Home

Will NCAA 2010 catch up to NCAA 2000?

This is a discussion on Will NCAA 2010 catch up to NCAA 2000? within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-12-2008, 02:45 AM   #17
Banned

OVR: 14
Re: Will NCAA 2010 catch up to NCAA 2000?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MassNole
Okay lets start off with the parameters here. Yes, graphics have improved 10000%, I don't think anyone could or would dispute that. The game play is better as well, perhaps not has improved as it could be, but it is improved.

Now comes to the bread and butter of the game, the dynasty and game play features. This is where NCAA 2000 is still ahead of the current series. In NCAA 2000 we had the following features.
  1. Concurrent Division 1A/1AA Dynasties
    Yes, you could take a D1-AA team in Dynasty mode and play along with the big boys. You competed for the same recruits and D1-AA even had its own Top 10. I'll admit recruiting was busted as I recall Bethune Cookman bringing in 3 of the top 10 players one year.
    Now lets fast forward to 2009/10. We now have transfers, this could be implemented into the game nicely as players could transfer down a level with no penalty. With teams having the ability to jump conferences, teams could jump into D1-A (FBS).
  2. 24-32 Team Tournament or Bowl Games, you choose!
    Okay lets be fair to EA, the NCAA may be the guilty party here in not allowing this, but nonetheless it was an awesome feature. I believe 24 to 32 teams made a tournament at the end of the year and you played through at the end of the season. As it progressed the games actually started to get difficult.
  3. Create a Play
    You could create somewhere between 3-6 plays to put in your playbook. The designs came from pre-designed routes and formations, so it still wasn't as deep as Football Pro but was solid enough. Today this feature could be absolutely sick, but alas EA would rather give us Campus Legend and Mascot Games.
  4. Better Custom Schedules
    Sure we still can do this today, but it just isn't the same. On the PS1, yes the PS1 you had the option of scheduling an OOC game and selecting the stadium it would be played in, which of course included bowl games. So instead of FSU-Alabama in Doak Campbell, it could be scheduled for Alltel Stadium ahead of time. It also had several NFL stadiums like the Vet and the Meadowlands.
    Today this could be implemented with recruiting to use as a means to get exposure in another part of the country. Say I am USC, I could schedule a game in the Cotton Bowl to get exposure in Texas.
    In another feature you could basically make yourself an independent by removing conference games from your schedule. You could also rearrange your conference games if you wanted to, and you could do this for every single team. So if you say wanted Florida and Miami to rekindle their once year rivalry, you could do so. You get sick of Notre Dame beating up on the Service Academies, well change their schedule. I know this can basically be done today, but not with the ease this was done.
So what do you think, will we ever see a game as complete as it once was, or will we keep dealing with a few table scraps and whatever garbage marketing comes up with.
There should be an option to set the type of overtime that occurs. There should be an option to have games be declared a draw if tied at the end of a game. There should also be an option to have draws during the regular season, but a full extra period of overtime in bowl games. If the user wanted draws in regular season, but full period of overtime in conference championship games and bowl games, that should be an option, too.

There should also be an option to play through college football the way it was pre-BCS with the coalition voting into the bowls. I am talking about no BCS. I am talking about college football where the Big Ten and Pac 10 were in the Rose bowl every year and after the bowl games (based on differential and overall record with draws), the coalition would vote for the national champion. (which should be based upon point differential among other things)

Last edited by PSU_DW2; 03-12-2008 at 02:48 AM.
Old 03-14-2008, 11:33 PM   #18
MVP

stoncold32's Arena

OVR: 17

I'd be more than happy if they just brought the "East/West" all-star game back.

Geez, is it that hard to do?

It really added to the fun of teh game when you could actually use and play against players from other teams who may have won the Heisman, or were great players during the season.
Old 03-15-2008, 09:07 PM   #19
MVP

fantasysportsguy's Arena

OVR: 10

By 2010? Yeah, probably.

It just makes me shake my head. EA should be ashamed of themselves for selling us crap that costs $60, that has a feature set that is much less than what we had on a system that was what.....5% as powerful as the PS3/360? Only EA fellas, only EA.

It's big business though isn't it? Charge more, give the customer less.
Old 03-16-2008, 11:38 AM   #20
Love Celtic, Hate Racism

CeltBhoy33's Arena

OVR: 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Husker_OS
One of the PS1 games had dynamic attendance. As the game became a blowout, the crowd would leave at the end of the 3rd quarter. It was sweet.
Yeah, that is what i miss on the last gen games. And if your team is horrible like Temple or something there would barely be a crowd there. I miss that and the div.2 tames the most.
Old 03-16-2008, 06:27 PM   #21
Rookie

OVR: 9

Maybe if I ever pick up a modded PSP I will throw on one these PS1 games onto there and play it on the go. I couldn't see my self playing it now though.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-16-2008, 08:54 PM   #22
Rookie

Malignant's Arena

OVR: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by slickzeus
yeah i used to love the feature that the ncaa games used to have that fans would leave in the 4th quarter as the game became a blowout. Let's just say that my Hurricanes cleared out alot of stadiums...haha I miss those days...
I love this feature as well, although fortunately for me I'm still playing NCAA 2004 with Tulsa. Below is a screenshot from the 4th quarter whilst I was being blown out by Arkansas State.

Old 03-22-2008, 01:54 AM   #23
Rookie

ryan's Arena

OVR: 1

you're 100% right.....my alma mater has games in different cities every year and some games are always in neutral sites....I used to love moving games around like that in the old playstation days...

we even had our own I-AA stadiums and the movement of rivalries kept an accurate schedule....with all this modern technology we've taken 10 steps back...
Old 03-22-2008, 02:16 AM   #24
Th* ******

Spectre's Arena

OVR: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malignant
I love this feature as well, although fortunately for me I'm still playing NCAA 2004 with Tulsa. Below is a screenshot from the 4th quarter whilst I was being blown out by Arkansas State.

Damn, what a classic game. I don't think I've played any game as much as NCAA 03 and 04. Alas, I think my passion for console sports gaming is basically gone now.

I created my college and used to love playing in front of nobody initially. It was awesome.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »