Home

On the Fence About NCAA Football 09

This is a discussion on On the Fence About NCAA Football 09 within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-14-2008, 03:04 PM   #17
Rookie

OVR: 3
Re: On the Fence About NCAA Football 09

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDofBA
Why don't people realize that there weren't any glitches with Tecmo Bowl because it was really simple software. It wasn't advanced at all. If they game came out today it would be ripped to shreds. Weren't there only like two formations and 8 plays in that game?

If it weren't for the internet, I wouldn't worry about half of these glitches. I would name OU's roster, a few stud players, and maybe the top 25 teams and be on my way.

People read up on things and start hating the game before it ever comes out. While I do think that some of the complaints are valid, in some ways the game doesn't stand a chance.

This game is better then Tecmo bowl, trust me.

Again, games aren't fun today because people find every little thing that is wrong with them and then they spend more time looking for bugs then actually enjoying the game.
I agree 100%. The simple fact of the matter is that every game will have some kind of flaws or glitches. Every game does. How big, or "game breaking" those are varies. No game is perfect, but we shouldn't completely destroy a game based on a forum post.
Old 07-14-2008, 03:08 PM   #18
Rookie

Illcat's Arena

OVR: 3

I am still very amped to get my hands on this game!

The demo got me hyped, the impressions and videos made me salivate, the roster stuff was sort of a downer but, I'll be there at midnight to quench my thirst for a football fix.
Old 07-14-2008, 03:09 PM   #19
ehh
Hall Of Fame

ehh's Arena

OVR: 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Illcat
But, this is the world of a sports games and I accept it because "all the classic games had glaring issues; from Tecmo Bowl to the 2K series these games had huge flaws but we were able to still enjoy the games." IMO, NCAA will be no different.
True, but there is a difference between glitches and game play limitations.

The basic game play of Tecmo Bowl was ridiculous - have defenders that were 10x faster than your WR/RB and even FASTER if they were far behind you so they could always catch up, instead of defensive plays you tried to pick the O's play and if you guessed it right it was a jail break, etc.

Could you imagine if you had to juke the same defender four times in NCAA 09 like you had to in Tecmo Bowl?

I mean it's as far from realistic as you could get BUT the game did not have large glitches. Tecmo chose to create a crazy interpretation of the NFL and executed it as intended.

"Beware of geeks bearing formulas." - Warren Buffet
Old 07-14-2008, 03:09 PM   #20
B**m*r S**n*r!

BigDofBA's Arena

OVR: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeseenBurrito
I agree 100%. The simple fact of the matter is that every game will have some kind of flaws or glitches. Every game does. How big, or "game breaking" those are varies. No game is perfect, but we shouldn't completely destroy a game based on a forum post.
No kidding. Old games like Tecmo bowl were fun because people didn't pick them apart before they were released. Seriously, if Tecmo bowl was released today people would hate it.

Still, there are some valid complaints. This roster thing is valid. I hope EA patches it quickly or we find out what the problem is.

I am sick of hearing that we are going to get alternate uniforms or patches to fix problems and then they are never released or released after the season is over.
NFL - Dallas Cowboys
NBA - Oklahoma City Thunder
Old 07-14-2008, 03:12 PM   #21
All Star

SoxFan01605's Arena

OVR: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDofBA
Why don't people realize that there weren't any glitches with Tecmo Bowl because it was really simple software. It wasn't advanced at all. If they game came out today it would be ripped to shreds. Weren't there only like two formations and 8 plays in that game?

If it weren't for the internet, I wouldn't worry about half of these glitches. I would name OU's roster, a few stud players, and maybe the top 25 teams and be on my way.

People read up on things and start hating the game before it ever comes out. While I do think that some of the complaints are valid, in some ways the game doesn't stand a chance.

This game is better then Tecmo bowl, trust me.

Again, games aren't fun today because people find every little thing that is wrong with them and then they spend more time looking for bugs then actually enjoying the game.
This is so true. I've been guilty of this myself. Here a game get ripped to shreds and start to notice things I wouldn't normally. I remember when The Show 08 first came out...there were twenty or so pages of glitches in a matter of a few hours (many of them repeated). The 2K8 forum was alive with "look at how glitched The Show is...no way I'm buying that garbage" type threads. All this without laying their own hands on a game. What ever happened to giving a game a try and seeing if YOU like it? In the end, there is a give and take with sites like OS. I, personally, can't imagine not having some of the great resources I've gained from this site (Knight's roster edits for The Show come to mind)...but you have to take some of the criticisms and praises you read on here with a grain of salt and decide for yourself.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-14-2008, 03:14 PM   #22
Hall Of Fame

SoMiss2000's Arena

OVR: 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phobia
I agree. I remember playing football games because they were fun as hell to play. Now I find myself nitpickin every little thing about sports titles.

I think this happened for most of us when sports games made the jump from being blotchs on the screen to more detail realistic games. At that point we have wanted more more more more more and this has caused us to loss sight that just 10 years ago we were watching a little blue blob named thurman thomas running for the bills. We had three different running animations, left right and striaght. It was simple and that made us accept the illusion of it being "football".

Now we can see just by looking at someone through the face mask who they are. See the beads of sweet run down their face ect. We wonder why can't we do everything that the real people do on sundays.

I think we need to back away for a sec and just enjoy the game.
CHURCH!!!

Currently Listening: The D.O.C.: No One Can Do It Better (evidence that rap music used to be good!)
Old 07-14-2008, 03:14 PM   #23
ehh
Hall Of Fame

ehh's Arena

OVR: 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeseenBurrito
I guarantee that if you go back and play Tecmo Bowl for an extended period of time, you will find some kind of glitch.
That's the beauty of it, I played it when it came out (along with many others on here) and don't recall any BIG glitches.

The fact that I would have to go back and look for a glitch is a testament itself, ask most regulars on here and they'll be able to list every big glitch from the last seven years in the NCAA series.

BigDofA, I'm not saying Tecmo Bowl is better by any means, just using it as an example of an old favorite versus the games of today.

"Beware of geeks bearing formulas." - Warren Buffet
Old 07-14-2008, 03:15 PM   #24
MVP

OVR: 34
I agree 100%.

The "next gen" sports games are not nearly as enjoyable to me as the sports games of the previous generation.

I have a wii, so I will pop in thos old games. NBA Live 05, NCAA 04-06, MVP Baseball '05, etc..

There's just something fundamentally "off" with the approach to the current gen sports titles. There's a very simple reason why I enjoyed the wii version of Madden 08, better then all of the next gen sports games.

It's because its AI is based off of the old gen engine, which was superior and more complete.

Developers seem to be more concerned with making the games look like a Television Broadcast, as opposed to getting fundemental aspects of the sports correctly.

simple example: I was playing NBa Live 05, and ran a isolation play with Kobe Bryant at the top of the key, 2 trips down the floor in a row. The 3rd time, the CPU adjusted and trapped the play, forcing me to give up the ball.

In the bright and shiny NBA 2k8, I can call that play each and every time down the floor with impunity.

Madden 08 for the wii, I am able to slide protect, a feature that is just now making its way back into the madden game.

I want to PLAY the game, just as much as I want to watch it, but Im going to grow old if the game feels like a dummied down version of the sports I love in favor of bright and shiny graphics.

These games have no charm or personality.

My favorite thing about the past gen NCAA were the stadium enterances, seeing notre dame palyers tap the "play like a champion" today, The hurricanes running through the smoke, the fan pulse and the shots of my players warming up on the field, Herbstriet doing a breakdown of the star player, with a stat overlay.

The post game of the players celebrating, the QB on the losing team kneeling at midfield with his had in his hands.

all of those things gave the game some life. , and that is the thing I miss the most.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »