Home

What is YOUR review of NCAA 2008?

This is a discussion on What is YOUR review of NCAA 2008? within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?
View Poll Results: What grade do you give NCAA '08 for 360?
9.5-10 12 4.65%
9.0-9.4 54 20.93%
8.5-8.9 90 34.88%
8.0-8.4 54 20.93%
7.5-7.9 22 8.53%
7.0-7.4 12 4.65%
6.5-6.9 4 1.55%
6.0-6.4 3 1.16%
5.0-5.9 5 1.94%
0.0-4.9 2 0.78%
Voters: 258. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-24-2007, 10:28 AM   #9
ehh
Hall Of Fame

ehh's Arena

OVR: 44
Re: What is YOUR review of NCAA 2008?

I think this is the first EA football game where you actually need to pay attention and think before each and every play. In the past you could wing it or just call a play or not really pay full attention and for the most part be okay in the long run.

You can't do that in '08. You have to audible a good amount, you have to call a ton of hot routes, you need to stay consistent with a running attack and you need to call plenty of PA-passes.

Overall I think the game is pretty damn good, but now that I've started my dynasty I don't play more than one game per day. If I try to sit down for a marathon my attention will drift by the second or third game, I'll start making crappy decisions and then come on OS and rant about some interception issue. I definitely have seen the issues with lob passes on medium-range passes (short and long are fine, IMO) so I made a few adjustments and I'm fine.

Dynasty is fun as hell like usual and I should stay plenty entertained by this game until College Hoops comes out.

"Beware of geeks bearing formulas." - Warren Buffet
Old 07-24-2007, 10:29 AM   #10
MVP

johnnyg83's Arena

OVR: 9

I gave it a five too ... PS3. I doubt I'll play it again after 6 games in dynasty and 6 in legend.

Most of my issues are gameplay.

The excessive interceptions, awful passing game beyond 15 yards, sliders which don't seem to affect anything, two uniform choices, defense where my high-rated DE could never get by a low-rated 1-AA OT and AI pass defense that can knock passes down from 5-10 yards away from the receiver and pass trajectory physics that are miscalculated make this game a huge disappointment to me.

Maybe I graded it harder b/c my expectations were high, but when you have a 88 rated QB throwing 6 INTS against East Carolina with the AI INT slider at 0 it ruined the game for me.
Old 07-24-2007, 10:39 AM   #11
Rookie

OVR: 3

I think the gameplay is tight and overall the game is great. I give it an 8.2. Some things that are really annoying are: 1. TERRIBLE UI It takes FOREVER to change your depth chart, navigate menus, recruit in dynasty. The user interface is absolutely pitiful for something produced by a company like EA. 2. CUT SCENES When someone scores a touchdown they are just sitting there by themselves jumping around. Why don't their teammates rush in to celebrate, why do we never see the coach or the sidelines celebrate? When someone is injured they just lay there. Where is the medical staff, concerned teammates etc. This is 2007, you would think we would have this kind of stuff standard by now. 3. CROWD & ATMOSPHERE Pretty much speaks for itself. The crowd only looks good from very far away and they don't know how to respond appropriately to the action on the field. On top of that, at Syracuse I am averaging 32,000 fans per game yet when I am actually playing the game every single seat in the 50,000 seat Carrier Dome is filled. The atmosphere is terrible too. Feels nothing like a college game. No players taking the field, cheerleaders, etc.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-24-2007, 10:52 AM   #12
Pro

OVR: 5

I gave it a 7.0.

Dynasty is much improved. The added animations are really welcomed.

But graphically the game still doesn't measure up to me. I hate the glossiness of the uniforms, totally hate the Seg Genisis sidelines, and fans in the stands. The presentation has gotten so stale and needs a huge upgrade as well.

Trust me I don't hate the game. But I am tired of mediocrity, especially when we are in the next generation of gaming, and paying $400-$600 dollars for consoles, and $60 dollars a pop for games now. I want a game that not only plays well, but looks extremely good doing so.

I want a game with all the trimmings! FULL ESPN INTERGRATION, with stat overlays, menus, and espn personalities. Not just tickers, espn news, and links to espn.com. It's time for this game to move from being good, and achieve the greatness that is NCAA College Football!
Old 07-24-2007, 10:54 AM   #13
It's about that time

greenegt's Arena

OVR: 16

I give it a 9 (360 version). Despite its faults, the game is fun to play and the improvements over last year's version are obvious. There's plenty of bang for your $60, here. I agree that presentation is where EA really needs to step up, going forward.

PSN: OGMeanGreene

Twitter: @greenegt
Old 07-24-2007, 11:28 AM   #14
Live Action, please?

jfsolo's Arena

OVR: 20

I'd go along with IGN's numerical value of 8.3. My deductions though only come from gameplay, A.I., and C.P.U. recruiting/roster management.

Graphics and presentation could stay the same for the rest of this generation and I'd be more than fine with that.

C.P.U offensive A.I. still has flaws, that haven't been fixed for several years now.

Still too many occurrences of bumper car tackling.

C.P.U. still under/over recruits certain positions, and starts 65 Ovr. RE's while having a 80 Ovr. LE as his back up.

Solid gameplay, strong Dynasty mode, great fun. I'm very happy with this effort this year.

Do this today: Instead of $%*#!@& on a game you're not going to play or movie you're not going to watch, say something good about a piece of media you're excited about.

Do the same thing tomorrow. And the next. Now do it forever.
Old 07-24-2007, 12:08 PM   #15
MVP

devilsjaw's Arena

OVR: 27

I voted 8.5 - 8.9. My only gripe is when going through the depth charts, it is a painstakingly slow process.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-24-2007, 12:25 PM   #16
Pro

OVR: 5

PS2 8.0
It has a good beat and is easy to dance too.

I know the thread was 360, but I put in my 2 cents. PS2 essentially the same game. Fun, but basically the same.
I have been a Playstation gamer since psone around 2001 so I have a lot of games and didn't want to switch to Xbox. I guess this is the first year on PS3 and it seems there are some differences. Campus Legend starting as a HS senior in the P/O and recruiting. I guess its time to move to the next gen.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »