasty seasons?
I've played around with manipulating the games and it seems its possible.

At the end of a season with only Week 3 & 4 left of bowl games:

Coaches Poll:

1. Florida (12-1)
2. Texas (12-1)
3. West Virgina (12-0)

Media Poll:

1. Florida (12-1) 37 first place votes
2. West Virginia (12-0) 22 first place votes
3. Texas (12-1)

I had West Virgina win their bowl game so they would be 13-0. I made Texas beat Florida in the National Title game and this is how the polls turned out:

Coaches Poll:

1. Texas (13-1) 61 first place votes (all)
2. West Virginia (13-0)
3. Florida (12-2)

Media Poll:

1. West Virginia (13-0) 61 first place votes (all)
2. Texas (13-1)
3. Florida (12-2)

When it goes to the cover magazine at the end of the season it says:

"The Peoples Champ" Texas is your disputed National Champions.

In the Final Standings on the cover it said "Scandal Brewing" lol.

Just wondering if anyone else has had this happen playing a regular season.

Also another note, it seems it will not say if there are Co Champs of a conference. I had Wisconsin and Ohio State go undefeated in the Big 10 and it just had OSU as the "Big Ten Champs", nothing under Wisconsin (until Ohio State won the National Championship, the it had Big 10 Champs under Wisconsin.)
I had this happen in NCAA 2004. Same SI covers that you just mentioned...I was #1 in one poll with a 13-1 record and someone (I can't remember) was undefeated and #1 in the other poll.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »