Home

Pass Defense... Impossible?

This is a discussion on Pass Defense... Impossible? within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-24-2008, 09:49 AM   #9
Rookie

OVR: 3
Re: Pass Defense... Impossible?

Cantwell ended up being 19-23 for 342yds and 5TDS 1INT with a 270.5 QB Rating.

I lost.

Given the fact that he's an impact QB, I'm not really upset, but once I play a cupcake team and their 1star QB does the same thing, thats when I'll get mad.

This **** is getting so ridiculous. Teams that don't even pass the ball a lot in real life are looking like the Colts on this thing.
Old 07-24-2008, 10:01 AM   #10
Rookie

OVR: 2

You've got to change things up on defense. Try to confuse the QB (yes, even the cpu AI).

1. Show blitz when you're not blitzing (Triangle + hitting left stick to the left for PS3 pre-snap). I love to do this when I'm in zone.

2. Use press coverage to bump and change the timing of routes (Triangle + left stick down). I do this especially when I blitz. My corners are much more effective and I get a ton of picks this way.

3. Use different looks. I always use the 4-2-5 but I vary it up every play between over, under, normal, etc. This, again, changes the look the QB sees.

4. Shift your d-lineman to try to create mismatches and create holes for blitzers.

5. At home, make sure you're pumping up the crowd. This does rattle the QB and he will more often make mistakes.

6. Yes, you do need to control your players. Most people will laugh at me but I control a D-lineman to begin (I can knock down a good deal of passes from there) then switch to the player defending the receiver. I get a second chance to make a play on the ball. Works for me.

I'm convinced that the people who are having the most trouble are the people who are doing the least to try to actually control what is going on. Using all the above, I've had lots of games where the computer has a completion percentage of 50% playing on All-American. Hell, I played #3 Texas and beat them 56-0. Their impact player QB didn't even score.

Last edited by BuffCentury; 07-24-2008 at 10:05 AM.
Old 07-24-2008, 10:13 AM   #11
Cade Cunningham

rudyjuly2's Arena

OVR: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuffCentury
Using all the above, I've had lots of games where the computer has a completion percentage of 50% playing on All-American. Hell, I played #3 Texas and beat them 56-0. Their impact player QB didn't even score.
There is a HUGE difference between playing pass defense on AA vs. Heisman. You are correct in that its possible to play good pass defense on AA. On Heisman they will own you.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-24-2008, 10:17 AM   #12
Rookie

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudyjuly2
There is a HUGE difference between playing pass defense on AA vs. Heisman. You are correct in that its possible to play good pass defense on AA. On Heisman they will own you.
I missed the fact he said Heisman in his original post.

Hopefully some of those strategies will help others who are struggling that aren't on Heisman. You don't have to look very far to know they're on this board.
Old 07-24-2008, 10:28 AM   #13
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGreat
I dont think it has anything to do with the QB.

I think the problem is with the Defensive Awareness.

Playing a zone, the defenders could be standing 1 step away from a player and allow him to catch the ball, unless you switch to him manually and defend the pass.

In man, they get burnt on every slant, out, in or post pattern.
At least with the post pattern there is safety help, but everything else underneath is practically money.

I'm in an online dynasty with my friends and it's not fun at all.
I actually cant wait to play the CPU because they at least run the ball. My friends just shotgun it from 1st to 4th.

It has alot to do with the Qb though too. How many times do you see him miss a reciver? The defense will help bat down balls, but the problem is you still aren't seeing wild throws that fall harmlessly to the turf.
Old 07-24-2008, 11:06 AM   #14
Rookie

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by fistofrage
It has alot to do with the Qb though too. How many times do you see him miss a reciver? The defense will help bat down balls, but the problem is you still aren't seeing wild throws that fall harmlessly to the turf.
It is the QB as well. How many college qbs (in real life) can...

1. Deterimne what formation the D is in presnap
2. Know it is zone or man
3. Snap the ball and read if its blitz or not.
4. If its blitz make the perfect throw to the hole in the zone or the out with a LB on him or a RB flank with a LB on him
5. No blitz, sit back and thread a perfect needle in between the hashes, over the dline and LBs but under the handful of zoned or maned db's

Every qb in the game can do this from 1aa to georgia/florida.

Throwing across the middle one of the hardest throws for a college qb... he has to really see all the players on the field to do it. In this game its a 90% throw.

Every qb in this game is named Peyton Marino.

and its a joke.
Old 07-24-2008, 11:38 AM   #15
Rookie

nickaepi's Arena

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGreat
Whether I'm playing the CPU who has an Impact QB or FCS East who has a 51 rated QB, the completion percentage is off the charts.

I played FCS East and the 51 rated QB was over 70%.

Even though I win the majority of these games, except WVU, the passing is really getting to me.

Anybody else having a horrible time, or a great time defending the pass?
What plays, formations, packages are you running?

And I have no problem with the run. Seems as though I can drop 8 dudes into coverage and still stop the run, but thats neither here nor there.
Yeah, I decided to switch back to AA, just for that reason. I am going to play with #1UGA(99 rating as a team), 7 min quarters,default settings and just play through every game, without touching ANY sliders. I already know I will beat FCS East ,like 100-0 because they just can't stop the running game but GA has one of the toughest schedules this year in the NCAA(A+ rating)

I want to see how everything plays out through a full season(playing against Tenn.AUB, LSU,bowl games, etc. and then make an assessment, based off end of year stats, what sliders to move around to make it the most "realistic".

I made the mistake of immediately jumping to Heisman, after 1 game with UGA playing against FCS East (33 team rating) because I beat them 110-10(8 min quarters). Tried Heisman, with OS forum- suggested slider tweaks) but the passing game for cpu was just plain unrealistic and became frustrating very quickly. Anyway, I feel your pain..

3DS- Bravely Default
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-24-2008, 12:01 PM   #16
All Star

callmetaternuts's Arena

OVR: 41

Its not impossible, but its tough. You give up alot of underneath completions and stop the drive either by turnover or touchdown

You too can be a 5* recruit at FSU.......

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwelveozPlaya21
add worthless Xavier Lee to that list..
Quote:
Originally Posted by MassNole
CFL here he comes. Pfft, wait that would require learning a playbook. McDonalds here he comes.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »