Home

POLL: What's the best overall version of "current" generation NCAA Football?

This is a discussion on POLL: What's the best overall version of "current" generation NCAA Football? within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?
View Poll Results: What's the best overall version of "current" generation NCAA Football?
NCAA Football 07 80 63.49%
NCAA Football 06 15 11.90%
NCAA Football 2005 4 3.17%
NCAA Football 2004 21 16.67%
NCAA Football 2003 4 3.17%
NCAA Football 2002 2 1.59%
Voters: 126. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-13-2006, 03:47 AM   #9
Cade Cunningham

rudyjuly2's Arena

OVR: 75
Re: POLL: What's the best overall version of "current" generation NCAA Football?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nxt
It's funny that you made this poll because I've recently gone back to playing NCAA 06. In fact, I have NCAA 07 on both PS2 (too many turnovers) and 360 (incomplete) and find myself back playing NCAA 06 on PS2.
I gave 06 to my nephew and played against my brother when I flew out to visit about a month ago. It was really nice not to have to worry about momentum, there was no jump the snap garbage and the kicking system was so much better. Fumbles weren't as big an issue either so a lot of things were better in '06.

However, the human running game was just too easy on AA in '06. You had to severely reduce RBA to produce realistic results which made it no fun for me. The option and rollouts were too effective on AA as well. When I jumped to Heisman, it would play well but the CPU pass defense was extremely tough making the short passing game brutal. The short passing game is much better in '07, it has a more realistic run game where guards actually pull, better DB play particularly on the deep ball, fixed sim stats and pancake stats which don't result in monster OL everywhere on your roster and tougher recruiting imo. For these reasons, I prefer '07 despite the fact I don't like a lot of the new features.

Last edited by rudyjuly2; 11-13-2006 at 08:58 AM.
Old 11-13-2006, 10:19 AM   #10
ehh
Hall Of Fame

ehh's Arena

OVR: 44
Re: POLL: What's the best overall version of "current" generation NCAA Football?

'07 by a long shot.

'04 was a ton of fun and I played it a lot, but without rotating conference schedules the game got old pretty quickly in dynasty-mode even though I played 11 seasons. Plus recruiting was easy as heck back then, you could land 20+ five-star guys year in and year out once you were a powerhouse.

The juke and spin move were also way to effective and it was incredibly easy to run to the outside compared to '07 and there were far too many money plays (especially posts and drags).

'05 was awful and the WR glitch in '06 on Xbox ruined that game for me.

"Beware of geeks bearing formulas." - Warren Buffet
Old 11-13-2006, 12:55 PM   #11
nxt
H**sm*n

nxt's Arena

OVR: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudyjuly2
It was really nice not to have to worry about momentum, there was no jump the snap garbage and the kicking system was so much better. Fumbles weren't as big an issue either so a lot of things were better in '06.
Rudy, these are the main reasons that I like '06 better. I'm playing on Heisman with adjusted sliders that help with the issues that you've mentioned with running game, etc. The only thing is that fast QBs are too fast (but this is an issue on both '06 and '07, so I never use or pick up scramblers).

As for '07, I think the momentum system causes too many turnovers, I never use jump the snap, and the kicking game is too easy on '07 version. I also like the old kick meter better, unless EA can come up with some way to make the new system challenging (btw, on the 360 the wind has no effect at all). Other things that irk me about '07 are the unsportsmanlike conduct penalties that are thrown after the celebration cut-scenes (fixable by lowering this penalty), the roughing the kicker penalty (fixable by choosing anything but field goal block), and the camera angle for punt/kick returns.

The thing that I really like about '07 though is the larger playbooks, new formations, and ability to choose what type of defensive playbook (4-3, 3-4, etc.).
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-13-2006, 01:21 PM   #12
Cade Cunningham

rudyjuly2's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by nxt
I also like the old kick meter better, unless EA can come up with some way to make the new system challenging (btw, on the 360 the wind has no effect at all). Other things that irk me about '07 are the unsportsmanlike conduct penalties that are thrown after the celebration cut-scenes (fixable by lowering this penalty), the roughing the kicker penalty (fixable by choosing anything but field goal block), and the camera angle for punt/kick returns.
They should go back to the old kicking system OR at least add a drift to the direction arrow like 2K5 had to make it harder. Better kickers would have a slower drifting arrow and hopefully the CPU will actually miss field goals in '08!

I turned my unsporstmanlike penalty slider to 0 and rough the kicker to 10 to get rid of the excessive penalties. I don't really like the camera angle either but I've gotten used to it.

Maybe they will fix these new features (at least let us turn them off) so that '08 will be the best of both worlds.
Old 11-15-2006, 06:30 PM   #13
MVP

spit_bubble's Arena

OVR: 27

I'm surprised 07 is getting so many votes. I guess other people didn't mind momentum and jump the snap as much as me.

I recently went back to playing 06, and while it's not perfect, it's much more satisfying to me.

What a great series overall though, a great portrayal of the sport that has, for the most part, evolved at nicely.
Old 11-20-2006, 05:49 PM   #14
Banned

OVR: 14

Quote:
They should go back to the old kicking system OR at least add a drift to the direction arrow like 2K5 had to make it harder. Better kickers would have a slower drifting arrow and hopefully the CPU will actually miss field goals in '08!

I turned my unsporstmanlike penalty slider to 0 and rough the kicker to 10 to get rid of the excessive penalties. I don't really like the camera angle either but I've gotten used to it.

Maybe they will fix these new features (at least let us turn them off) so that '08 will be the best of both worlds.
that drifting arrow makes no sence to me . the guys foot isnt shakeing loosely when he kicks it . I think the anolog kicking is all right . that said , i still prefer useing -x- when batting in baseball
Old 11-20-2006, 08:01 PM   #15
Cade Cunningham

rudyjuly2's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram29jackson
that drifting arrow makes no sence to me . the guys foot isnt shakeing loosely when he kicks it . I think the anolog kicking is all right . that said , i still prefer useing -x- when batting in baseball
I'm just offering suggestions to improve it. The analog kicking is way too easy - you never miss unless kicking from the hash. Kickers in NCAA only make 55% of their kicks from beyond 40 yards yet the analog stick makes it easy to hit 100% of them in the video game. The CPU never misses either. The kicking engine is completely broken and you have to do something to add a challenge and make it more realistic from a results perspective.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-21-2006, 09:43 AM   #16
#HTownTakeover #YWCF

coogrfan's Arena

OVR: 27

Quote:
I'm just offering suggestions to improve it. The analog kicking is way too easy - you never miss unless kicking from the hash. Kickers in NCAA only make 55% of their kicks from beyond 40 yards yet the analog stick makes it easy to hit 100% of them in the video game. The CPU never misses either. The kicking engine is completely broken and you have to do something to add a challenge and make it more realistic from a results perspective.
I miss kicks all the time. Either I really suck at kicking (a definite possibility), or you aren't using the kind of C- kicker I'm stuck with at UH.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »